FN Herstal Firearms banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Speer makes such weird damn decisions I'm shocked they are making a 5.7x28mm round when they were trying to condense their lineup by discontinuing the 5.56x45mm version of their Gold Dot rifles rounds in favor of making the inferior .223 round "universal". The 5.56x45 version was hotter and produced 1in groups in my 1in7 FN barreled guns(the .223 version does not).

Ammo selection has always been what made me dislike 5.7x28 weapons and why I broomed the 1st gen PS90 I bought when they first came out. I had that weapon a month before I gave up and then here we are 10 years later with only ONE purpose built defensive load from a legit manufacturer that just happens to have a reputation for discontinuing loadings even when they were selling like hotcakes.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that this load is coming out but watching Buffman test it is only half the battle.
Until I can order 10 cases of it I'm not real enthusiastic

·
Registered
997 Posts
Speer makes such weird damn decisions I'm shocked they are making a 5.7x28mm round when they were trying to condense their lineup by discontinuing the 5.56x45mm version of their Gold Dot rifles rounds in favor of making the inferior .223 round "universal". The 5.56x45 version was hotter and produced 1in groups in my 1in7 FN barreled guns(the .223 version does not).

Ammo selection has always been what made me dislike 5.7x28 weapons and why I broomed the 1st gen PS90 I bought when they first came out. I had that weapon a month before I gave up and then here we are 10 years later with only ONE purpose built defensive load from a legit manufacturer that just happens to have a reputation for discontinuing loadings even when they were selling like hotcakes.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that this load is coming out but watching Buffman test it is only half the battle.
there is no other weapon better in cqb then the P90 or PS90 SBR. You have 50 rounds with almost no recoil or muzzle climb. You can move and shoot with ease from a narrow hallway or out of a vehicle while sitting inside. People well say the MP5 blah blah hello 50 rounds!!

Even SS197 is very effective on non armored threats. If you run SS198LF you will have zero issues with your weapon system if you maintain the PS90/P90 with proper lube & maintenance.

There is no one shot magic bullet in any platform ( even a 00 bucks is 9 .32 caliber pellets) There is no one shot magic bullet!!!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts

Guessing Speer wants to capitalize on "Fudd Lore"/Gunshop Talk/Marketing Hype, that they will be the "first" HD/SD ammo for the 5.7 when we all know that isn't true.
I was kind of perplexed at why they discontinued their 5.56 loading in their GD line up. I just finished testing of a smaller company loading them at 5.56 pressures and terminal affect is downright amazing, and accuracy was still maintained.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Capacity, low recoil and velocity is what makes the 5.7 cartridge shine. Couple the cartridge to 34gr and lighter bullets at up to 2,700+ FPS out of the 16" PS90 or 2,300+ FPS out of the FiveSeveN pistol and you have a very lethal cartridge that's just plain easy to shoot by any novice shooter. Boutique ammo or handloads gets you everything you could ever need in a short range weapon.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Given that the 5.7 28mm has the reputatiion as "Cop killer". I'll bet you're correct. I'd like to see what it'll do though.
Would you people quit calling SS198LF “armor piercing” or “cop killer” ammo? It is not. No more than many other much more powerful grounds widely available for SD use. We already been down that road with the banners, and here you are resurrecting the myths so the ignorant or banners can raise their ugly heads again.

From the FN website:

“FN SS198LF Lead Free Round ammunition-SS198LF-Lead-Free-Round

LE restricted aluminum-core hollow point duty round with green tip. The lead-free primer and projectile have the added benefit of making it comply with agency or indoor ranges that might prohibit lead use”

The GCA defines “armor piercing ammunition” as:

“(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.”

The muzzle energy of 5.7 ammo, including SS198LF, are roughly equal to or less than a common 9MM round, and expansion on 5.7 ammo hollow points is much less.

There is no civilian version of armor piercing ammo available for sale in the United States as defined by law and regulated by the BATFE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Capacity, low recoil and velocity is what makes the 5.7 cartridge shine. Couple the cartridge to 34gr and lighter bullets at up to 2,700+ FPS out of the 16" PS90 or 2,300+ FPS out of the FiveSeveN pistol and you have a very lethal cartridge that's just plain easy to shoot by any novice shooter. Boutique ammo or handloads gets you everything you could ever need in a short range weapon.
I am not disputing your numbers, but could you provide a source for 2,300 FPS out of the pistol? I would like to see which cartridge load you are talking about.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Would you people quit calling SS198LF “armor piercing” or “cop killer” ammo? It is not. No more than many other much more powerful grounds widely available for SD use. We already been down that road with the banners, and here you are resurrecting the myths so the ignorant or banners can raise their ugly heads again.

From the FN website:

“FN SS198LF Lead Free Round ammunition-SS198LF-Lead-Free-Round

LE restricted aluminum-core hollow point duty round with green tip. The lead-free primer and projectile have the added benefit of making it comply with agency or indoor ranges that might prohibit lead use”

The GCA defines “armor piercing ammunition” as:

“(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.”

The muzzle energy of 5.7 ammo, including SS198LF, are roughly equal to or less than a common 9MM round, and expansion on 5.7 ammo hollow points is much less.

There is no civilian version of armor piercing ammo available for sale in the United States as defined by law and regulated by the BATFE.

I wouldn't call it a "myth" that's the name gangbangers and cartel members gave it in Mexico, and is why it's sought out down there. I'm guessing most officers down there are using level II or IIA armor, and SS197SR would have no problems with IIA from the pistol. Since they are who they are, I'm guessing getting SS190 is easy for them. In the US only 2 verified officer deaths involving the FSN..

But yes in the US, only L191, and SS190 fit the federal definition of AP, as what it can and can't penetrate don't matter. It's solely based on 1 Used in a pistol, and it's construction.
There are however plenty of places to buy Federally regulated AP ammo in the US. Civilians can. You just can't go buy it from an FFL/ammo store, so you're doing to pay a premium for it..

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I am not disputing your numbers, but could you provide a source for 2,300 FPS out of the pistol? I would like to see which cartridge load you are talking about.

Elite Ammo's S4M/UR, Dev 3.0/ T6B, or Vanguard's Black Dragon Fang

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

Buffman listed the factory available ones that I know of off the top of my head. I also reload performance/defense loads for my FSN. I get 2,200 fps using Cutting Edge MTH 32gr bullets and 2,475 fps using pulled SS195 27gr bullets.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So here we are, more than 6 months later, and no Speer 5.7x28 ammo on the market.

Silence from Speer.

Nada.

Did they give up on it?

Vaporware?

:th_confused0024:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Guessing Covid-19 put a hurting. I need to bug my contact again
And they are shipping other Speer ammo, including new ammo they just announced?

I would be interested in hearing what they say the holdup is, but my bet is they blame it on CV-19, whether that is true or not.

Surely they haven't stopped production of all their other ammo.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts