FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to apologize right off the bat for not having pictures.

I bought my FNX 45 Tactical in January of 2013 and have since put at least 1,500 rounds of PMC Bronze through it because it's the cheapest ammo available to me that isn't complete garbage (or so I thought). The only thing that I could even consider a minor hiccup is if I let it go a few hundred rounds without being cleaned or oiled I can feel the slide moving forward a little bit slower when chambering a round after a mag change. Otherwise there has never been an FTF, FTE or even a perceived break-in period where it ran funny. Fast forward to a few days ago, when I was at the range with a friend. He was shooting while I was in a different lane and suddenly cleared the gun and put it down, saying after a few normal "bangs" he heard a quiet "pop." He picked up a casing off the ground that was rippled/bulged and had a jagged split from top to bottom. Unfortunately while I was inspecting the gun and checking the barrel he threw the casing in the brass bucket and we weren't able to find it afterwards. The barrel was clear but pretty dirty and the target had a dent in it that looked like it was hit with a shotgun wad, which I'm assuming is from the round barely having enough velocity to leave the barrel. The target was 7-10 yards out and the dent was low and left. The gun didn't appear to have any damage and shot another 20-30 rounds as flawless as always.

I have noticed that my Sig P229 chambered in .40 doesn't like the PMC Bronze. It will frequently (almost every mag) jam about 3/4 of the way forward when chambering a new round and will occasionally jam in the same location (once or twice per box of 50) while firing. This gun shoots Hydra-Shok and American Eagle just fine and even feels smoother when chambering those rounds so I'm chalking this up to PMC just being generally crappy, although my Glock eats it up just fine. I'm hoping the same can be said for the FNX, that it was just a bad round and nothing to do with the gun but I wanted to post up and see if some more experienced shooters can shed some light on this situation. Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Definitely dirty, and this is the first incident I've had that actually concerns me. The slide on the Sig getting a little jammed up is something I can deal with since it's just practice ammo for the range. I've put about a case of the bronze through that and have never had a problem aside from the FTF's. I've also put 300-400 rounds of PMC X-Tac through my Colt 6920 since I got it in December and that's been fine, too. I forgot to mention that a case of Federal 45D JHP went through the FNX without being cleaned or oiled and it ran perfectly from start to finish, which is why I'm hoping that I can be reassured it was just a bad round.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Was is split from the mouth down towards the base? In the SIP P238 that I had, I had one round do that (remingtong golden saber). Had a pretty big split from the mouth and stove-piped (it looked like some of the brass actually ran with the grooves in the barrel for a couple mm).

I still have about 600 rounds of 9mm pmc. So far, no issues with it. I do prefer several other brands though (S&B has been decent, GECO was quite good, Blazer brass has been good for me)

·
Registered
480 Posts
PMC is quality ammo (not the best) but the pistol target ammo has a smaller charge than American Eagle target ammo. It is not uncommon for an occasional defective brass case as the manufacturing process is complex so if the raw brass is defective than the end product will be defective. I am guessing the brass metal was defective since the pistol was not a KB. Another reason is ammonia contamination.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was is split from the mouth down towards the base? In the SIP P238 that I had, I had one round do that (remingtong golden saber). Had a pretty big split from the mouth and stove-piped (it looked like some of the brass actually ran with the grooves in the barrel for a couple mm).

I still have about 600 rounds of 9mm pmc. So far, no issues with it. I do prefer several other brands though (S&B has been decent, GECO was quite good, Blazer brass has been good for me)
It did look like the split started at the mouth and worked its way down but I didn't get a great look at it. I'm hoping that it was just an isolated case of a bad round and it will continue to shoot for me. I get it cheap enough that nothing else is really worth buying and this was only one round out of almost 2,000 but if it keeps happening then I'll have to start putting out more cash for the better stuff. I mostly just wanted to make sure that there was nothing else I should be looking for; if there was something on the gun itself that could cause this. I'll keep everyone updated if I have further problems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Becareful with that stuff. We had a run of bad aluminum cased ammo some years ago. Numerous barrels were damaged (including my Sig P220). The casings were weak, and a small hole would blow out of the casing when fired and act like an Acy. torch to the chamber of the barrel and melt craters into the chamber.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I would chalk it up to a bad piece of brass. I'm reloading all of mine now, so I keep it all and haven't noticed any that were bulged or otherwise damaged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts