FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it looks like I missed the boat with the March fulfillment of back orders and now Sportsmans Guide is telling me that they will no longer honor my backlorder.

I placed my original order way back in October 2013

1) Federal® American Eagle 5.7x28mm 40 Grain FMJ Ammo, 50 rds. (Product: WX2-311018)
You must be 21 years of age to purchase this item.
Expected availability: November 18, 2013.
Quantity: 10, Club Unit Price: $18.99, Club Total Price: $189.90

Payment Information:
Merchandise Total:$189.90
Shipping Method:Ground
Shipping and Handling:$17.99
Package Protection:$0.99
Coupon [SG2478]-$10.00
[HR][/HR]
Grand Total:$198.88

Today I get this email:

Dear TWar,

Please accept my apology for the long wait you've had for your order for 311018-000-000 (50RD 5.7X28MM 40GR FMJ AMMO) ammunition. As you likely know, these are very uncertain, erratic times in the ammunition business. In my more than 45 years in this industry, I've never seen anything like the current shortage, or undependable shipping dates from some manufacturers. Even after a year, it continues to be a frustrating situation...for you, and for us as well.
Be assured that my buyers and I are doing EVERYTHING we can to get the ammunition you, and customers like you, want. Everything.
Now, regretfully, I'm writing to tell you our supplier will not have this item available in the promised time frame, and in fact, cannot even give us any kind of reliable timeline for delivery. Because of that, we're cancelling the backorder for this item on your order #93497xxx.

Certainly not good. What I'm going to do is add you to the front of my Notify Me list for this item. That means that if/when we ultimately do get the item in, you'll be among the first to get an in-stock notification email so that you can buy it then if you'd like.
I do want to let you know that we have a good assortment of other calibers in stock. AT THIS MOMENT. Subject to change, literally at any minute. Unfortunately, that's the current nature of the beast.

Trust me, this is not how I like to do business. I absolutely hate letting loyal customers like you down, and as a small token of apology I'd like to offer you $20 off your next order of $49 or more.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. And for your business. I appreciate it.
Gary Olen
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anybody want to place bets on how long it takes for the American Eagle 5.7x28mm 40 Grain FMJ Ammo to show up on their website? :th_sign0080:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Glad I pulled my orders from them awhile back for local purchase. Wondering if there is grounds for something on this kind of tactic. Honoring ones word/contract kind of thing. Never renewed my membership with them.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I feel your pain. Had a very similar experience for over a year with midway and a week later, got a notification my order was in stock but by the time I replaced the order, they were sold out. ;-)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Most likely they cannot get the ammo for the price they were quoted when they listed it for $18.99 a box, and they are not willing to sell it at no profit, so they would rather blame it on "erratic times" and cancel your order so you have to place a new one for the new elevated price. I guess I understand it, but at the same time, if you take a back order and promise a price, you better eat it and fill that order... otherwise don't.

Reactions: 3gunheavy

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
After a year on backorder and 8 rescheduled delivery dates I was finally notified my 2500 rounds or 22lr was canceled. Wankers

·
Registered
454 Posts
Couple years back I had my troy MCS chassis on backorder through them, and after over 6 months they cancelled it. I then found it at another website for even cheaper.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had an older 5.7 backorder with them which they did belatedly fill. In fact they have been more upfront with regard to ammo backorders than Brownells or Midway in my experience. I'm guessing all the vendors are under a variety of pressures, most of which are not under their control. Does suck getting that e-mail, but I can also tell you that the "notify me" thing is for real, but you have to be a bit lucky - jumping on the e-mail quickly when notified and placing order on the spot.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I don't remember the price but it was over 20 under 25 from what I remember

when I got home today my order with them I made Monday came in like I said this is first time I've seen an issue with them

·
Registered
357 Posts
If they would belatedly fill my back order, even if it took another 5 months, I would would be happy.
I get it and very much agree with you. When placing an order for a good price only to have item go to backorder status, I understand that I won't have ammo in hand for immediate use, but do reasonably assume that whenever FNH catches up with production, I will see the ammo and am entirely willing to wait if I have to. Am curious if you were a "member" at the time. I have received periodic emails to update my order and confirm I still wanted to buy vs cancel when backorder status was somewhere around 4-6 months old. Earlier this year SG filled my order for 500 rounds at $21 a box. I'll have to look how old that order was.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yup. They canceled both of my backorders. While I can understand their position, there's no way I'm going to renew a membership with them after the experience.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been a Buyers Club member for more years than I can count.

Emails? You mean the ones with the heading " Action Required - Regarding Your Order?" I have clicked "keep this item on order" on 3 different emails since I placed the order back in October.

Here is the one they sent Wednesday, 26 March, 2014, ... just two days before informing me they decided to cancel my backorder. :evil:

We need your approval to maintain the following backorders.

Item:311018-000-000 (50RD 5.7X28MM 40GR FMJ A)
Quantity/Cost:10 @ $18.99 (Extended: $189.90)
Expected Ship Date:07/29/14
To keep this item on order click here!
To cancel this item click here!

I'm done ::0::. Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd be p.o.ed as well: thats a great price! Thats 2011 and earlier pricing, the numbers which I thought for sure I would never see again! I'm wondering if they made a mistake and thought this was the best way to wiggle out of it.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My backorder of 20 boxes @ 18.99 at Sportsmansguide was filled a week or so ago. I have been doing business with them for a couple of years now and never had a problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good for you. I'm jealous.

They not only didn't fill my backorder, they refuse to honor it. I've been doing business with them since the early 90"s.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yeah, anyway you look at it, it does suck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts