FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really want an SPR A2 but have read Remington and Savage put out fine 308 rifles for far less money. I have an FNP9 a FiveseveN and favor the FN brand. I do not really want to "settle" for an A1, no offense but if I'm going to drop the cash for an FN I think it should be for an A2. I am looking for the opinion of those who have one. Is the SPR A1 or A2 really worth the premium over the others?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Im curious as well. I have a Remongton 700 BDL Hvy barrel varmint, synthetic stock in 22-250 that is wonderfully accurate. Ive been pondering a similar rifle in .308 The FN and a few others have my curiosity at this point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FBI seems to think so, I thought I read alot of their snipe/scouts are now using FN bolts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The A1 and A2 are great rifles. Out of the box this rifle (I have the A1, the A2 I believe is just a better stock) is one of the best you can buy, no modifications, except setting the trigger (which is easy) to your liking. You can buy any SPR, add a scope, and its ready to go. I will not argue that Remington and Savage do make nice rifles but, they do not have the Winchester 70 action, which is suburb, or a McMillan stock. Both of which are reason enough to spend the extra dough on one. If you want something that will turn heads, never fail, and out of the box will shot 1/2 MOA then the SPR is for you. If you want something that is highly modifiable, then maybe the Remington or Savage is for you. Keep in mind that FNH has said a 10 round mag is in development and anything for the legendary Winchester 70 pre'64 action is usable, this weapon is also very customizable. On mine I have a Harris Swivel 6"-9", Leupold 3.5-10x40mm SF FFP TMR scope, Blackhawk Cheekrest, Accu-shot precision monopod, trigger set to 3lbs, and a Tactical intervention sling and I cannot screw up. On a bad day I shoot .75 MOA. This rifle is amazing, no feed problems and suburb performance with a non-bedded rifle. You just cant go wrong. And with the chrome lined bore, it will pass the test of time.

I bought a FN FNP 40 and was so amazed with its performance, I will always buy an FN above anything else. They will not fail and when it matters most, that is the key.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would say the money difference is worth it. on a remington police .308 you will drop about $1K, on the SPR A2 about $2K.

on the remington police you will have to add a mcmillan stock, badger ordnance bottom metal, bolt knob, and scope rail to compete with the spr A2 out of the box. if you add all that up its going to be more than $1k in aftermarket parts.

the benefit of getting the remington 700 is you get to build up the rifle the way you want it, but you honestly could get a pbr xp barreled action from CDNN for less money than a remington 700 and still be able to build a rifle the way you want.

the benefit of getting the SPR A2 is that you get a very good rifle out of the box that you don't have to work on, just mount a scope and have fun!

another thing to think about is that remington 700's are very popular so that means a lot of aftermarket parts available, but i think you can find everything you need for an FN you just have to look.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Curiosity sent me to the Remington site. The model I bought years ago was basically the same as the tactical models except for the chambering. It had a nice looking,comfortable Mcmillan stock with the aluminum block, dual sling studs. The shape of the stock was well suited for firing prone with a bipod. I replaced the trigger and was good to go. Now I see the current tactical offerings have a Hogue stock with a much more traditional shape. Not very appealing to my tastes. So I really would need to build from scratch. The FN's looking like a better choice for me.

Ive also been eyeballing these though

Tikka T3 Tactical

http://www.berettausa.com/product/rifles/series_page.cfm?currentseries=27

TRG 22

http://www.berettausa.com/product/rifles/series_page.cfm?currentseries=10

jeez killing milk jugs full of water at long ranges is an expensive sport :lol:

drew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rizzo I believe you're right the only difference is the stock. The A3 on the other hand has a fluted barrel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thats what I thought. I called McMillan and they said that the stock on the A2 (if I were to buy it) would cost me about $500 and the A5 around $700. So Im going to send them my SPR and they will put the adjustable cheek piece and spacer system that some of the more expensive SPRs have for $218 installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
imschur said:
Curiosity sent me to the Remington site. The model I bought years ago was basically the same as the tactical models except for the chambering. It had a nice looking,comfortable Mcmillan stock with the aluminum block, dual sling studs. The shape of the stock was well suited for firing prone with a bipod. I replaced the trigger and was good to go. Now I see the current tactical offerings have a Hogue stock with a much more traditional shape. Not very appealing to my tastes. So I really would need to build from scratch. The FN's looking like a better choice for me.

Ive also been eyeballing these though

Tikka T3 Tactical

http://www.berettausa.com/product/rifles/series_page.cfm?currentseries=27

TRG 22

http://www.berettausa.com/product/rifles/series_page.cfm?currentseries=10

jeez killing milk jugs full of water at long ranges is an expensive sport :lol:

drew

The only McMillan stocks used by Remington that I am aware of are those found on Custom Shop 40x's. The rifle you have most likely has a HS stock on it. McMillan does not use a aluminum bedding block. The MM's do add to the total cost but are well worth it.

You cant put a price on shooting milk jugs :? ...........

Sako TRG 42 338 Lapua
Bushmaster BA-50 50 BMG
FN SPR A1 308 Win

·
Registered
408 Posts
DoubleA,
Where'd you get the extended magazine for the SPR? I want one!!!!

Zhur

·
Registered
102 Posts
probably a bottom metal conversion kit. FN said they will be releasing 10rd mags but who knows when, im still waiting on my extra 4rd mag from them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts