FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

It's been a couple weeks and I have more questions. This time it is about "Bedding". I'm taking my rifle to have the trigger adjusted to see if a lighter trigger pull would help with my accuracy and I'm thinking about getting it bedded too. Do you think bedding the factory A5M XP is necessary? If so, which part(s) would you recommend to be bedded?

I'm taking it to Roberts Precision Rifles in Spring, TX.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I'm wth HK, the action is spot bedded from factory. Full contact bedding of the action can be added but IMO really isn't necessary. I believe that is the difference with A3G, the action is fully bedded. That said when I had the trigger worked in my XP I had the action fully bedded. I haven't seen much of a change although I've only shot it once. It still shoots about an inch at 200 Meters with FGMM 168s.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I would agree with HK, no further bedding is needed. My A5m action is very snug in the stock and they are 'spot' bedded, not fully bedded like the A3g's are, but I honestly don't think it would add much to the accuracy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you again for the inputs.

I'm gonna take a class at the end of January so I just wanna make sure my rifle will be perfect for it. Also the class description says that I'll be going through around 300 rounds... My shoulder normally gets sore after ~60 round so I'm looking at some of the recoil pads, not one of the wearable ones. I'm looking at the LimbSaver or Pachmayr Decelerator buttstock pad on McMillan website. Does anyone have any experience with those?

·
Registered
218 Posts
300 rounds sounds like fun. I don't find .308 to be punishing at all, particularly through a heavy platform like the SPR. Are you sure you need it? I see you live in Houston but it should still be cold enough to wear a heavy jacket. That might be all you need.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'd DEFINITELY have it bedded.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts