FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am hanging out in the shop I used to work at (DeGoff's) today and looked through the used handgun section, when lo and behold......a very lightly used Springfield Armory Operator, is staring back at me.

I'd been looking around, not too seriously, at picking up another 1911 pistol, and this filled all my requirements.

Armory finish green frame, black slide, Novak night sights, match barrel.

The Pachmayr grips and the ambi safety are gonna go though.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Did Ship rub off on ya?

I really want one of those. How much did it cost ya, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
CONGRATS!

I have one too - that's the 1st generation frame MC Operator. The front of the frame now has a slight angle. I added a magwell to mine. Really like it!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I like the looks of the newer version a bit better. I also like the addition of that magwell Ship-it looks good and makes it look "complete"

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
djv38 said:
I like the looks of the newer version a bit better. I also like the addition of that magwell Ship-it looks good and makes it look "complete"
Well`some people aren't magwell fans (I am). He also probably got his for less than I paid for mine new.

Templar - if interested in adding a magwell EASILY - all I did was buy one of those self attaching Wilson magwells that hook onto the grip screws.

Then after making sure it fit - I sent it off to CCR Refinishing for a matte black finish - now it matches the black on the gun (it was blue steel before)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to swap out the key lock mainspring housing anyway Ship, so I might very well put a mag well on, but I might also keep it stock, as I'm going to try using it as a carry piece sometimes, and anything added to the butt tends to make things print worse.

I tried looking on Springfield's website for a retail price, but it looks like they don't have list pricing anymore.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Yes, a magwell does make the grip longer. I bought mine as a range toy.

I paid $1080 + tax for mine a few months ago.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I saw somewhere retail was $1350 or so. I found one dealer online that had them for $999, but most were about the price Ship paid for it.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
The only other thing I had to do - I HATE the night sights Springfield uses... The ones with those silver rings.

AT my dimly lit indoor range, its so dark that the front sight looks almost black - but not dark rnough for tritium to be seen.

Since mine is just a range toy - I put Night Siters on mine. They make great, white dots to see. They work much better.

On that Springfield Custom Full Rail Operator I ordered, I got them to use Novaks with white circles on them. That solves the problem with that....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with you on the sights, I'll probably replace these with some Heine Straight 8's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts