FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,479 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O'Neill said:
The Springfields look nice. Is there a problem with them?
not that Im aware of but I usually dont find out the bad stuff until after I buy something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
O'Neill said:
The Springfields look nice. Is there a problem with them?
Springfield ran out of GI parts years ago. Some of the commercial parts they use are fine, some not so much.

Generally, you want as many USGI parts on your M14 clone as possible, the quality is usually better and the parts were built under gov't guidelines and had to meet spec.

The barrels that Springfield uses have .308 chambers, and sometimes they work just fine with military surplus 7.62 NATO, sometimes not so much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Or you could just buy a FN-FAL and be done with it... after all, it woulda been the M14 (T48) if it were "American designed". Never mind the fact that FN was giving free license to produce as a "thank you" for being saved from the Germans. Cheaper mags, and more flexability for ammo too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
+1 to Fulton Armory

I don't know of anyone with more M1A knowledge or expertise. Good folks too.

They are local and I've been in there a few times looking for odd parts- they never disappoint. They only do quality. They would be my first choice for a M14 / M1A... before Springfield Armory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Templar said:
O'Neill said:
The Springfields look nice. Is there a problem with them?
Springfield ran out of GI parts years ago. Some of the commercial parts they use are fine, some not so much.

Generally, you want as many USGI parts on your M14 clone as possible, the quality is usually better and the parts were built under gov't guidelines and had to meet spec.

The barrels that Springfield uses have .308 chambers, and sometimes they work just fine with military surplus 7.62 NATO, sometimes not so much.
The Springfield Armory M1A is one of the most reliable rifles you can buy. All Springfield M1A's are designed and build to specifications to shoot 7.62 x 51 mm NATO ammunition. I have a M1A-SOCOM16 and I love it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
ICM856 said:
Templar said:
O'Neill said:
The Springfields look nice. Is there a problem with them?
Springfield ran out of GI parts years ago. Some of the commercial parts they use are fine, some not so much.

Generally, you want as many USGI parts on your M14 clone as possible, the quality is usually better and the parts were built under gov't guidelines and had to meet spec.

The barrels that Springfield uses have .308 chambers, and sometimes they work just fine with military surplus 7.62 NATO, sometimes not so much.
The Springfield Armory M1A is one of the most reliable rifles you can buy. All Springfield M1A's are designed and build to specifications to shoot 7.62 x 51 mm NATO ammunition. I have a M1A-SOCOM16 and I love it!


And I've seen plenty that wouldn't work or had serious issues. I'm not saying that they're crap, I've owned plenty, but there are better alternatives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Templar said:
ICM856 said:
Templar said:
O'Neill said:
The Springfields look nice. Is there a problem with them?
Springfield ran out of GI parts years ago. Some of the commercial parts they use are fine, some not so much.

Generally, you want as many USGI parts on your M14 clone as possible, the quality is usually better and the parts were built under gov't guidelines and had to meet spec.

The barrels that Springfield uses have .308 chambers, and sometimes they work just fine with military surplus 7.62 NATO, sometimes not so much.
The Springfield Armory M1A is one of the most reliable rifles you can buy. All Springfield M1A's are designed and build to specifications to shoot 7.62 x 51 mm NATO ammunition. I have a M1A-SOCOM16 and I love it!


And I've seen plenty that wouldn't work or had serious issues. I'm not saying that they're crap, I've owned plenty, but there are better alternatives.
Oh really? Do you have any proof to back up what you are saying? Perhaps a link about this on another forum? Or ANY real credible information, besides "I've seen plenty"??? What kind of problems???? Your post is nothing but BS dude! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
I sold firearms for 18 years, and in that time I've seen several that cracked and blew out their commercial extractor, causing the inernals of the bolt to come out.

In those 18 years, yes, I saw "plenty" that had issues. Unfortunately, I don't have the repair invoices in front of me, I got out of the retail side of things in '05.

My father's M1A Standard, that was purchased in 2003, decided to stop going into battery while we were shooting.

He'd fire, the bolt wouldn't go into battery, and the round would not impact at point of aim. He tried one more time, after that I stopped him.

I couldn't see anything immediately wrong with the rifle so I started to field strip it.

I was holding the receiver in my left hand, my right hand had the barrel assembly. Something didn't "feel right", and when I exerted a little pressure, the barrel unscrewed from the receiver.

The rifle had less than 300 rounds through it, and was purchased new.

This happened on a Saturday. I called them first thing Monday morning. If the rifle had fired out of battery and injured my father, we would have owned Springfield.

I talked to the head of their repair dept. He agreed on how serious this was. I told them that I was going to send it in under warranty and that when I got it back, the whole rifle was going to be USGI (with the exception of the receiver of course). They were able to use the same receiver, but we got a GI barrel that they had stashed that was niw, new GI oprod, bolt, and a hand picked beautiful GI walnut stock.

The rifle was dangerous as it had left the Springfield factory, but they did make it right, their C.S. and repair dept. are some of the best in the industry.

I've also seen standard M1A's that you needed a screw driver to get the op rod out of (commercial receiver and op rods), and ones with chambers that wouldn't do well with surplus ammo, but ran fine with commercial .308 Win.

Springfield can make a fine rifle, but I would certainly look for an older one that has a majority of GI parts, especially the barrel, op rod, and bolt.

Nothing made by man is infallible. I've owned 3 Springfield semi auto M1A's (all older GI parts rifles) and one Smith Enterprises transferrable select fire M14. They're decent rifles.

I'm glad you're happy as punch with your M1A SOCOM. Next time though, instead of being a jerk on the internet, you might consider responding to someone you've never met as if they were standing in front of you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
LOL, well Templar your post are nothing more than nonsense. I ask you for proof, you have none. And now your trying to be a tuff guy and start with the name calling huh? Your lack of firearms knowledge is evident. Have you no real credible information? Have you ever posted about this on another forum? Your name calling just showcases your lack of intelligence. :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,559 Posts
OK... we're off topic now. And, I can see how this is going to continue to progress with reply after reply.

Everyone here knows I don't typically lock threads (we're pretty laid back), nor do I complain when threads go off topic. But, I do not see anything productive coming out of this now...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,479 Posts
If you gentlemen wish to continue this, please do it in a PM or Email.
Thank you.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top