FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The American Handgunner magazine did a review of the Springfield EMP in it's most recent issue. They had nothing but praise for this compact 9mm. Beautifull looking piece I must say. Sounds like it might be a good cc weapon. Anyone own one or have shot one. Would like to hear some personal feedback. Somewhat considering a possible purchase down the road if the price drops or slightly used ones begin to show up at a decent price. A new one will run between $900 and $1000.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I have shot one - I was at the range a couple of months ago, and I guy had a new one he was trying.

For the size, I was amazed at the low recoil. It felt nice.

However, he was having a lot of feeding issues. I have also seen comments reporting the same on many gun forums. Not all of them seem to have this issue - as I've seen some people state that theirs works great. But, the number of reports I have seen are enough to give me pause if I was in the market for one.

Also, I have seen a lot of comments about the sights being slightly off. His was off a bit too. And, since the gun is new - there are no aftermarket ones yet.

I prev had a Springfield TRP with the same style of sights - the Novak tritium w/ a SILVER ring around them. Instead of putting the nice white ring around the tritium like the trijicon novak's have, they are using a cheaper trotium novak sight. The front dot is extremely hard to see if you are at an indoor range where it's not quite dark enough to see the tritium glow.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Ship. I think the feeding issue was mentioned in magazine review as well. I think they reported that after a short break in period of a couple hundred rounds it cured itself and performed flawlessly therafter. How was the grip on this gun for a sub compact? Looks like a full size grip in terms of length but narrower. If I can find a nice concealable semi automatic with a decent grip I would go with it.
The cost is still prohibitive on the gun however. I think they could have done away with some of the bling bling on this gun and made the price point more attractive. I'll say it again though a beautifull looking piece.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
The grip was nice. I really liked the gun except for the sights.

If the thing wasn't over $900 and the feeding issues went away, I might be interested. It's thinner than my P99c.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Not big on Springfield handguns (except for the 1911 series). I'll have a real EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) weapon. :-D

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
If the price comes down I will be wanting to get one. It would make a good little brother for a Kimber Ultra Carry II. :D

TA

·
Registered
857 Posts
personaly - I don't like single action for carry
IMO fulling with the safety just adds something to the mix that can go wrong

·
Registered
95 Posts
I rented one at the range and put two boxes of ammo through it without any failures. 1911s are really comfortable for me (like most people) so the EMP was pleasing to shoot. The price is high, but it seems well built. The biggest selling point to me is the manual-of-arms commonality with the 1911.

I might consider one if/when it comes out in .40S&W. For now, my CCW will remain a Glock 27.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
wlcohen said:
personaly - I don't like single action for carry
IMO fulling with the safety just adds something to the mix that can go wrong
I sort of agree with this now. In the 1990s, all I ever shot were 1911s. Thumbing the safety was second nature, and I didn't worry about having a possible scenario where I would have to worry about this being an issue.

BUt, now my P99s are my main guns. And, I go back and forth on whether to keep my USPc cocked and locked, since it isn't second nature any longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts