FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Those of you who follow 13C Gun Reviews know I had quite a bit of experience with the XDS 45 prior to buying my XDS in 9mm. I had a chance to evaluate a few T&E guns as well as those friends and colleagues purchased themselves.

While I wasn’t in a rush for a new EDC (every day carry), or backup EDC to be precise, I did want an XDS in my collection. So rather than buy when they first came out, I waited until prices settled a bit and picked one up… about a week and a half before the recall.

The first weekend I picked it up I did quite a bit of dry practice with it and I had one solid range day of live fire with it before shipping it back. While it wasn’t the most stellar piece I definitely preferred it to some other options like the Ruger LC9 and I placed it just sightly ahead of the M&P Shield.

When it first came back my gut reaction was to trade it in on a Shield as fast as I could get to my LGS. Right out of the box the trigger was abysmal. The trigger pull hadn’t just increased but worse than that, it was gritty and little spongy.

Other people had described the trigger on a repaired XDS being referred to as almost “two stage” and the amount of travel is remarkable in and of itself but I’m not talking about that, I’m specifically speaking about the press itself once you take up the slack. Right out of the box it’s horrible.

I wasn’t sure what I was going to receive leading up to getting my XDS back. I knew I was probably in for a heavier trigger but beyond that reports have been all over the place from “crisp and constant” and “clean break” to the issues I’m having with my mine. Some had indicated the trigger gets better when it is “broken in”… Broken in? I’m sorry, I didn’t realize I bought another Keltec P11.

If it needs to be broken in, then there are problems that haven’t been properly addressed at the factory which result in to poor workmanship and quality control that then manifest themselves into fit and finish problems, or worse.

Read more: Springfield XDS ? After the Recall Repair | The Bang Switch

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for that. I have a Shield 9mm on the way this week, but I have been considering picking up the XDS 45acp. I'll probably stick it out and see if S&W ever produces a 45acp Shield as I think the M&P pistols are the best fit for my hands.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Such a shame, was seriously considering the XDS for concealed carry, size and caliber (.45) were exactly what I was looking for

·
Registered
508 Posts
I sold my XDS as soon as it came back from the recall upgrade/repair. After a trip to the factory for malfunctions and another trip for the recall, the XDS lost its luster.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm hoping maybe they'll take this feedback into account and alter the design accordingly.....possibly.....I heard the company is customer service oriented

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've never liked the stock trigger on any xd. They feel sloppy. Take up is a mile long and I don't like playing the guessing game as to where it breaks. Trigger reset is awful and I swear they reset at random points. I purchased mine a week before the XDm's came out (and long before I learned to shoot correctly) and heard the XDm's had an upgraded match trigger. It felt the Salome to me. That being said, I love the ergonomics and feel of the xd. If they would clean up the trigger at the factory, it would be a top tier handgun. My EDC is an xd 40 with a trigger job from a local gunsmith that does wonders on the xd. Short takup, clean break, short reset. $160 well spent. Not a bad option since you can pick one up fairly cheap from people dumping them on BP...

·
Registered
24 Posts
It wasn't long after I purchased my XDS45 I realized I had made a big mistake. Additionally, the recall came out just after I acquired mine, (poor timing on my part.) Sent it in for the recall and now it absolutely has the worst trigger action of any firearm I've never handled. I am starting to think these polymer framed striker fired wonders aren't what they are cracked up to be!!! I had it on consignment at the LGS but everyone that handled it handed it right back. I guess I'm stuck with this thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts