FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post does not have anything to do with FN, but I got my first taste of what the range owner called a "squib load" last thursday.
Until I got my FN's I have been a full fledged shooter of the 38 super.
I usually shoot them in a Kimber 1911 either 4 or 5 inch.
I had had some problems with the new 4" failing to eject the spent carteridge.
I suspected the problem was some reloads I got on trade from a previous speed shooter of 38 supers in an RIA 1911.
So, this Thursday I took new Aguila 38 supers with me to find out for myself If the relaods were my problem.
I finished off a full clip of 9 rounds and started the second clip.
No failures to eject.
A couple of rounds into the second clip and the round goes off without any recoil.
I drop the magazine and pull the slide back.
The shell was still in the cylinder so I extract it.
My buddy in the next booth says you better check the barrel.
I lock the slide back and peer into the barrel, and there is no light.
Well you guessed it, the bullet is only an inch or so into the barrel.
I carry a brass rod and I punched it out.
The same thing happened to my buddy a few minutes later, but he was using his own reloads.
It was a good thing that we checked the barrel or I would have been in a bad fix.
I saw this happen twice with a S&W 629 44 magnum on two occasions.
The factory shells split and left the bullet lodged between the cylinder and the barrel.
That guy was lucky too!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had a squib in 32acp that was also a reload. No recoil, minimal noise and a bunch of smoke. Bullet lodged about an inch from the muzzle. Ended my shooting session for the day since I did not have a rod and hammer to remove the bullet.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Aguila almost gave me a squib in 9mm. The projectile thankfully made it out of the barrel, but barely.

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
Knock on wood... I haven't had 1, I wonder if they are primarily a handgun kind of thing ? I would assume that it can happen to either type of rounds and also rimfire.
Thanks for bring this up.
I always travel to the range with my suitcase/gun case.... albiet... it is not always fully stocked with everything, it has some rods in it all the time. I have run across all kinds of incidents when shooting rifles, so I go preparred. Most times I even carry a Otis cleaning kid ( the Elite kit ).

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Knock on wood... I haven't had 1, I wonder if they are primarily a handgun kind of thing ? I would assume that it can happen to either type of rounds and also rimfire.
Thanks for bring this up.
I always travel to the range with my suitcase/gun case.... albiet... it is not always fully stocked with everything, it has some rods in it all the time. I have run across all kinds of incidents when shooting rifles, so I go preparred. Most times I even carry a Otis cleaning kid ( the Elite kit ).
I've heard of it happening in rifles on several occasions and rimfire (Aquila Super colibre IIRC is very weak to be really quite and has resulted in squibs for one guy I know who shoots them in his garage)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been a gun lover for over 60 years now. My love started with a little Stevens falling block 22 at 10 years old.
My love of the big bore guns ended with open heart surgery.
The doc said no more hard kicking guns, so I graduated to nothing bigger than a 357.
Aguila is noted for making good bullets as some countries limit civilian bullet size to 38/357's.
I even shoot 38 supers in my S&W 60-14's and the 686 because the extractor pulls the narrow rimed shells out of the cylinders.
I have many Rossi and Henry 38/357 lever guns and some of them will chamber and shoot 38 supers.
This fetish leaves me with few choices in round brands for the 38 super.
Aguila is the easiest to aquire in my area.
I surely do not wish to have a squib round in one of lever guns.
So, I'm done with shooting 38 supers in the lever guns.
I parted with two Henry Big Boys in 38/357 to acquire the PS90.
OooH! how sweet that PS90 is!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Good to hear you checked that bore.

I had it happen to a 12ga once. I pulled the trigger and the shot rolled out the end of the barrel. The wad went about 10" down the bore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts