FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From http://www.mfiap.com/smallarms/ps-90.htm

"The SS195 has proven to be EXCESSIVELY DIRTY and WILL cause massive fowling and carbon build up between the fake silencer and the flash suppressor of the PS90. While this is NOT dangerous to the user it does make getting the fake silencer very difficult to remove.

Even as few as 30 rounds of SS195 will result in this problem. If you use the SS195 and have this removable issue the best resolution is to remove the set screws and spray WD-40 or other lubricant into the holes (use a lot) and let it run down the barrel to the PS90 Flash Suppressor. Let it sit 5 to 10 minutes and then gently work the fake silencer free. WARNING trying to remove without lubricate could result in damage to the finish of the PS 90."

Does anyone else know anything about this?

-MontanaSheriff

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Yes - with the Ps90 flashhider being covered up by one of those fake cans, the powder builds up and makes it tough to remove. Some people with these barrel shrouds take them off during firing, and then they put them on afterwards (for show). Or, some never take them off, but I think this is a poor idea over time.

The 195 ammo does make more mess than 197.

·
Administrator
12,118 Posts
The powder used in the SS195LF and the SS197SR is a pistol powder. As this slow burning pistol powder is ignited it does not have the opportunity to fully burn before the projectile leaves the barrel. As such, there is unexpended powder expelled out of the barrel at the muzzle. This is even more evident in the FiveseveN and PS90 SBR due to the shorter barrel lenghts than the PS90.

The 28g factory projectile in the SS195LF which has the lighter projectile will move down the barrel much faster than the 40g Hornady (SS197SR) projectile. As such, there will be more partially ignited powder expelled using the SS195LF instead of the SS197SR. More powder expelled means more of a flash at the muzzle which equals a dirtier can. It aslo means a 'hotter' can because the powder is allowed to burn in the can instead of the barrel of the rifle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew it was a good idea to hang around with you guys, I feel smarter already

:p

-MontanaSheriff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts