FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just a bit new to this forum, so please be kind. :)

Is there any information about any other ammunition varieties becoming available in the near future? I saw on Gunbroker the SS91 and of course there is plenty of SS195's and SS197's out there. What happened to Wolf? I don't mind handloading; however, I think if a company really churned out a variant that pushed the 5.7 to its full potential, well....

I know I'd be interested... and I'd know a few more who'd buy at least a box or two... :D :D :D

I mean, the rounds out there aren't even that bad. But, am I just being stupid for thinking that there's plenty more juice to squeeze outa these lemons?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh sorry yeah, I should mention that I am definitely one of those that could be classified as civilian... so yes, I know there are few other options out there, and yes I know that I can't have any of them. :cry:

So in my original post I am inquiring about new civilian legal options...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure about any other companies, but I heard a rumor Wolf was gonna be making 5.7x28 too so I emailed them and asked them myself. There reply: "No, we no longer have any plans for this round."

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yes, wolf changes their mind.

All we can get is 197 and 195. They discontinued 196 and 193.

There are reloaders who are using the brass and coming up with their own combinations. Wildeye111, a mod here, sells his reloads here on the site. If interested, try PM'ing him.

·
Registered
980 Posts
In my state I can own any type of 5.7x28mm ammo I want. There is no law against any of the 5.7x28mm at the federal level, so it comes down to state laws.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thing is, I know what's available to the majority of civilians (SS91,SS197,SS195) and what I could have if I were law enforcement (SS192 in particular), and I know what's been discontinued (SS190, SS193, SS196, etc), and if I could have it all, I'd still want something with a little more Kung Fu in it.

How about something near 45-50 grains coming out of the 5.7 comfortably eclipsing 2000 fps? I know that might be a long stretch (or impossible... I know nothing about reloading), but so far we don't have anything above 40 grains and the speed limit on the 5.7 is not quite 2000 fps... at least with factory loads. Maybe I should just stop whining about companies not giving me what I want and just buy some supplies. :x

You can tell I prefer the 5.7 over the P/PS90. I don't own the pistol but I absolutely love shooting my friend's. The gun perfectly fits my most important personal requirements of a good carry gun: It's most comfortable in the hand, all controls are conveniently placed, it points well, the trigger is mighty fine for a factory gun, and I can effortlessly shoot double/triple/20 taps thanks to Mr. Mild Mannered Recoil. I think that if a company could just give a little more wiggle at the other end of the barrel, it would be pretty close to a perfect (read very marketable) package. And this is coming from a guy who has owned quite a few pistols only to sell everything but his trusty 1911's. 8)

Of course I don't need to convince you guys just how incredibly useful the 5.7 can be. But what used to be flying off the shelves here in TN are starting to gather a bit of dust in the back (this probably varies quite a bit state to state). I really want to buy one, but just like my old Delta Elite, it's hard to commit 800+$$'s when you don't think you can feed it a good honest, healthy diet in the more distant future. And my friends, there isn't anything I love more than feeding my favorite pistols a good hearty Tennessee country breakfast in the morning. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts