FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where all the SS192 came from that showed up on Gunbroker?

Tanners has it for $25/box in sealed mil ammo cans.

What's up???

·
Administrator
12,073 Posts
Pretty expensive stuff.

Most looks like it's from private sales. The stuff at Tanners may have been in warehouse storage someplace and the owner may have decided to part with it.

SS195 = SS192 except the SS195 has a lead free primer.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Yesterday I went out and visited a gun shop I have not been to in awhile, They carry more of the non-PC stuff. I grabbed a couple boxes 197 and did a double take. Next to the 197 was a box of 192 and what really got me was the price........$60 for 1 box :evil:

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
ick said:
what type is 192? I forget.
Its exactly the same as 195 but does not have the lead free primer. The only thing that makes this ammo special is that it was discontinued and 195 replaced it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
blkbd said:
Yesterday I went out and visited a gun shop I have not been to in awhile, They carry more of the non-PC stuff. I grabbed a couple boxes 197 and did a double take. Next to the 197 was a box of 192 and what really got me was the price........$60 for 1 box :evil:
wow i have a $120 of ss192 at home then :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
blkbd said:
ick said:
what type is 192? I forget.
Its exactly the same as 195 but does not have the lead free primer. The only thing that makes this ammo special is that it was discontinued and 195 replaced it.
Lead Free primer for long term storage sets it apart from SS195 that has LF primers that WON't withstand long term storage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah what gives! I went to my local Scheels All Sports the other day and what do I see? 10 boxes of SS192 ammo in the display case for $24.99 a piece. I ended up buying them all after realizing this ammo had been discontinued. I didn't know if I had gotten a good deal or not, because they usually carried SR197 or SS195 LF ammo and it was at a lower price of $21.99. I did a check on GunBroker before hand and found all the sellers there had a higher price than what the cost of the Scheels SS192 ammo. I don't feel I did too bad. LM
PS. This must be older ammo as the lot# numbers are from 04'

·
Registered
48 Posts
So how much time are we talking as far as primer degredation between the 192s and 195s? FWIW, just dropped $760 on 2K of 197s... its a shame, but that's all there was! I'm sitting on 3k now, which isn't near enough, but I reload so I should be good for awhile... I hope.

·
Administrator
12,073 Posts
GeneSplicer said:
So how much time are we talking as far as primer degredation between the 192s and 195s? FWIW, just dropped $760 on 2K of 197s... its a shame, but that's all there was! I'm sitting on 3k now, which isn't near enough, but I reload so I should be good for awhile... I hope.
Leaded primers (actually a misnomer as they are not all lead) have lasted many many years as evidenced by some of the surplus ammo that can be had that is well over 40+ years old and still functions (almost all the time) without problems.

Lead free primers are said to start to deteriorate after a span of 10 years. Since they were introduced in the late 90's, there has been insufficient time to accurately deduce wheter this is fact or fiction - as well as the total life time of the primer itself.

Most (if not all) lead free primers uses aluminum instead of lead and this is where the problem occurs as aluminium oxidizes much faster, hence the 10 year age limit.

From Wiki: New on the market in the late 1990s are lead-free primers, which address concerns over the lead and other heavy-metal compounds found in older primers. The heavy metals, while small in quantity, are released in the form of a very fine soot. Some indoor firing ranges are moving to ban primers containing heavy metals due to their toxicity. Lead-free primers were originally less sensitive and had a greater moisture sensitivity and correspondingly shorter shelf life than normal noncorrosive primers. Since their introduction, lead-free primers have become equal in performance to lead-based primers, and are gradually gaining popularity.

If you plan on storing ammunition for long periods of time (more than ten years) go for the lead free primers. Until further data can be crunched to determine the exact life of LF primers, there is no factual data that indicates that LF primers will not work after 10 years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I guess one could store the LF primers/ammo in an dry nitrogen canister... say an ammo can rigged with a shraeder valve... can pull a quick vaccum and pressurize it with nitrogen, this will keep Aluminum from oxidizing (no O2)... kinda like the leaded primers in a sealed canister of 7.62x39. BUT the bigger factor is the O2 inside the case when it was loaded... now your making me think, but that would be a lot of extraordinary steps during reloading to 'pro-long' the primer life, then again, competitive reloaders for accuracy take those steps! Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
HK SD9 Tactical said:
Pretty expensive stuff.

Most looks like it's from private sales. The stuff at Tanners may have been in warehouse storage someplace and the owner may have decided to part with it.

So is there any real difference in the ammo? I found a local gun shop selling ss192, 195 and 197 all at the same price, but at 23 a box.

·
Administrator
12,073 Posts
workingman1976 said:
HK SD9 Tactical said:
Pretty expensive stuff.

So is there any real difference in the ammo? I found a local gun shop selling ss192, 195 and 197 all at the same price, but at 23 a box.
If I could get the SS192 for the same price of the SS195LF (within a dollar) I would buy the SS192.

If I was stockpiling ammo for use in 20 years from now, I would buy the SS192 if it was reasonably priced. This is because the lead free primers in the SS195LF are relatively new in design and their longevity has not been determined. I don't keep ammo for 10 years or more.

·
Registered
52 Posts
BigHat said:
Ammoman has a bunch of 192. Just got an email and bought 1000 rds for 600.00
Wow!!! That is $30 a box of 50 rounds or a 50% premium for some discontinued ammo. No thank you I will stick with $20 195/197 thank you just the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SS192

just FYI......
I Spoke with Bob @ FNH today (ext. 122)
He comfirmed a contract with Fiocchi for 1.5 Millon Rounds of SS192 in Late 2008.
Ken stated they are leaded primers and are the same specs as the SS192 for 2004 and earlier.
He said the contract has expired...
so... (my math) 1.5 million rounds / 2000 rounds per case/can is 750 cases/cans total !!!
CDNN still has SS192 for sale.
$24.99 a box ...
$962.58 per 2,000 rounds shipped. (with shipping and signature fee)
CDNN stated no metal can included though....just 40 boxes in their own shipping box.

·
Administrator
12,073 Posts
Re: SS192

DREWES said:
just FYI......
I Spoke with Bob @ FNH today (ext. 122)
He comfirmed a contract with Fiocchi for 1.5 Millon Rounds of SS192 in Late 2008.
Ken stated they are leaded primers and are the same specs as the SS192 for 2004 and earlier.
He said the contract has expired...
so... (my math) 1.5 million rounds / 2000 rounds per case/can is 750 cases/cans total !!!
CDNN still has SS192 for sale.
$24.99 a box ...
$962.58 per 2,000 rounds shipped. (with shipping and signature fee)
CDNN stated no metal can included though....just 40 boxes in their own shipping box.
That good to know. Now I'll have to go and change all my post that said the SS192 was discontinued, BUT a Fiocchi run of 750 cases was made in 08.:x

·
Registered
4 Posts
not sure on the # 750 cases. that was my math :)
Bob Ailes @ FN did state 1.5 million rounds total.
FN uses Fiocchi USA in Ozark, MO for 5.7 ammo production.

"FNH USA partners with Fiocchi of America:
New 5.7 x 28mm sporting ammunition to carry the FN brand
McLean, Va. (December 12, 2005) – As announced in September 2005, Herstal, Belgium-based FN Herstal and Lecco, Italy-based Fiocchi Munizioni S.P.A. have officially signed a cooperative agreement for the manufacturing of 5.7 X 28mm ammunition by Fiocchi in the United States. The 5.7 X 28mm ammunition developed and designed by FN Herstal will be marketed under the FN brand name. This agreement has now been expanded to include the U.S. market. Fiocchi of America will begin loading SS196 SR and SS197 SR cartridges this month in its Ozark, Mo. manufacturing facility with expectations to reach full capacity by first quarter 2006. The FN-designed cartridges will be sold in the U.S. by FNH USA, LLC through its distribution network. “This agreement allows us to keep pace with consumer demand for the popular 5.7 x 28 mm cartridge as well as the Five seveN® USG handguns and the new and upcoming PS 90™ semi-automatic carbine,” said Rick DeMilt, Director of Commercial and Law Enforcement Sales and Marketing for FNH USA. “Having a U.S. supplier is a significant advantage.” Founded in 1876 by Giulio Fiocchi, Fiocchi Munizioni S.P.A. is a worldwide leader in the manufacture of small caliber ammunition. Headquartered in McLean, Va., FNH USA, Inc. is a subsidiary and sales and marketing arm of FN Herstal, S.A., Belgium, whose corporate mission is to expand its leadership position in the defense, law enforcement and associated commercial firearms markets by providing the highest quality products and the finest in training and logistical support. FNH USA LLC, PO Box 697, McLean, VA 22101, www.fnhusa.com. "

·
Registered
9 Posts
biologist said:
Does anyone know where all the SS192 came from that showed up on Gunbroker?

Tanners has it for $25/box in sealed mil ammo cans.

What's up???
I suspect it came from the Fiocchi of America manufacter tucked deep back in the wooded Ozark mountains of Missouri. I know they make 5.7 x 28. And by the way, part of the reason for 5.7x28 ammo being higher then some would like is because no matter where you live the ammo must be shipped to louisiana first for some reason. I will ask my dealer why they do it that way again but they do for some reason.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts