FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been searching for info about the SS192 and I haven't found much info other than it's been discontinued and replaced by the SS195LF, and some places say it's not available to civilians any longer??
So how is the performance of the SS192 compared to the SS197 for police use? What are the pros and cons of each. Thank You guys. It would be nice to buy the SS190 but I can't find any place to sell it to LEO's, being they sell it to departments only. And holy hell it's twice the price from the other ammo. I can get the SS192 at a decent price same price as the SS195LF(which I do not want the lead free). I know the SS197 is a little bit more but if it's better for police use etc than so be it.

·
Administrator
11,351 Posts
You are comparing apples and oranges when you compare the SS192 and the SS197.

The SS192 uses a 27g jackated hollow point projectile (the same projectile as the SS195).

The SS197 uses a 40g Hornady V-Max projectile and is classified as a sporting round.

SS192 is no longer imported into the US (since about 2006) and is only available for purchase from private individuals at astronomical prices. It was replaced with the SS195LF and the only difference between the two is the lead free primer. I have seen reports that some stores still sell SS192 but whenever I or someone else calls to verify that it is indeed SS192 we are told that it is out of stock or sold out but there is some nice SS195 for sale. Collectors like the SS192 and some people buy it to store it for use in 10 to 20 years or so. It's pretty much a waste of money to buy it unless you are a collector and want to store it for many many many years before use. The SS195 has a shelf life of over 10 years according to FnH. The SS190 that has leaked out to the civi market is usually sold on Gunbroker for about $50.00 a round.

LEO's are able to purchase the SS198LF which is a upgraded version of the SS195LF (it has about .2 grains of more powder which increases its velocity about 250 fps over the SS195) but otherwise it is identical to the SS195. SS198 is not sold to the public unless and LEO buys some and then sells it to civilians on Gunbroker or another auction site at two to three to four times the price which pretty much makes these LEO's scum sucking pigs AFAIAC.

The SS190 is only available to MIL/LE agencies on a direct purchase by said agency to FnH - no retailer carries SS190. If your agency does not purchase SS190 it is because they don't want you to have an AP round or simply will not fork out the extra cost for the SS190.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts