FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted this report elsewhere and received a request to also post on this forum. enjoy.
this "ballistics" comparison was not quite the cutting-edge in "authoritative" scientific methods--it is what it is. i will, however, do my best to categorize the experiment:

conditions / environment:
"average" outdoor pistol range. shots fired from underneath a 2.5 meter roof, non-enclosed by walls. approximately 13 degrees celsius, 90.% humidity, 150 meter elevation.
bullets fired into typical cardboard box: 0.30 meters of paper products to absorb bullets. from 0-0.20 meters were assorted magazines (apprx. 4. mags. / inch); from 0.20-0.030 meters were newspapers. all were placed tightly together by hand, but not tied. paper was placed so that projectile would fire through perpendicularly (intuitive setup--same directioning as if "firing through a phone book").
box was securely set on ledge. about 0.050 box streched beyond back of ledge. box height from ground approximately 1.0 meter
bullets discharged approximately 12. meters from box.
box face area ~0.20 x 0.20 meters.

tools / equipment:
(device - manufacturer: previous use, other descriptions affecting performance)
1. Five-seveN IOM - Fabrique Nationale Herstal: 5 x ss192
2. P226 (9mm)- Sig-Sauer: probably 10-15k rounds, updated Sig-Sauer barrel, older gun (made in w.germany)
3. XD Service Model (.40 S&W) - Springfield Armory: approximately 132 rounds
4. .44 6.5" barrel (?) - S&W: 6 x .44 magnum

[Five-seveN and P226 are mine; the others belong to a friend--he is not perfectly sure about the specifications of the firearms nor munitions used therein.]

tools / ammunition:
1. 5,7 x 28 mm: ss195 l.f.
2a. 9mm: 90 gr. JHP (Hornady XTP)
2b. 9mm: 124 gr. FMJ (Winchester)
3a. .40: 180 gr. JHP (Magtech)
3b. .40: 180 gr. FMJ flat-nose (Winchester)
4a. .44 magnum: 220 gr. semi-wadcutter (mfg.? probably high quality)
4b. .44 special: 220 gr. semi-wadcutter (mfg.? probably economy)

[friend said "semi-wadcutter." i am not familiar with .44 ammunition, but it looked like what i found doing an internet image search on ".44 semi-wadcutter." JSP?]

methods:
single action firing by two hand grip. guns held 1.6-1.8 meters above ground, thus shooting a slightly downward trajectory into box--~3.3 degrees.
[1.6-1.8 meters shooting down to 1.0 meters above ground over apprx. 12. meters, thus actual bullet travel = ~12 meters since 2.0 s.f. is generously accurate in this example--height difference was negligible, all things considered.]
bullets were fired into different surface sections of box as to attempt to visually separate bullet paths.
two different shooters: myself with the Five-seveN and P226; the owner of the other two with them.

results / observations:
(penetration depth as looking down from over top of box - diameter of "wound channel": trajectory or other notes)
1. ~0.19 m - "cone" from 0.00-0.030 expanding from bullet diameter to ~0.030, channel continued at ~0.030 diameter until 0.18 at that point converging to lodged bullet.
2a. ~0.080 m- small entry until 0.030 m at which point channel rapidly expands to create ~0.035 empty sphere, bullet travled another 0.015 m creating a converging cone until stopped.
2b. ~0.26 m - barely any recognizeable channel: appears that bullet pushed through leaving only a hole its size and some tears in the mags. / paper "cracking" outward from the hole.
3a. ~0.070 m- cone opening almost evenly to an ~0.040 until converging to the bullet during the last 0.020 m.
3b. ~0.10 m - channel ~0.020 m: 3-D diamond shape, front to back.
4a. ~0.17 m - consistent channel ~0.045 m start to finish.
4b. ~0.060 m- consistent channel ~0.025 m start to finish.

comments:
jackets (?) from 2a, 3a we collected near ~0.040 m into box and looked like shrapnel.
lots of approximations and this was hardly ballistic gelatin.
no pics--sorry (one final shot with a .44 mag at around 2.0 m shooting diagonally downward spun box off ledge emptying contents).

this test (which was very fun) more or less confirmed my initial expectations of these rounds' characteristics:
2a, 3a, 3b, created wider, surface damage somewhat in proportion to their projectile mass, diameter, and velocity;
2b looked like someone put a 0.012 m drill bit through to 0.26 m.
that being said, it was very exciting for me to see the 5,7 x 28 mm penetrate further than the .44 magnum. granted, the .44 mag left us with a box of confetti, but nonetheless, i just gave a quick nod to my disbelieving friend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"no pics--sorry (one final shot with a .44 mag at around 2.0 m shooting diagonally downward spun box off ledge emptying contents)."

we are currently, however, trying to put together another seat-of-the-pants test for tomorrow afternoon (22.mar.07).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts