FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing how SS195 is supposedly more effective than SS197. SS195 is flatter shooting w/higher velocity but SS197 has a heavier bullet w/more ME that fragments/expands on impact thus creating a larger permanent wound cavity. Not trying to start a flame war here but what physical mechanism makes SS195 more effective? :?:
Tomac

·
Registered
980 Posts
I can only speak in theoretical terms here. I have only tested the flight ballistics of the two rounds. I'm waiting for the cold of winter to do some terminal ballistics experiments.
But the general theory is that 195 is a more effective killer because its weight retention (non-fragmenting nature) allows the bullet to penetrate deeper than a collection of bullet fragments would. After impact the 195 bullet can be expected to tumble at least 90 degrees, presenting its long dimension to the flesh and creating a sizable wound cavity.
That's the theory. Again, I won't claim that one is better than the other until I see the results of my own tests. I suspect, however, that the 195 will come out on top.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts