FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haven't visited the site in some time so it may have ben covered already, but it was disscussed in threads from last winter and spring, shipments of ss197 coming in to retailers that had lead free primers. the boxes had stickers indicating the lead free primers, and the primers themselves were a dark grey/black colored primer rather than the usual silver color. last week I was at my local cabelas in ct and they had several boxes of ss197. none of them had the lead free primer sticker so I opened up a box. the primers were back to the normal silver color. so...my question(s)... was the lead free primer supply just a temp situation to fill some of the demand and that's all that was available at the time? have they returned to loading with the standard primers. is the lead free primer now silver color? or did I just happen across some long lost old stock? what are you guys seeing in your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm still finding both. What was the head stamp? I have 2012 stamps without lead free that I just picked up locally last week. Also have some 2013 lead free that I bought at Gander Mountain yesterday.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
I always thought the lead free were silver and the ones with lead were gold but I could be mistaken
FN has said you can't go by the color of the primer.

Reactions: arcticzale

·
Registered
787 Posts
When I stopped by a Gander Mtn in Minnesota a few weeks ago, they had several dozen boxes of SS197 on the shelves. None of the boxes I looked at carefully had the "lead free" sticker on it. I couldn't see the lots numbers to determine production date because those are inside the sealed boxes, and I didn't feel like paying $29.99 for a box just to check that. I *assume* this would be relatively recent production though, because I can't imagine that Gander would have had this stuff squirreled away in a back room for the past year.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
To my knowledge and no one has been able to offer any credible proof to the contrary (like above, cannot go by primer color so that statement that LF was just purchased is incorrect. Please let us know if it had the lead free sticker)

- The ONLY lead free SS197 was a large batch that was sold by Cabella's back in Jan 2013.
- Cabella did not advertise it and it was found by entering an obscure catalog number on their site
- They had at least 4-5K boxes of the stuff.

It was never seen again after that at any retailer that we know of.

ALL of those boxes had a Oval Lead-Free sticker on the top of the box. Appears it was applied after the fact.

·
Registered
615 Posts
To my knowledge and no one has been able to offer any credible proof to the contrary (like above, cannot go by primer color so that statement that LF was just purchased is incorrect. Please let us know if it had the lead free sticker)

- The ONLY lead free SS197 was a large batch that was sold by Cabella's back in Jan 2013.
- Cabella did not advertise it and it was found by entering an obscure catalog number on their site

ALL of those boxes had a Oval Lead-Free sticker on the top of the box. Appears it was applied after the fact.
My LGS did in fact have SS197 with the lead free sticker in early 2013. If they bought it at Cabela's, then they were kind and didn't charge any additional for their trouble.

·
Registered
615 Posts

So is this to say that maybe the retailer placed the decals on the boxes in an attempt to appease the California voices??

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
They had dark gray primers that to my knowledge have never been seen on FN ammo. I would guess they used LF primers to fill supply gap.

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
FN has said you can't go by the color of the primer.
I concur, I have 2 different colored Lead Free primer rounds, may be 3 if I squint...

Reactions: arcticzale
1 - 14 of 14 Posts