FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my ps90 is new, only about 200-250 rounds through it.

So far I have had 3 failures to extract, only with ss197 (blue tip) and only out of the first round of the magazine. All three cases have shown black streaks on the case after firing/and manual extraction. All three mags then went on and functioned perfectly.

Anyone else seen this?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Did you clean all the FN "packing" greese off the gun before you shot the first round through the gun?

·
Registered
980 Posts
What do the black marks suggest?
If you were too gentle when releasing the charging handle the bolt may not have hit the cartridge hard enough to pop the extractor over the rim.
I have seen that happen with the PS90 before.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd think that the black was something off the mag or chamber, it's just weird that only the first round of a mag of 197 shows them (and doesn't extract) Honestly, they look a little like the marks you sometimes see of an HK's fluted chamber, though these are only on one side of the case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'de second that you probably are releasing the charging handle to gently, since it's the first round that would make sense, you eased the charging handle back forward again, and the extractor failed to engage the cartridge rim causeing a failure to extract. When you chamber the next round you do so from only a partialy loaded magazine with only 49, or 48 rounds in it depending on how you cleared the jam, as a result the round is not under as much spring pressure against the magazine lips so when you chambered it there wasn't as much friction (this is the same reason some people insist on downloading there AR-15 magazines by 1-2 rounds.) causing it to have just enough power to properly engage the extractor. Each successive round works because now the weapon is cycleing it'self at full power thereby avoiding the problem of the extractor not engageing. If you insist on rideing your charging handle forward then only load your magazines with 48, or 49 rounds. Or just let the bolt fly home instead of rideing the charging handle, thats the way it was desighned to operate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again, though, I was running both ammo types that day and didn't have a problem with the hollow points, only the 197, and I didn't treat the mags any differently.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hugh ?

I'm just wondering here ? Where did you all buy your PS90's ? I have two and have fed them both ammo types of ammo without a single jam or incident from either ! I have also never had any isue's with case marring my plastic ! Although, my buddy bought a black one at the same time I purchased my first PS90 and after about 2500 to 3000 rounds it has a couple drag marks within the ejection chamber. We polished them out with plastic polish and have yet to see another mark !

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've never had the problems stated above, but I have found the old red-tips fired in a way that I can best describe as "sluggish"...the you can feel the bolt kind of struggling back after a shot. I like the 195s. They're crisp out of the barrel and haven't given me any functioning problems.

Buy in bulk from CMMG and they're even decently prices (about $18.50/ box for 2000 rnds.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts