FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all those that gave me some purchasing location suggestions in my other thread. Much appreciated. Looks like I've tracked down a couple online, and I'm just trying to pick between the pure stainless slide or what's described as the "blackened stainless" slide. Am I correct in my assumption that the blackeded stainless is still just a coating on the regular stainless steel? In other words, no matter the quality, it will eventually show some wear on the rear of the slide (or other parts where your hands are frequently touching the gun, or a holster touches it)? I prefer, sorta, the look of the all black gun, but if the pure stainless finish will be easier to maintain and "keep pretty", I'll likely go with that instead.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Yes, that is correct - however, realize that carbon steel - the other option that guns are made out of - is silver too - and when you see a black coating, it's just a covering over the metal... A covering that can wear as you just described. And, any gun will wear with use and holstering, etc.

Stainless steel usually shows wear less. And, if the stainless is reflective/shiney - typically you can buff out some surface scratched. If the stainless is matte - you can always have a smith beadblast a slide to cover scratches and give it the all matte silver appearance again.

The stainless slides on the FNP will probably show less wear over time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Have the "stainless" slide FNP9 and "black" FNP9M. The M has 2000+rds and gets carried about every day. Other than chamber area of barrel being a little scuffed, rest of gun looks like new. Good finish, whatever it is.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Mine has the black melonite coating and pretty much lives in the holster. I've been waiting to show these pics:

As you can see, the holster has more wear than the finish. The finish might be slightly shinier/smoothed out near the muzzle than towards the back, but not by much. That's after 5 months of daily holster wear too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the FN-P9's black coating is Melonite? That's quite similar to the Glock's "Tennifer" coating correct?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
tmeader said:
So the FN-P9's black coating is Melonite? That's quite similar to the Glock's "Tennifer" coating correct?
I'm not sure if "tennifer" is like melonite.
It looks like I should've wiped off the fingerprints and lint from the gun though :oops:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Like what was said, any gun will show wear if covered with "Something". IMO the FNs will show "a lot" less wear then others out there, the coating is strong. Now if we were talking about a "blued" gun, you would see wear pretty fast, holstered or not, but with the FNs all will be somewhat fine. And to add, it seems to me most holstered guns show wear faster on the frame then they do on the slide. With the frame on the FN being plastic, well frame wear is a mute point.

I have a matte stainless 45 and I do like it, "but" I would rather of had black. Maybe someday I will get the gun re-coated in black... Point, if you want black and can find it (I couldn't) then get it. Just remember your gun should only look perfect when you buy it, then after that, it should show all of its own personality (that you have given it)... Don't worry about wear.

My matte stainless just in case you want to see one...

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Yes, melonite is the same. or a variation of tennifer. The outter carbon coating is slightly different in texture compared to Glock - but it is about the same thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it possible to order an extra slide from FNH or a local dealer? I got mine in all black but would like to get a SS slide and be able to switch back and forth to soot my current mood. heh =P I probably would of gotten it in stainless to begin with but my local shop only had all black.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Is it possible to order an extra slide from FNH or a local dealer?
You can get one where ever fine handguns are sold.
As a bonus the rest of the gun comes with it.

FN is pretty stingy on spare parts.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have found the the Melonite coating to be very durable.
It started showing shiny spots where it slides into the holster after a bit.
But it goes away when wiped down with CLP.

I like it a lot, I would like to have it done to my FAL but it is pretty pricy.
So it looks like my cheap ass is going to just do a regular Parkerize job on that one. Then hit it with Norrels Moly resin. But that's another tale.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just get what you like. They both look great.

I have two smiths with melonite, and it seems to scratch far more easily than Tennifer. I don't have any other scientific tests to prove it, but it just does not seem as durable to me.

Black FN45's were ahrder to come by than the SS ones, so if you ever HAD to sell it, I think the black would sell faster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts