FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used a laser bore sighter 2 times - Very easy to figure out and work.

However - before laser bore sighters - there was another type. I also still see these in catalogs.

How do these other types of bore sighters work? (the non-laser kind)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've never seen one.......

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I have one I bought for my Marlin 60's so I could get the scopes close before I took them to the range. I didn't read the instructions it looked pretty simple to use. It worked fine but it is just as easy to just shoot the rifle at a 25 yard target and adjust to that and then move over to the 100 yard targets.

It is a spring loaded "plug" that slides into the end of the barrel and has a little arm and a tube attached to it. When you slide it into the barrel your scope looks down the center of the tube where there is a white paper with grid lines on it.

This is what I did. (Remember I didn't read the instructions)

1. Put the rifle in a vice and leveled it by setting a level on the rear sight.

2. Mounted the scope and leveled the crosshairs by putting a level on the top adjustment cap.

3. Slid the bore sight tool into the barrel and rotated it in the barrrel until the grid lines were lined up with the scope crosshairs.

4. Used the scope adjustments to move the crosshairs to the center set of grid lines.

It took 5 minutes tops, and the guns shot within an inch of center at 25 yards when I took them to the range. A couple of clicks fixed that. Moved over to the 100 yard targets and was shooting a couple of inches low. A few clicks fixed that... done.

Now days I just stick the scope or sght on the rifle and go to the 25 yard range and they are close enough to hit paper so I just do my first adjustments there.

Mine is similar to this but mine only has the rod for a .22

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/purchase/products-found.jsp?_requestid=99738

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
oops... that link above doesn't work, but if you go to cabelas website and type in "bore sight" and go to the second page of results you will see one there. Part number UH-712241

1 - 5 of 5 Posts