FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SCI FI Channel is ending Stargate Atlantis after five seasons, Multichannel News reports.

The show will go on, though, with a 2-hour movie that will air on SCI FI in 2009, and be released on DVD by MGM. The film will be written by executive producers Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie.

It's intended to be the first of an on-going series of Atlantis movies, according to the report. Stargate SG-1 has released two very successful movies direct-to-DVD this year (Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum), though neither has aired on U.S. television yet.

"The show will live on as a network franchise," the report also says. This could indicate that future Atlantis movies are a lock for SCI FI, or it may be a general statement about the cable network's commitment to the Stargate franchise.

Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, who created and executive produced Atlantis, pitched a third television series in the 11-year-old TV franchise to the network last year (story). While SCI FI has not yet announced a green light for that show, the end of Atlantis may clear the way -- the dollars available for original programming, that is -- for the next series.

Though Stargate Atlantis has been a solid ratings performer for SCI FI -- and was its highest-rated original program ever when it premiered in July 2004 -- in recent years series like Eureka have supplanted it in the "Live" ratings.

Atlantis remains an extremely strong performer in DVR-delayed viewing, though, often building as much as 25 to 30 percent on its premiere night audience.

Season Five will go out on a cliffhanger, with "Enemy At the Gate" expected to premiere in January. Expect the first Atlantis movie to wrap up that hanging storyline.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Not surprised. I never watch the show any longer nor do I watch Galactica.

I always eventually purchase the DVDs though.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I can't believe it's been 5 seasons already.

Galactica still rules
I hope they come up with another series to keep it alive

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
That really sucks. I am surprised to see it cancelled w/o going further, as the show is pretty good. By cancelling SG1, it seems like they could have still make Atlantis and whatever other show they may come up with in the future.

I will admit to being 1 who DVRs it and watches it later. WIth my son, I have to do that with almost any show I want to see now. And admittedly, DVR users skip commercials, so that effects what they can charge for commercials during that hour (if the advertisers know that 1/3 of the people DVR the show).

That sucks...

·
Banned
112 Posts
Why is it they wait until you're totally hooked on a show to cancel it? They let SG1 go for like 11 years before cancelling it. And they put the axe to Atlantis after only 5? That just isn't right. :(

·
Vendor
5,704 Posts
:cry: RATS!!! I guess it is cheaper for them to do a movie and sell it on DVD then to do a TV show. At least there wont be any comercials. :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Erica_the_Red said:
And they put the axe to Atlantis after only 5? That just isn't right. :(
Because MGM stated last year that they only wants ONE SG show on the air at one time.
Which means that they would rather give the green light to the third SG show instead of continuing Atlantis.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
when does this take effect? is this the last season? or will there be one more? its because they put robert picardo in charge he effed it up lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
wlcohen said:
I can't believe it's been 5 seasons already.

Galactica still rules
I hope they come up with another series to keep it alive
No Kidding that went by Fast, I Actually got to go on the Set of Atlantis the Weekend it first Aired, it was Very Cool

1 - 14 of 14 Posts