FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FNP-9 has the stainless steel slide. Should it be a problem using a stainless steel brush on the slide and outside of the barrel for cleaning?? I would not think so but maybe you guys may know something I do not.
Thanks in advance for any help!! :?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I wouldn't do it on the slide - you will scratch the hell out of it. And,not the barrel eoither. There shouldn't be anything that you need to get off the barrel/slide that oil and solvent (for really tough fouling stains) won't take off. Use a bronze brush for the inside of the barrel.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay. I was having a tough time getting some of the grime off parts of the slide. I know better than to use the steel brush on the inside of the barrel.
I guess I should be a bit more patient when cleaning. That and also find a cleaner brand of ammo.

Anyone know if American Eagle ammo is clean?? I shot 250 rounds at the range the first time. I shot magtech, winchester white box, remington umc, american eagle, and sellier-bellot. I did not look at the gun after shooting each ammo so I do not really know how "clean firing" any of them were. I have heaard that remington and winchester are pretty dirty. Also have not heard much good about magtech. Any recommendations from you experienced shooters??

·
Registered
249 Posts
What kind of solvent are your using to clean with?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the solvent was the Outers brand. I have a bottle of the Hoppes but I have not tried it yet. Why do you say not to get it on the frame?? I guess it will damage the polymer??

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I don't know if it would - but there shouldn't be a need to get it on the frame anyway - if the trigger group gets really dirty - get some Gunscrubber at Wal-Mart - there is a synthetic frame version (basically, for polymer frames).

But, with the slide off of the frame, there should be no need to get hoppes on the frame anyway.

It probably wouldn't do anything - but FN puts in their manual not to use lubricants with teflon in them. Evereyone is a bit paranoid about this. Because of that - I'd try not to get it on the frame.

I rarely use solvents - as I use Breakfree CLP for oil and cleaning. One out of every 10 trips, I get some fouling on the outside of my slide (a hard chromed slide). Whenever that happens - I have to use a tiny bit of hoppes put on a cleaning patch. If I wipe it across the "spot" a few times - the fouling always goes away.

Realize - while some guys might be bale to do it - as you shoot the gun, there will be some "crud" and black marks that appear over time around the slide area where the firing pin section is (where the back of the csings hit the slide). Getting the gun as clean as it was when it was new and unfired isn't really practical. Silver slides show more of the grime than guns with black slides. Just clean it reasonably. The Hoppes should do it for U.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay I am getting the picture. Thanks for the advice. :?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Realize - while some guys might be bale to do it - as you shoot the gun, there will be some "crud" and black marks that appear over time around the slide area where the firing pin section is (where the back of the csings hit the slide). Getting the gun as clean as it was when it was new and unfired isn't really practical. Silver slides show more of the grime than guns with black slides. Just clean it reasonably. The Hoppes should do it for U.
Thank goodness I shoot maybe once a year. I don't want my stainless steal FNP-9 to get marked up with grime and dirt. I guess I better stay more of a collector than a sportsman. Good thing ammo prices are so high nowadays, mine will stay nice and clean.

On the subject of Teflon lubricants, does Mobile 1 have Teflon? Sometimes I use some of the extra that I have to lube my guns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FN_man_08 said:
Anyone know if American Eagle ammo is clean?? I shot 250 rounds at the range the first time. I shot magtech, winchester white box, remington umc, american eagle, and sellier-bellot. I did not look at the gun after shooting each ammo so I do not really know how "clean firing" any of them were. I have heaard that remington and winchester are pretty dirty. Also have not heard much good about magtech. Any recommendations from you experienced shooters??

I haven't shot .40 cal Remington UMC...but the .38 Remington UMC is a very dirty ammo. After a bad experience with the .38, I steer clear of all Remington UMC.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have heard UMC is dirty. I am going to try it one more time at the range by itself. Then next time I go to the range I will try a different ammo and compare how dirty the gun is each time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
WWB isn't the cleanest stuff either.

I like to shoot Speer Lawman TMJ ammo. It seems pretty clean to me compared to the other ammo that I have shot. Plus it is flat nosed to be similar to HP ammo. It's made to practice shooting Gold Dot ammo without the bigger price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I find UMC not to be that bad, and always reliable to shoot.

CCI aint bad either.

I put 200 rounds of UMC yesterday, and clean up only took 10 mins. I use butchs bore shine in the bore though, eat's through it like nothing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts