FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reports on short and long-term usage of Wolf or other steel-cased ammo in the M249S? Any observed function or wear issues?

I know this is an expensive gun so maybe using the cheap ammo in it does not make sense, but it also can burn through a lot of ammo in a short time even in its semi configuarion. Does it make sense to buy a used surplus barrel for the steel-cased ammo?

I think FN warns against using steel-cased ammo and they should know but a lot of manufacturers say not to use reloads and steel-cased ammo.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
It is said steel cased ammo is harder on extractors and causes premature need for replacement. If you can find the part easily and it's cheap, then you can save money shooting steel cased ammo. I personally think the biggest advantage of running quality ammo is to shoot ammo with no bimetals in the bullet itself. Running bullets which have bimetals wear the actual barrel out faster, and that is a more pricey part than a simple extractor. I know AK barrels that are hammer forged last a long time, but the 7.62 x 39 cartridge is a low pressure round. 7.62 x 51 and 5.56 barrels are higher pressured rounds. A 1/7 twist rate coupled with bimetal bullets in a 5.56 cartridge seems like it would be the worst possible combination. I would do the math, how much the barrel and extractor would cost to replace vs how much money you would save on ammo. This is just my two cents. Some ppl may argue my response, and I have very little experience shooting steel cased ammo, and am no expert - especially on the 249 - so I would weigh my response with others. Online you can find many ppl on both sides of the fence on this subject.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have an FDE, I have Post Sample parts in, and she eats Wolf like a champ! Here was my math:

-Extractor: I got 6 spares, at $35 a piece.
-Barrel: since it's a MG now, I am running PARA barrels, which I can buy for $175 a lot of the time.

The last 15 cases of Wolf I bought were $210 a piece. Cheapest non reloaded brass I can find is $300 a case.

Considering this thing eats ammo like there is no tomorrow, and is basically a bullet hose, I went with the Wolf.

PS: I have also used Wolf with my Scar 16s. My main shooter broke her extractor on a Wolf case somewhere in the 17~18k range. CQB barrel seems to be holding up just fine...

·
Registered
431 Posts
I know, waiting for the FLAK right now!!!

I shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds a year, through many platforms. Your Mileage/Opinion may vary...

Just for another point of reference. I do a MG shoot every year, with a lot of customers. I have watched the SOT next to me run Wolf though his 3 post sample 249s now for several years now. I am talking about 4~5k rounds for 2 days straight. Those guns run like clockwork... No issues at all!

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds a year, through many platforms.
Witnessed! mk23 disperses large quantities of projectiles in short order. I sure wouldn't blame you for using affordable steel-case ammo. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I shoot steel in both my personal semi guns as well as the shop postie conversion.

It's a machine-gun or semi copy of a machine-gun - if it won't run steel case, it's unfit to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts