FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats you guys take on shooting steel cased ammo (such as Tula) threw the SCAR 17 ? I have not pruchased or shot any threw it yet till i figure out if its really gonna hurt it, I called FNH and they said not to shoot steel cased threw it ? Well I would like to know why ? I understand probably the worst thing maybe about it is the copper jacket is thinner on the round than the depth of the rifling in the barrel so as the bullet passes threw the barrel it strips the copper jacket to the metal core and causes metal to metal friction , which doesnt sound good . Last thing I want to do is mess my gun up over saving a few bucks every 20 rds. But I would like to hear what you guys think , it may just be a bunch of hog wash , but ?? :th_shrug:

·
Registered
602 Posts
^^^^^ This ^^^^

used to shoot the stuff until I started investing in good brass cased ammunition like PPU M80 and PMC.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think you are confusing steel cased with steel jacketed bullets. Some brass cased ammunition such as Winchester Q3130 and Federal XM80C have a brass case and a copper clad steel bullet jacket. The Russian made ammo such as Wolf has a steel case and a steel jacketed bullet. I contacted FNH before about ammunition and they said not to use any steel cased Russian or Chinese ammo. They didn't say anything about brass cased ammunition with a steel jacketed bullet. I believe that the steel bullet jackets used by Winchester and Federal are what is known as copper clad which is thicker than the copper washed steel jacket used on Russian or Chinese ammo.

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
I had a budd whom wanted to make a case for shooting cheap ammo and just replacing the barrel sooner, this was with the ar platform and I guess a case could be made especially when ammo peaked during the frenzy.... even cheap ammo was high, good ammo was crazy and match grade ammo even off the hook expensive.... however with fn products there is not necessarily a cheap replacement part. Vs the ar platform. Lots of good reasons to follow the manufacturer's advise..... one of which being $$$ at least with FN.
Jimo

·
Registered
161 Posts
the article linked above from lucky gunner addressed this exact thing. If you're shooting an AR or some other gun where barrels can be purchased for 100-200 bucks, go for it. A SCAR barrel? not so much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts