FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used steel cased ammo in their scar 17? I have a **** ton of silver bear 308 for my fal and I was wondering if the scar 17 is picky

·
Registered
251 Posts
has anyone used steel cased ammo in their scar 17? I have a **** ton of silver bear 308 for my fal and I was wondering if the scar 17 is picky
I use it all the time - cheap and available at Cabela's.

I don't understand the comments that it will damage the SCAR. Maybe the plastic deflector will take a beating - but that's a $10 wear item.

Other than that, there's no damage to your barrel, bolt, or receiver.

I have fired about 450 rounds with no visible damage anywhere. If I did see any problems, I would call it a piece of 3K crap and sell it promptly on Gunbroker.

Shoot - and shoot often.

-Thermallator

·
Registered
373 Posts
It isnt the casing that s the problem but the "bi-metal" jacket that will diminish your fiearms rifiling the jacket is not full copper but a mix "bi-metal" of steel which will be sure to break down the barrel twice as fast as copper. Most people think only about the case when talking about steel cased ammo but the game changer is actually the bullet Here is a little light reading on the subject. http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

"As indicated by accuracy testing, the steel cased/bimetal jacketed ammunition caused accelerated wear to the inside of their respective bores. While the barrel of the Federal carbine had plenty of life left, even after 10,000 rounds at extremely high rates of fire, the Wolf and Brown Bear barrels were subjected to the same rates of fire and were completely “shot out” by 6,000 rounds.
At the end of the test, the chrome lining of the Wolf and Brown Bear barrels was almost gone from the throat forward, and the barrels had effectively become smoothbores, with the rifling near the muzzles acting only as a mild suggestion on the projectiles. A throat erosion gauge could be dropped into the bore from the muzzle end with absolutely no resistance."

I hope this helps you to decide what to do with your "3K piece of crap"

·
Registered
35 Posts
The article does state

"An important factor to consider is that in the real world, barrels are wear items. They will eventually become unserviceable if shot enough. If you plan on shooting a lot, don’t get too attached to your barrel – think of it as a thing that does a job for a certain period of time at a certain cost. When that time is up, change the barrel."

I will disclose that I have not shot steel cased through my 17s, but would not have any problems with doing so.

I believe the statement of "3k piece of crap" is valid in that the BATTLE RIFLE should be able to fire any variation of 7.62 NATO that I can find.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
505 Posts
thanks for the info what ammo would you guys recommend ?
Whatever high quality ammo you can get in bulk. I would never use steel cased ammo in a scar unless its all I had and the Commies were coming over the hill.

·
Registered
505 Posts
This is just my opinion. But I feel if you have spent close to 3K and over for a High Quality rifle then you should feed it high quality ammunition. Would you spend 3K plus for a dedicated sniper rifle, add a $2,000 to $4,000 dollar scope and then go out and buy the cheapest most inaccurate 308 with steel case and bi metal bullet? Why not shoot corrosive ammo on top of that? Would you put regular unleaded gas in your $100,000 sports car? Im not saying you cant shoot anything but Match Grade ammo but at least stay away from the crappy steel cased crud. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It's like a lot of other things in life...just because you can do it, should you? Think of it like running nitrous on a finely built engine. Will it handle it? Yes. But it will wear out faster. Sure nitrous is a cheap way to HP, but why spend big money on a built engine (or scar) and risk faster wear unless you have to? You probably don't have enough to hurt it, but I would stick to brass. Guess I'm just old old school like that.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Seems to me like a $ & ¢ issue. Pay less for steel cased ammo and shorter barrel life. Pay more for brass and longer barrel life. Where is the break even point? Don't know?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Extractor will wear much faster as well. This isnt something you want to break when your really in need of your rifle to work.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You will spend more shooting brass ammo than you will shooting steel and replacing the barrel, extractor etc. but I don't do it because I don't shoot enough. If you shoot all the time then buy cheap steel and replacement parts from Stryker, MWG etc

·
Registered
251 Posts
I hope this helps you to decide what to do with your "3K piece of crap"
I will continue to treat it like a 3K battle rifle that works. IF and WHEN I shoot 6K rounds, I will get a new barrel.

At 6K rounds, I will save enough money on ammo to buy 2 barrels.

So no, I will not put it under my pillow and feed it gold plated bullets.

Shoot - and shoot often.

-Thermallator

·
Registered
660 Posts
Extractor will wear much faster as well. This isnt something you want to break when your really in need of your rifle to work.
Why would it? Keep spare parts and use this tool as intended... meaning, shoot the hell out of it :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
RELOAD. Then you can feed it the good stuff with steel prices.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Reloading is always a good option for those that have the time, the equipment and the brass.

I like HERTERS .308 - $.50/round. Hits hard. Accurate. Leave steel behind - no reason to pick up. At 5k, replace barrel and I'm still $$ ahead than shooting anything else, I have a brand new barrel to boot.

Running a rifle is like RENT. How much do you want to rent it for? $1/round or $.50 a round?

@ $1/round, you have a used rifle at 5K. @$.50 round, you have a new rifle at 5K.

-Thermallator

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I think the pertinent bases have been covered here, but I would like to add this to the discussion. If at all possible, learn to reload. I personally have not, YET. I think reloading may be a necessity one day. I've never heard of anyone making their own brass casings. What's going to happen if it comes down to that ? What does it take ? How is it done ? Is it possible ? Will it come down to having to make ammunition entirely from scratch. ? The Frontiersmen use to make their own lead balls to fire from the black powder guns. It's a little more complicated with todays ammunition. What will happen if the brass casings are no longer available. There's a lot of ammo out there, so that may never happen. But I have wondered, what if ?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Why would it? Keep spare parts and use this tool as intended... meaning, shoot the hell out of it :)

Steel is much harder than Brass. It was designed to shoot brass cartridges. Brass rounds are more accurate. Non Bi Metal bullets. BUT its your SCAR use it as you want to. We were just listing reasons not to. Your reasons are to save money. I would assume by now the OP has enough information both ways to make an educated decision.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.