FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my NFA dealer is still waiting approval for his status as a SOT/FFL (3 weeks since he registered and requested as an SOT/FFL, has passed first layer of approval but awaiting final approval) so he can try and submit my Form 4 electronically.

What steps does he have to take in order to be fully able to submit my Form 4 through the NFA eForms?

1)How will he be able to submit the $200 payment for the stamp which I paid for? Set up an account for funding electronic submissions and are there extra charges for this?

2)Will he have to pay a sales tax or income tax because of these new steps for eFiling because he's submitting my money for my stamp?

He wants to charge more for the transfer fee I already paid and understandably so since eFiling wasn't a service he offered when i asked him to handle my transfer but I would really prefer this method rather than snail mail to be able to go pending immediately in the wake of the new trust regulation that may go into effect very soon..

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If he doesn't have his SOT in hand, how is he already conducting business transferring NFA items? You mentioned you've already paid transfer fees... Unless you mean his application to eFile.....

eFiling shouldn't be any more expensive than paper filing if a dealer is set up to do it. I don't believe there are any additional fees or taxes on an SOT to eFile. Certainly an individual can eFile a Form 1 without additional taxes.

Sounds like you are 'pushing the rope' for your benefit while your dealer is still getting started as an SOT. If you are badgering your dealer to eFile and he is setting up the process for your benefit primarily and his benefit secondarily, he might reasonably ask for a bit more cheddar...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, his application to eFile. He is already an SOT.

Are the payments for the stamp taken through pay.gov or another payment system within the eFiling website itself?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
To answer this question for you, I:

1) went to https://www.atfonline.gov/EForms/faces/userProfile/login.jspx?_afrLoop=339063088818989&_afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=1b6f1y1xs3_54 and registered - keep in mind this is for individuals, not dealers, so YMMV.
2) logged in with my new account and waited patiently on the slow ATF servers
3) started created a mock Form 1 to see about payment methods
3a) gave up trying to find the answer as the ATF servers are apparently run by the same company running the Obamacare website and crashed/booted me....

Did you already give him a check/MO made out to the Treasury Dept for your stamp? Has he already started the Form 4 transfer process? If you made the check out to him for the tax, he should be able to take care of the online payment, regardless of HOW it's made.

If your dealer doesn't know and you HAVE to know, maybe you could call the ATF and get some 'customer support....'

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
if your sot does not know what he is doing I strongly recommend finding someone else. THis is an area I would not want to screw up.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The eForms makes it so easy a caveman can do it, aka, federal employee.

First, it shouldn't take 3 weeks for your dealer to be approved to use eForms.

The actual process:
1. Dealer log in.
2. Go to the eForm Form 4.
3. Dealer selects his FFL info, it's auto-filled.
4. Input your trust/corp information.
5. Select the NFA item from his inventory, this again is auto-filled with description.
6. Upload trust/corp and any other necessary paperwork.
7. eForms website will have a pop-up-window that allows you to pay instantly with credit card through pay.gov.
8. Dealer clicks button and submits form.

Your scanned trust paperwork must be less than 3mb. If it's more, break it up into parts. If it's an SBR/SBS (I think anything but a silencer), you need to sign the back of a Form 4, (section 15?), and scan that. If you have multiple items, you have to submit an eForm for each one.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if your sot does not know what he is doing I strongly recommend finding someone else. THis is an area I would not want to screw up.
Too late to turn back now.. I'm in a time crunch to get it submitted before ATF 41P goes into effect.. He's an experienced SOT/FFL, just never did eFiling.. And he doesn't want to do it for me if there are extra fees/charges in doing eForms..

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The eForms makes it so easy a caveman can do it, aka, federal employee.

First, it shouldn't take 3 weeks for your dealer to be approved to use eForms.

The actual process:
1. Dealer log in.
2. Go to the eForm Form 4.
3. Dealer selects his FFL info, it's auto-filled.
4. Input your trust/corp information.
5. Select the NFA item from his inventory, this again is auto-filled with description.
6. Upload trust/corp and any other necessary paperwork.
7. eForms website will have a pop-up-window that allows you to pay instantly with credit card through pay.gov.
8. Dealer clicks button and submits form.

Your scanned trust paperwork must be less than 3mb. If it's more, break it up into parts. If it's an SBR/SBS (I think anything but a silencer), you need to sign the back of a Form 4, (section 15?), and scan that. If you have multiple items, you have to submit an eForm for each one.
He is awaiting the final approval from the ATF for his SOT/FFL (your instructed step 3) (he is already an SOT just does not have the FFL info in the eForm website to be able to choose it) he has already passed the first level of approval..

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My dealer just registered at the beginning of November and was approved in a week or less after submitting for his FFL to be registered in eForms. With the onslaught of submissions because of the rule change, it may have slowed things down. Also the few Form 1's that got approved in a couple months as a test run of the system didn't help because now everyone will be submitting by eForms thinking they will get their stamp in a couple months.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya my only hope is that I can submit it before ATF 41P goes into effect and it will be pending immediately after submission.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts