FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I swapped from a Glock 23 to a FNS 40 a few weeks ago. I love everything about the FNS and I shoot it well. However, for my point of use for a carry gun, it is just too big. I have been carrying it in the 4 oclock position in a Blackpoint Tactical holster and I can feel the grip hitting when I sit in a chair (or church pew) where I did not feel my Glock in the same situations. So, should I...

1. Suck it up and keep the FNS?

2. Swap back to the Glock and have the finger grooves and backstrap removed, having the best of both worlds?

If FN made a compact FNS this would be a no brainer, but as they don't and I don't recall a good time frame on when they will, I don't see that being an option.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I too went from a Glock 23 to a FN .40 S&W my first being the FNX-40 my second will be an FNS-9. The FNS/FNX 9/40's have the same slide length as the G19/23 however the frame on the FN's is the size of the G17/22. For me, I'll never go back to Glock, from the moment I put an FN in my hand it was love at first grasp. I have never had a pistol fit my hand as if it were made for it. I can see your point though, the FNS with its longer grip will be more noticeable to the wearer than a G19/23. It's a tough call, do you want a superior pistol that most likely fits your hand like a glove or do you want a Glock and have to modify it to your liking? Only YOU can decide!

As some of you know I swapped from a Glock 23 to a FNS 40 a few weeks ago. I love everything about the FNS and I shoot it well. However, for my point of use for a carry gun, it is just too big. I have been carrying it in the 4 oclock position in a Blackpoint Tactical holster and I can feel the grip hitting when I sit in a chair (or church pew) where I did not feel my Glock in the same situations. So, should I...

1. Suck it up and keep the FNS?

2. Swap back to the Glock and have the finger grooves and backstrap removed, having the best of both worlds?

If FN made a compact FNS this would be a no brainer, but as they don't and I don't recall a good time frame on when they will, I don't see that being an option.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'd go back to the Glock 23 for concealed carry, but leave the finger grooves & backstrap alone.

They fit my hands. Mod them if you must for your hands though, only if you must.

But I would definitely keep that FNS .40 for home defense and range use, because I love mine and won't give it up either.

It's hard to beat the Glock 23 for a CC piece - unless, in my opinion, you "step up" to the Glock 30S.... WOW, now THAT'S a Concealed Carry piece!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd go back to the Glock 23 for concealed carry, but leave the finger grooves & backstrap alone.

They fit my hands. Mod them if you must for your hands though, only if you must.

But I would definitely keep that FNS .40 for home defense and range use, because I love mine and won't give it up either.

It's hard to beat the Glock 23 for a CC piece - unless, in my opinion, you "step up" to the Glock 30S.... WOW, now THAT'S a Concealed Carry piece!
What I am basically needing out of all of this is a Glock 23 length grip with the angle and fit of a FNS grip.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Sometimes we just can't have our cake and eat it too. FNH USA had part numbers listed in the 2012 and 2013 Catalogs for compact 9/40 variants but have removed them from the 2014 so it's unlikely we will see a compact version anytime soon.

What I am basically needing out of all of this is a Glock 23 length grip with the angle and fit of a FNS grip.

·
Registered
276 Posts
In my case it's a Kahr CW40 for carry and for home defense an FNS-40 on one end of the house and a CZ75 Phantom on the other. Excellent firearms.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Carry what you're most comfortable with. While you should always be mindful while you carry, you shouldn't feel selfconsious. IMO.

·
Registered
169 Posts
A compact FNS would be the bees knees.

Reactions: Kennydale

·
Registered
189 Posts
I like the FNS better then Glock but do not like the safety they added. I found an FNS 9 without the safety and it's great - much better then a G17!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you should go back to the Glock 23. In fact just to help you out I will trade wit you. I have LNIB 23 for your FNS 40. I have the gen 2 with I believe 2 to 4 mags. It may take a while to hunt up the mags. And the only reason I say this. If you are comfortable with the 23 then you are more likely to carry it. I myself prefer the FNS on looks alone. But if i couldn't carry it comfortably I am sure I would start leaving it home. And it doesn't do me any good there. my $.02

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I have a confession to make and this thread is the best venue to do so. I have been an ardent FNH fan from the moment I laid my hands on my FNX-40 almost a year ago. I have now found after 2500+ rounds downrange the grip -which otherwise fits like a glove- digs into my thumbs first knuckle bruising the bone itself. I looked, held, fondled and have since shot numerous others always favoring the FNS-9 as my FNX-40 replacement. I found holding the FNS-9 while Gandering the local Mountain directly after a 250rd FNX-40 range relay the same knife like pain was present. I subsequently requested to handle the Glock 19 Gen 4, much to my surprise, NO pain. I have since purchased a new G19/G4 from GB and am obviously going back to being a Glockster when it comes to pistols. I know, I know sacrilege right, well I have to practice and practice cannot be painful and that's all there is to it.

Simply put, ANY weapon chosen as a EDC/CCW has to be comfortable to shoot and practice with, there is NO alternative!

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is along the lines of why m&p guys go back to a g19. They too want that midsize grip. Thing is, that is not a option with the fns. Even if you cut the grip down it will steel feel larger. My g19 imo was definitely easier to conceal. I shoot the fns better and it feels more comfortable because it fills my hand. But honestly it is YOUR gun and YOUR comfort level of carry. If you wanna run the GLOCK, then do it. I will be picking up a g17 in the near future. Its not going to replace my fns but it will fit its own role as range toy/loaner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the Glock is more comfortable for you go with it. I have an FNS-40 that I use primarily use for home defense but will carry in the colder months when its easier to conceal. Everyday carry is a Kahr CM40. My FNS is one of the best handguns I have owned but the Kahr is much more comfortable to carry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Get the Glock, have the grip modified if that's what you want. Life is too short. Keep the FNS if you can, can't have too many guns.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if you are having discomfort at the 4 oclock, try a different position. I carry my fn 9 at the 9 oclock or appendix carry. My fn IS my carry gun, it is less bulky than my xd subcompact( which I sold btw) and lighter. don't give upon this gun,you wont regret it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Had to scroll back up to make sure I wasn't on a glock forum. Just don't see their appeal but to each their own I guess.......

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would recommend going with whatever you feel is a better shooter for you. If you think the Glock would be more practical, go with that. There are plenty of people that carry glocks for CCW as an end all be all or just because they are in tight enclosures. Air Force fighter pilots, SF, and CIA agents carry the 19. I believe the FBI was carrying the 23 but I heard they were or were in the process of switching back to the 9mm. I am a fan of the Glock 19/17 because you can train with it without breaking the bank, which means you will be that much more proficient with it vs. a more expensive and less controllable caliber. The Glock is also a smooth gun which helps when its rubbing up against you and your clothing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've been carrying a glock for years. I've had zero issues with it. I know I can rely on it. I'm a fan of what works, glock or anything else. I don't like to be slowed down by manipulating a safety. I traded up from a Gen 3 G23 to a Gen 4 G23 recently and added the trijicon HD sights. This thing is very smooth and fast.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts