FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search, read the posts, read the FAQ's and still do not have a good understanding of which model to get.

I know that I will want to put either an EOTECH or a T-1 Aimpoint on the PS 90. So, do I buy the USG, have the option of selling the black scope or keeping it for investment, add a rail piece and mount one of these optics. Can I ever even add the T-1 to this kind of set-up.

Or......buy the tri-rail and mount the EOTECH or T-1 Aimpoint on the rail that comes standard.

Both models are the same price at the online shops that I am considering.

I am a big guy, 6' 3" and 275 pounds with a big neck and long arms and I am having a hard time understanding the difference in cheek weld with these two options as it would affect me. In fact, before I started reading all the posts, I assumed that with the Aimpoint T-1 or the EOTECH that I would be shooting heads-up without worrying about cheek weld when shooting the PS90. I do not plan on engaging targets beyond 100 yards.

Please, some help? If you PM me I would be glad to provide a phone number for you to call or I would be glad to call you. I need some fast advice.

P7rancher :-? :-?

BTW I found a FS2000 today at a local shop and was really impressed. I was prepared for a really bad trigger and was pleasantly surprised with the trigger pull and reset.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Re: Still confused over tri-rail vs. USG (black reticle scop

P7rancher said:
So, do I buy the USG, have the option of selling the black scope or keeping it for investment, add a rail piece and mount one of these optics. Can I ever even add the T-1 to this kind of set-up.
Yes, a T-1 would work with this setup and you can have a backup Ringsight or you can sell it.

Advantage of this setup is:
1 - Backup Iron Sights
2 - Extra Ring Sight to keep or sell
3 - Longer side rails are possible

This setup is my vote.

P7rancher said:
Or......buy the tri-rail and mount the EOTECH or T-1 Aimpoint on the rail that comes standard.
Advantage
This will work too.

Advantage of this setup is:
1 - Rail sits lower than standard model with optic rail
2 - You don't have to worry about your rail's set screws backing out over time and misaligning your rail.
3 - Factory rail can take quite a beating before it gets scratched up compared to any aftermarket optic rail. Don't ask me what I did to find this out :roll:

·
Registered
475 Posts
either, i have two white reticle ps90's. one is stock the other has a magazine parts optic rail with a EO Tech 512. The back up sights are nice in a pinch and so is having a spare optic. what is the price difference between the tri rail and USG?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I prefer the standard PS90 - as stated above, U get backup rails. U can mount your own optic rail and put whatever optic U want on it. And, worse case scenario (your optic breaks or you need it for another gun - the gun isn't useless once you remove your optic.

U can always restore the stock sight and the gun can still be used.

And yes, I like the extended side rails.

·
Registered
180 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I prefer the standard PS90 - as stated above, U get backup rails. U can mount your own optic rail and put whatever optic U want on it. And, worse case scenario (your optic breaks or you need it for another gun - the gun isn't useless once you remove your optic.

U can always restore the stock sight and the gun can still be used.

And yes, I like the extended side rails.
when you mentioned standard PS90, is that the tri-rail?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
PS90 Standard Model - PS90 with White Reticle Ring Sight
PS90 USG Model - PS90 with Black Reticle Ring Sight, sometimes referred to as USSS Sight
PS90 TR Model - PS90 with Triple Rail system
PS90 RD Model - PS90 with mini Red Dot built into a FN Optic Rail mount

·
Registered
180 Posts
tqtran said:
PS90 Standard Model - PS90 with White Reticle Ring Sight
PS90 USG Model - PS90 with Black Reticle Ring Sight, sometimes referred to as USSS Sight
PS90 TR Model - PS90 with Triple Rail system
PS90 RD Model - PS90 with mini Red Dot built into a FN Optic Rail mount
sweet thanks, it seems the RD version is new and hard to find so far?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am in the same situation as the OP. Can the sight that comes with the USG model be upgraded by some aftermarket accessory?

·
Registered
10 Posts
manatee said:
I am in the same situation as the OP. Can the sight that comes with the USG model be upgraded by some aftermarket accessory?
Yes, the T-3 which is like 80 bucks...you can change the color of the reticle from black to a whole host of colors...

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
The USG is now discontinued for 2011 as its not offered in the 2011 Products catalong.
So if you want a USG then get it now, otherwise all you will find are TriRails and Standards(rail with BUIS)

·
Registered
803 Posts
The PS-90 RD never existed. That is the one I wanted, but FNH canned it. It was to have the C-more Red Dot sight mounted on it. I E-mailed FN a long time ago about it's release date and got a reply back that it was cancelled. But, you can buy the mount and red dot sight from C-more direct and make your own RD Model. Hope this helps to narrow down your search. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
tqtran said:
The USG is now discontinued for 2011 as its not offered in the 2011 Products catalong.
So if you want a USG then get it now, otherwise all you will find are TriRails and Standards(rail with BUIS)
Is the safety setup the same on all of the models? When I read USG, I think of the extra features the government required on the FN pistols, and I wonder if anything is different on the PS90 USG.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just ordered a USG version today from my lgs. Since that model is being dropped, the price dropped about $300! I figure I'll add some side rails later. After getting a Fsn a few weeks ago, I just HAD to get a PS90 to go with it! Can't wait!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
STL9MM said:
I just ordered a USG version today from my lgs. Since that model is being dropped, the price dropped about $300! I figure I'll add some side rails later. After getting a Fsn a few weeks ago, I just HAD to get a PS90 to go with it! Can't wait!
Sweet :?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
manatee said:
Is the safety setup the same on all of the models?
Same setup, I have both and only difference is the top half of the receiver.
Also, the new PS90 Standard is just a PS90 USG with the Ring Sight replaced.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts