FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My only issue with the FS2000 (aside from being the widest weapon I've ever handled) is the stock breaking.
The front right corner of the stock has a lug that mates with the receiver. This broke off one day when I was yanking the receiver out. Two other people reported the same problem on another forum, same situation, same side of the stock.
So be warned!
I'll be back with more info and pics.

A

·
0 Posts
I have not seen much about this online. Hopefully its not a widespread issue.

·
Registered
431 Posts
BunkerBuster said:
Looking fowards to the pics and updates. I just ordered an FS2000 and am too worried about quality of the polymer.
Do you mean one fo the black tabs on the polymer forearm?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

here is a pic from 'sxyps90'
mine broke in the same spot
FN has replaces the broken units of others who have had the problem. I glued mine back together because I don't want to part with it right now. (I need it for developing accessories)
For anyone who undertakes a complete disassembly, be careful when reinstalling the inspection port spring. The force required to get the spring into place is enough to break the stock there too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Promoted Pawn said:

here is a pic from 'sxyps90'
mine broke in the same spot
FN has replaces the broken units of others who have had the problem. I glued mine back together because I don't want to part with it right now. (I need it for developing accessories)
For anyone who undertakes a complete disassembly, be careful when reinstalling the inspection port spring. The force required to get the spring into place is enough to break the stock there too.
That's a bummer! Spring force breaks stock? Really?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Is it if you take it down when you have the chargeing handle locked back and it springs forward?

Im scared as hell of doing this since I saw this picture :?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No no. The stock can break (as in the picture) if you are forceful when removing the 'upper'.
The talk about springs is in reference to the spring that keeps the inspection port door open/closed. It is a very strong spring and it takes a lot of muscle to get it back into its place after a complete disassembly. Enough muscle to break the part of the stock where that spring rests, if you're not careful.
Go ahead and slap that charging handle down and let the bolt slam home. I've been doing it with no ill effect. It's actually quite satisfying.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here is a picture of my broken lug that I fixed with super-glue and a picture of the spot I broke when fooling with the inspection port cover. The inspection port still functions normally.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Im talking about if you have the chargeing handle locked back and you hit the take down button the upper flys forward into that lug.

That sucks they they can break that easy...

I cant seem to help doing the "HK slap" with the FS as well... I do it to my 91 so much people get anoyed as hell when I have that rifle out. It is indeed quite satisfying :D

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fatcat said:
Im talking about if you have the chargeing handle locked back and you hit the take down button the upper flys forward into that lug.
ohhh. Yeah, that could probably do some harm.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I wonder what exactly FN uses for the material. Is it polycarbonate or glass filled nylon? The Glock appears to be a glass filled nylon because you can tell that it was designed to flex and is "softer" than the harder plastic used on the PS90/FS2000. I would suspect the Px90/Fx2000 are made of polycarbonate which is stiffer and slightly more prone to cracking than the more flexible nylon. Yes, I know the PS90 flexes (as does polycarbonate) but it doesn't seem to be the same type of material as the Glock's nylon.

·
Registered
268 Posts
wlcohen said:
hey - what do you expect from a $2000 weapon - perfection? :roll:
That's why I'm kind of hesistant to shell out nearly $2k for a FS2000. I've seen and used them in person and wasn't too impressed with the results. I would gladly buy one as a range toy but I'd still prefer the AR15 or even the PS90. Jamming issues, plastic pieces breaking, etc... sound like growing pains for a weapon that supposedly was designed to exceed the requirements in the field.

So far the only real issues I have heard about the PS90 are mag-related (weak mag springs, broken feedramps).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts