FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im assuming the scar is supposed to have a stock which is slightly off center being i have read this on several other discussions. My OCD is kicking in though and was wondering if anyone could contribute some top down pics of theirs with an off center stock to make a guy feel better lol. Hell of a lot of money for this to not be a normal thing. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
13,506 Posts
Im assuming the scar is supposed to have a stock which is slightly off center being i have read this on several other discussions. My OCD is kicking in though and was wondering if anyone could contribute some top down pics of theirs with an off center stock to make a guy feel better lol. Hell of a lot of money for this to not be a normal thing. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to our lovely Forum! You! have a picture to show us of your crooked slightly off center SCAR ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose a picture with a question would have been a good idea. Got the calipers out last night and it looks like everything on the receiver lines up so the problem if there is one looks to be in the stock itself.
20201012_082653.jpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
Should be straight. Something's wrong with the stock or the hinge where it locks. Slide the stock off of the receiver and check the channels that the stock slides on to also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the stock to see if there was an obvious issue with where it slides onto the receiver. It looks to me like the piece is just molded that way. I really dont feel like fooling with FN and shipping out a brand new rifle but i also don't want to drop almost $200 on a new stock and it be the same way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Have you tried reaching out to the seller/retailee? As the old saying goes "The customer's always right". Maybe they understand this concept and fix their canted stock mistake?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is most definitely tight. Seems to me like it is just the way the plastic was molded. Still bothers me though if everyone elses is straight.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I removed the stock to see if there was an obvious issue with where it slides onto the receiver. It looks to me like the piece is just molded that way. I really dont feel like fooling with FN and shipping out a brand new rifle but i also don't want to drop almost $200 on a new stock and it be the same way.
and if you spend $200 and it’s still canted then you would be fooling with fn anyways

do you know anyone that has a scar to test their stock on yours?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and if you spend $200 and it’s still canted then you would be fooling with fn anyways

do you know anyone that has a scar to test their stock on yours?
😅 unfortunately I'm the only person i know that has one and believe me this has crossed my mind. Half tempted to talk to the guys at the local gun shop to see if any of them have one.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
If you have nothing wrong with your back plate - no gaps between that and the back of the receiver and the back plate -all the receiver screws are in straight - then it's a defective butt stock. I'm not a nauthority - but common sense comes into play here. And I'll ask the entirely stupid question making me look like I'm calling you an idiot - and I'm not - but it has the appearance the stock is not locked into the closing position. If it is - gotta be a defective butt stock. A simple fix you should not have to deal with. First I've ever seen this before.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have nothing wrong with your back plate - no gaps between that and the back of the receiver and the back plate -all the receiver screws are in straight - then it's a defective butt stock. I'm not a nauthority - but common sense comes into play here. And I'll ask the entirely stupid question making me look like I'm calling you an idiot - and I'm not - but it has the appearance the stock is not locked into the closing position. If it is - gotta be a defective butt stock. A simple fix you should not have to deal with. First I've ever seen this before.
I'd be ignorant to the purpose of a question if i thought you were calling me an idiot so no offense taken. Yes the stock is definitely locked into position and as i said before i've taken measurements of the receiver in every relevant position and see no issue,, and in that regard have even taken it a step further by standing the receiver with the stock off on a level surface and again making sure the upper assembly was straight up and down visually as well as with a level. I do have what seems to be a very common occurrence, that being the rear receiver screws being slightly canted. They are very uniform in their being slightly canted and thus there is no gap or misalignment between the receiver and the stock mount. At this point I'm fairly confident in calling it a defective stock and will be in contact with FN, however, I'm a little bitter and not looking forward to that. Seems trivial to some maybe but what would you guys do if it was yours?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
While defective parts can and do happen with every company, we are all disappointed when we ourselves are the victim of it. Especially when buying top named brands. If it were me, I'd contact FN and request a new butt stock. If they wanted me send the whole rifle back, I'd buy another butt stock on my own, replace it, then send the defective one back to FN requesting a new replacement. Keep that one as a spare or sell it to recover money spent to replace ther defective one. If FN won't send you a replacement, I'd post about it giving FN the bad public review, and just swallow the loss. That's just me though. I wouldn't want to send a $3000.00 rifle through the mail if I could get out of it. I feel bad for your situation. No choice but to deal with it though. I'm sure FN would make it right if you chose to ship it to them though. I think you did this Forum community a service by posting in regards to this problem - It helps keep us all informed of what's going on so to speak. So thank you for sharing this experience with us.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While defective parts can and do happen with every company, we are all disappointed when we ourselves are the victim of it. Especially when buying top named brands. If it were me, I'd contact FN and request a new butt stock. If they wanted me send the whole rifle back, I'd buy another butt stock on my own, replace it, then send the defective one back to FN requesting a new replacement. Keep that one as a spare or sell it to recover money spent to replace ther defective one. If FN won't send you a replacement, I'd post about it giving FN the bad public review, and just swallow the loss. That's just me though. I wouldn't want to send a $3000.00 rifle through the mail if I could get out of it. I feel bad for your situation. No choice but to deal with it though. I'm sure FN would make it right if you chose to ship it to them though. I think you did this Forum community a service by posting in regards to this problem - It helps keep us all informed of what's going on so to speak. So thank you for sharing this experience with us.
I appreciate the thoughtful feedback and I currently have a new stock on order. I'll post back here when it arrives and let you know how it worked out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey OP, why does your stock's color look more like a Coyote brown or RAL8000 instead of the usual FDE/tan? Maybe it's just the way the picture came out... Do you know approximately what year your SCAR was made? Belgian or US-made? Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey OP, why does your stock's color look more like a Coyote brown or RAL8000 instead of the usual FDE/tan? Maybe it's just the way the picture came out... Do you know approximately what year your SCAR was made? Belgian or US-made? Thanks!
It's definitely lighter than what the picture makes it look like. I'd say its the normal fde. It is US made and Im fairly sure it is relatively new manufacture. I have yet to find a method to date these things by serial number.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Any chance you could give us a top down pic of the stock locked open and mounted on the receiver? Considering that these things are mass produced I am wondering if this is a bad batch, not just a single bad one. If so, it might be a new production issue for folks looking to buy to be aware of.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts