FN Herstal Firearms banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you don’t like that you would have the M1a. I love it but the entire top receiver is off center by a solid 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you don’t like that you would have the M1a. I love it but the entire top receiver is off center by a solid 1/4 inch.
I have an m1a scout surprisingly I haven't found any issues with it so far. Shimmed up the gas block and good to go. I've heard some stories about other new manufactured ones though.

·
Premium Member
13,506 Posts
sorry guys I've been camping for a few days. Here are some more pics. I've since set up a service request with FN and will ship this thing out Monday.
Those pictures are worse then the first one blurry and too far away! lol!!! Any showing each side?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I downloaded and zoomed in on them. It looks like an issue with the receiver mount. If you look at the pic top down, the stock looks straight with the tan pices but they (stock body and tan part which attaches to the receiver mount) are not in line with the receiver. A top down of the stockitself NOT mounted might help determine whether it is the stock body or the receive rmount. My money is on the receiver mount.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Let me rephrase this. If you look at the receiver slot where the stock slides upwards into the receiver, there is more space on the left side than the right side. That means the receiver mounting block is not even (one side has a larger gap than the other). Can you measure the stock mounting slot gap on both sides on the top of the receiver? I bet the non ejection side is a larger gap than the ejection side, based on the picture.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I downloaded and zoomed in on them. It looks like an issue with the receiver mount. If you look at the pic top down, the stock looks straight with the tan pices but they (stock body and tan part which attaches to the receiver mount) are not in line with the receiver. A top down of the stockitself NOT mounted might help determine whether it is the stock body or the receive rmount. My money is on the receiver mount.
Im with you on that. After looking it over time and time again it's either the mount or the receiver itself. Both slots as you were talking about measure .145 - .147 with variations in between. However in this pictur i'll include it looks as if the receiver itself may not be cut straight but at this point it's up to the pros to figure this out.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Let me rephrase this. If you look at the receiver slot where the stock slides upwards into the receiver, there is more space on the left side than the right side. That means the receiver mounting block is not even (one side has a larger gap than the other). Can you measure the stock mounting slot gap on both sides on the top of the receiver? I bet the non ejection side is a larger gap than the ejection side, based on the picture.
Here is a better one with the gun more in line with the wood flooring

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here is a better one with the gun more in line with the wood flooring
That definitely looks hinky to me. Photos can be misleading but I would check that receiver back with a square. It also looks like your rear sight aperture is cocked as well, but that could just be the lighting. I would remove the stock extension and check the receiver and extension to verify they are squared.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
That definitely looks hinky to me. Photos can be misleading but I would check that receiver back with a square. It also looks like your rear sight aperture is cocked as well, but that could just be the lighting. I would remove the stock extension and check the receiver and extension to verify they are squared.
Yea the lighting isn't perfect by any means here. Shipping it out on Monday though so hopefully I'll have some answers soon.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Well, like you say, it's up to the experts now. I can click on the pic for a larger view, but it is slightly blurry for the detail we are looking for to diagnose it. It doesn't let me zoom in any closer via computer functions. BUT...I was able to get a better view by using a magnifying glass. I will stick with my original statement - It's the butt stock that is out of spec. I've been wrong before no doubt though. I see how some are calling it the mount/back plate...there is a bit of shine to one side which gives the impression the back plate is off center - but it's not. It's the butt stock ! And yes I'll take the beat down if I'm wrong lol. Sad part is, FN is likely to send it back not stating what the problem was. Update us if FN lets you know what the problem is. Then you can recommend Canyon Man be hired as the QC, and I'll go slap them boys around a little bit and make sure this kind of stuff doesn't get out the shop doors again ha !

I'm down for a little friendly wager - perhaps a 20 round box of FGMM 168 grainers ? Of course we will have to wait until 2023 before a box is available to purchase again lol. But I'm feeling pretty good about the butt stock being the winning ticket here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mark the butt stock and back plate with a silver sharpie in an inconspicuous place before sending it back...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, like you say, it's up to the experts now. I can click on the pic for a larger view, but it is slightly blurry for the detail we are looking for to diagnose it. It doesn't let me zoom in any closer via computer functions. BUT...I was able to get a better view by using a magnifying glass. I will stick with my original statement - It's the butt stock that is out of spec. I've been wrong before no doubt though. I see how some are calling it the mount/back plate...there is a bit of shine to one side which gives the impression the back plate is off center - but it's not. It's the butt stock ! And yes I'll take the beat down if I'm wrong lol. Sad part is, FN is likely to send it back not stating what the problem was. Update us if FN lets you know what the problem is. Then you can recommend Canyon Man be hired as the QC, and I'll go slap them boys around a little bit and make sure this kind of stuff doesn't get out the shop doors again ha !

I'm down for a little friendly wager - perhaps a 20 round box of FGMM 168 grainers ? Of course we will have to wait until 2023 before a box is available to purchase again lol. But I'm feeling pretty good about the butt stock being the winning ticket here.
Certainly could be. It is hard to tell in the pics and lighting can easily fool the viewer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Not to sound rude but do any of you guys commenting have a scar that could contribute your own top down pics?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts