FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew what the area under the hammer assembly was for. When you remove the buttstock there is a large area for storage there. If you look at the frame inside it appears to be cut for something to slide in and retain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From a quick glance. It looks like it's designed for something to slide out, not in, but it doesn't look too secure either, since it has an open end in the grooves and then a good amount of space for said container/box to fall out the grooves. Also it's not cut, it's actually molded outward, so at some point this had a purpose in the rifle, maybe they forgot to do away with it after a change to the inner workings of the rifle.

The groves do make it look like a tray or box of some sort could slid in and out. But the open end of the groves is at the barrel end, not the buttstock end. So something could be put in there, but it'd be a might bit difficult to remove completely. Perhaps a sliding box with lid to hold a compact cleaning kit, bolt/firing pin, or spare batteries for the fancy lights and optics. If the groves and tongues are at the right spot on the container it wouldn't fall out of the tracks, but it would slid back and forth. Unless it was some how secured with say and elastic strap attached to the rubber buttstock.

You wouldn't want to store anything back there that wasn't in a sealed container to help keep out the carbon and oil.

Anything is possible.

Wild_Bill

P.S. Now I'm trying to figure out how to make said box because of this. And two days ago I was trying to figure out how to modify a PMag to work with the dust cover in the magwell, this is getting worse by the day. :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have some old film containers (small black bottle types with grey lid) it works great to store a spare set of batteries for your red dot optic. You can sticky it down to make sure it doesn't move around.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi guys i'm new to this forum but not to fs 2000's if i remember correctly the large area was originally for a special battery for the military version that used a night vision system. i could be wrong but i though i had read that in a military magazine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I remember reading about a computer for the rifle, and battery pack. (Computer counts rounds fired and when, and also allows for fire control for 40mm launcher that is laser ranged for elevation so you can drop the round right onto the target every tame if your aim is right for windage...)

Then again, it would make an awesome place to carry a sealed cleaning kit and spare batteries etc. Also a spare switch would not be a bad idea.

Just thinking out loud.. LOL

·
Registered
127 Posts
Darin said:
Hi guys i'm new to this forum but not to fs 2000's if i remember correctly the large area was originally for a special battery for the military version that used a night vision system. i could be wrong but i though i had read that in a military magazine.
That makes very good sense to me.

If you look closely at the ID of the stock halves, it appears that there is a "cable" run from this area up to the rail area.

Thanks,

Hoover

·
Registered
150 Posts
healthcommando said:
Some guys have been known to keep their lunch in there when going to the range all day.
i love the taste of carbon and oil on my sandwich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts