FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing a new Timney trigger in my SCAR today, when I noticed a strange bolt in the front left corner of the lower where the mag seats in the top part. It looked like a bolt that had been ground down from the factory and I noticed that my buddies scar had it too but mine had come unseated in my gun after firing it a lot yesterday. Should I glue or locktite it back in place? What the heck is it? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,042 Posts
AFAIK, it's a piece of steel which had to be ground down to make the ATF happy, glue it back in and don't worry, be happy... :?

I was installing a new Timney trigger in my SCAR today, when I noticed a strange bolt in the front left corner of the lower where the mag seats in the top part. It looked like a bolt that had been ground down from the factory and I noticed that my buddies scar had it too but mine had come unseated in my gun after firing it a lot yesterday. Should I glue or locktite it back in place? What the heck is it? Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm curious, why would that bother the ATF?

·
Premium Member
9,042 Posts
It doesn't bother them, it would have bothered you. Had it not been ground down you would not have been able to insert a magazine rendering both yours and my 16s useless. Something to do with compliance again, AFAIK some components come from Belgium and I believe the trigger module/lower is one of them and so that they can be legally imported that piece of metal blocking the magwell renders it useless. I'm sure someone can quote you the federal statute...

I'm curious, why would that bother the ATF?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha, thanks!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
The rifles come from Belgium and in order to import them into the US, they need to have the mag well blocked so that it can't accept detachable mags. They grind it out once it arrives here.

It doesn't need to be there period, so if it falls out, no need to keep it. The extra stripped lowers available here don't have it.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Yup, normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts