FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the first time i shot a ss109 out of my now sold colt sporter i was at the police range there are some granite rocks in the back stop well i was standing about 15-20 yards and no **** a baseball sized chunck droped right next to me.

second time i had just bought a tech-9 i took it to the same range loaded it with golden sabers i shot a few they were tumbling hitting the paper and leaving side ways holes in it so i thought will theses even pentrate wood so i took a shot a a 4x4 well it bounced off an i seen a gold blur line fly right through my legs ankle level scared the **** out of me since i walked to the range i was alone and had no cell phone if that would have hit me i could not have walk any where and most likely would have bled out right there. I checked the rifleing it stoped half way down barrel I took it back the next day

I was at the mohton gun club one day i was shooting my glock 23 when a factory 165 gr federal hydra shock discharged half way in to the chamber it blew the back half of the case apart the mag poped out of the gun and i got powder burns all over my hand. I sold it the next day this was a gen one glock and i had to toss every round i shot since they were so far out i could not reload them for my S&W of spec.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Damn dude - never go to the range with U :p :p :p

1x, in 98 or 1999 - I was shooting steel targets with a 1911. Some of these were silhouette shaped and rather large.

Anyway, on one range trip, I was wearing shorts (summer time). Part of 1 round richocheted and cut my leg. It was just a fragment, and nothing went in. It just glanced me. But, I backed up after that :p

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah that will make you stop and go Hummmm :roll:

Hey I feel lucky i have been shooting about 25-26 years and no one has accidentally been hurt :shock: we are very safe i also i would only shoot a steel target with a LFP or LRN that close i even cast rounds for my .40 cast lead is the best infact i cast lead bullets for every hand gun well all but the 5.7

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the misfortune to see a tragedy occur at a local range several years back. What appeared to be two friends were shooting at the range, and the person standing behind must've asked a question or made some comment to the shooter, because it looked like the shooter turned her head around to respond (gun still pointed down range), when the firearm discharged. The shooter didn't loose her grip on the firearm, but after the first discharge, the gun was no longer pointing down range and it went off a second time and hit the guy.

The other scary incident that I had the misfortune to see was a hot shot kid and his more "normal" friends show up at the range (I was in the lane right next to him). The idiot/troublemaker starts off w/ renting a rifle and setting up a target at 30' (that's feet, not yards, and it's one of those targets of a badguy...the HUGE target, oh and did i mention we were in the indoor pistol range section?). He starts shooting at about 2 bullets a second...doesn't hit the target even once. Finally he ends up shooting the clip that's holding the target (which falls off). As the target is floating to the ground, he keeps shooting at it like he's going to hit it. He gets his first warning from the range master. He returns the rifle and brings back a 9mm glock, a new target setup at 30'. He holds the gun tilted sideways (movie gangster style), and starts firing away, once again not hitting the target. I hear him say how the gun sucks, that his are better, and the eye / ear protection is ruining his game...he takes both off and tries shooting again with about as much success. Then he steps back out of the lane (gun still loaded), all pissed off then looks at the side of the gun...yes, the gun is now pointing down all the lanes at people and not down his lane. Needless to say, by this time everyone in the range is aware of this idiot and was keeping an eye on him, so when he starts pointing a loaded pistol down the lanes, everyone started to take a bead on him...and the range master finally threw him out.

His friends stuck around to continue shooting, but it was obvious that this was their first time, so I showed them how to aim (the glock that supposedly "sucked" was fine), and more importantly taught them gun safety. I'm not sure if all the do's and donts stuck, but after watching them for a while, I certainly felt safer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ive had two things...

Guy in the store brings in a .45 1911 im about 2 feet next to him with my back turned to him and then BOOM!!! Damn it was loud... I jump thinking he was shooting at people. I turn around to see two people with there weapons unholsterd yelling at him this dumbass is pointing the gun all around trying to figure out what happened. I get up and look at the hole in the tile then start to feel wet on my leg, a part of the bullet splintered and sliced my leg open nicely..

After I could hear I could hear his say the classic line "I did not know it was loaded"

turns out he is a brain surgeon...

Only other thing was a .357MAG FMJ hit a tree about 20 yards out came back and hit my in the thigh, had a hell of a welt from that. Still not sure how the hell thing came back at me..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but I live near Microsoft...so yeah...you can get an idea of the type of people who show up to go shooting. I used to go to a different range where people who were more famililar w/ firearms only went, but unfortunately it closed down.

I think I'll try a membership at the state run public range w/ a completely seperate shooting area for members.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have two tales of interest...

#1 I have been hit by ricochets which have drawn blood but my closest call on the range was in the early 90's. I was almost shot in the head by a guy in the adjacent booth. Actually, I should say he was supposed to be in the adjacent booth. I was told by a guy who was behind the line, that this guy stepped back, out of the booth with a stovepipe jam.

When he went to clear it, he brought the pistol across his chest (so it was aimed in my general direction), cupped the top of the slide's rear, and racked the action while his finger was still on the trigger. The spent casing cleared, a new round was chambered, and BANG! -Needless to say, I left since I didn't want to be on the same range with guy.

#2 Years later, I saw one of the dumbest range officers I've ever seen put his head way too close to guns being fired during competition. I don't know if things have changed, but at GSSF events, range officers were allowed to keep the brass that fell. This range officer was apparently a reloader and he was chasing brass on the ground while the shooter was firing. His head ended up in front of my barrel (although beneath it) as I did my string of fire. I spoke to him about it and he was very cavalier saying he knew I wouldn't shoot him. I asked him if he knew when someone was going to have an accident. I should have asked him what the winning numbers were for the lottery.

·
Registered
156 Posts
illumin said:
I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but I live near Microsoft...so yeah...you can get an idea of the type of people who show up to go shooting. I used to go to a different range where people who were more famililar w/ firearms only went, but unfortunately it closed down.
Microsoft has a gun club and my friend was a member. I can't speak for all of them since I have not seen all of them shoot but the ones I did see seemed to be safe.

I used to live near Microsoft and shot at WSI. It was a real shame to hear they went out of business since they were far better than their local competitor, Wade's. When I moved away, Wade's had a lot of room for improvement in multiple areas.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
My brother and I went to an indoor range last year in Humble Texas (it burned down a few months ago) We were in lanes next to each other shooting 1911's and P245's at 7 yards. We had been shooting a while without incident, and then I fired a round and I hear my brother yell "OW" over the devider. I unloaded and laid down my gun and stepped over behind him to see what was wrong. I figured he released the slide on his finger or something. But he was standing there holding my 45 bullet in his hand. It had bouned back and hit him dead center over his heart. It just left a little red spot on his chest. We never shot there again.

TA

·
Registered
9 Posts
BreakerDave said:
illumin said:
Microsoft has a gun club and my friend was a member. I can't speak for all of them since I have not seen all of them shoot but the ones I did see seemed to be safe.

I used to live near Microsoft and shot at WSI. It was a real shame to hear they went out of business since they were far better than their local competitor, Wade's. When I moved away, Wade's had a lot of room for improvement in multiple areas.

I probably shouldn't have been so general in my statement, so the adjusted version :x :

* yes, MS has a gun club...I watched it grow from a social group on the Exchange servers to the club (I used to be FTE there from '95-'99).

* yes the club members are safe shooters from what I've seen myself (there almost has to be a few safe shooters at any company w/ 40,000+ employees). Go safe shooters! 8)

* most of the MS shooters that I saw at Wade's (hehe...you knew exactly which 2 shops I was talking about...WSI was the place I used to go to), are rookie shooters that have zero respect for guns looking for a quick thrill (i.e. the majority of MS people who I see show up at Wade's). They did stuff that made me swear I'd never go back there...stuff like pointing their firearm down the lanes because of a jam or walking away from the firing lane to chat w/ a friend / coworker...w/ their loaded firearm...and this happened at least twice a month.

* I've had to lecture a few people from MS who have pointed a sidearm at me. Of course they say stuff like "calm down...it's not like it's loaded, what's the big deal?". One guy even came back to me a few months later telling me how I was right when I told him to always assume a gun is loaded. He told me one day he was playing w/ his sidearm like he usually does, clip removed, dropped the slide lock, heard a solid thunk, then pulled the slide back quickly to have a round pop out...yup, you guessed it, he forgot about removing the round he puts in the pipe...his baby girl was nearby. He was lucky. He took gun safety courses right after that incident...of course I think it's something he should've learned before he touched or owned a firearm.

* One idiot I knew decided reloading was the cool thing to do...because our manager reloaded. So he started reloading...ok, so not a big deal...until I heard from another coworker about how he cracked the slide on his sig because he was packing WAY too much powder into his reloads to get that extra oomph out of his shots...he got that alright.

* Then again, this is only from what I've seen, and shouldn't be used to sterotype all MS employees...most of the employees I know are scared of firearms, and have the good sense to realize that they shouldn't go near one. Yay for smart people :lol:

Some friends of mine who shoot at Wade's regularly have told me they've tightened things up there since the incidents I've seen...maybe they have and I'll try going back again, but I've felt unsafe so many times, I'm litteraly gun shy of that place :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
My brother and I went to an indoor range last year in Humble Texas (it burned down a few months ago) We were in lanes next to each other shooting 1911's and P245's at 7 yards. We had been shooting a while without incident, and then I fired a round and I hear my brother yell "OW" over the devider. I unloaded and laid down my gun and stepped over behind him to see what was wrong. I figured he released the slide on his finger or something. But he was standing there holding my 45 bullet in his hand. It had bouned back and hit him dead center over his heart. It just left a little red spot on his chest. We never shot there again.

TA
holy crap that's scary! glad to hear your brother was safe.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, tehre are no scary or strange stories, that I was involved / present, at least at the range. But there sure are funny / stupid ones.

#1. This was in 2004, when I just bought my AKS-74U. I went to the range, with the permission to empty mags in less than 3 seconds, if you know what I mean. The owner of the range had very old russian 5.45x39 ammo, and asked me, if he can try the gun with his ammo. I sure handed over the gun, as I knew him, and hey, AKs can't be killed anyway.

He loads up 6 Mags with his ammo, and starts to shoot mag by mag. When he was at the 5th mag, it started to smell really bad in the range, and I told him to stop shooting. we then watched at the bullet stop, and saw, that it was burning. He then checked the full discription on his ammo boxes, and it was damn Tracer ammo. That was almost the best laugh I ever had at a range.

#2. This ist the best laugh I ever had.

I was again at that indoor range, and wanted to try my Barrett indoor at 25 Meters. As the range rules say, that all non nuclear calibers are allowed, I thought it would be worth a try. I was in the sepparated Rifle part, where there are 3 lanes, and it's a quite small room. The whole range is built in an old Bomb Shelter, so there is nothing but concrete and the bullet stop. I assembled the Barrett, and put 3 tables behind the lane sepparators, so I could build myself something like a prone position.

After a few seconds, when I was just done with loading the Mags, 4 young "boys" came through the door, and looked, as if they never saw that kind of artillery before. They asked, if they could watch me shoot. I said yes :twisted:

I positioned myself on the tables, and made sure, that the muzzlebrake was still a bit behind the lane sepparators. I put the mag in the bun, pulled the handle back, and let it smash forward. Then, I doublechecked my hearing protection, set the safety to fire and pulled the trigger. :twisted:

When I looked around after engaging the safety again, there were 2 of em laying on the ground, because they got hit by the blast, and were not prepared for it. The other 2 just stood there, and looked, like they saw Jesus doing breakdance. :x :lol:

I was laughing so hard, I couldn't even say anything anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts