FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still getting use to my FNP-9, and it's my 1st pistol with a rail - part of the reason I bought it. I plan on using it as my house gun & I wanted a light to identify targets at night. Figure while I am at it, why not get a laser to play with too.

Anyway, does anyone know how the TLR2 will affect my Point of Impact when shooting?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Halfneck I pulled the following link from the streamlight website.

a TLR-2 on a handgun can be adjusted to keep the bullet strike within about 2” high and 2” low out to about 100 feet.

http://www.streamlight.com/documents/op-instructions/TLR_op.pdf

You can pretty much adjust it to where you want it. Especially for what you want to use it for. So you can pretty much get the point of impact or zero range within say roughly 1/4 inch at 25 feet. Or less depending on how perfect you want it.

Any engagement in a home can usually be between 5 and 25 feet.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Realize - that with any laser... You choose the distance you wanted it sighted in at. Then, when you are closer or further than that range, the laser will not be exact. It will be close, but not exact. It will only be exact for the distance you set it at.

Back when I used lasers, I'd set them for 7 yards. That's a decent household distance.

Then, if you were a little closer, it's only be a little bit low. And a couple of yards further - it wouldn't make much difference either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links & replies.

Guess I did not word my question right.

Currently my FNP-9 shoots best with 115gr. Put the bottom of the front sight right under the bull at 10 yards & it hits dead on. Just wondering if after I mount the TLR2, how it will affect my targeting. Will it still hit the same, or will it be high or low?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
It should be the same, mechanically wise anyway. You might initially shoot a little low the first time you shoot with it on due to a change in the balance, but once you get used to it you should be fine. That is the only reason I can think of for your aim to be off.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
And, you can change the aim on the laser to wherever U want. So, with a few minutes and a few esxtra rounds, you get to use the adjusting screws and aim the last any way you want.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use a TLR-2 on my FN-45, and HK P2000. What an outstanding piece of kit this unit it. Found mine for just under $220.

I've zeroed it for 25 feet, since if I have to use the weapon/laser in the house, this is about the distance it will be at. Did this at the range with paper. Pulled the trigger, and a black hole appeared where the last dot used to be. Cool.

Anything closer, you're going to hit your target. Anything farther, and you'll probably still hit the target, or at least scare the crap out of them when they see the dot.

The elevation and side-to-side tuning of the laser is pretty easy to manage with a small hex driver. That remains part of my took kit in the range and bug-out bags.

As an aside on their CS... Like a complete tool, I dropped my TLR and bent the front bezel. Unit still worked great, put it back on the weapon, and it did not lose its zero. That was impressive. I called up Streamlight to get another bezel, explaining I damaged the bezel and fully expected to pay for a new one. They sent one to me for free.

It's stuff like that that makes people customers for life. +1 to Streamlight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the TLR 1 same as the TRL2 minus the laser. Putting the light on a gun will not effect the point of aim it will only add a little weigh to the front end. I have found that it seems to reduce the recoil a little bit due to the added weight but doesn't effect my aim at all.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
It doesn't change POI, and it does reduce muzzle flip by the addition of the weight.

:?

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

·
Registered
500 Posts
We carry TLR2 on our duty glocks. They are good lights, well built and bright. IMHO, I like the light on the gun but not the laser. Ive tried to train with it and have seen too many people rely on them before thier sights. I am a firm believer in Mr. Murphy. If the batteries die then your stuck...
Try training with just the light in point and shoot drills. Youll find that at close range (3-7 yrds) the main beam of the light is where the bullets will land. I dont shoot relying on the beam but if you have to point and shoot in a hurry, the beam is larger and better seen that a very small red dot. Again...just my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts