FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I begin, I'd like to reference another thread that is very similar. In addition to being similar, that thread serves as an example of the importance to keep the content on track-- to prevent deviation of content that gets an otherwise valuable thread shutdown (closed). For starters, this is the thread: https://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fns/215305-old-vs-new-striker.html .

I posted this in the 509 forum, because my situation occurred with my newest FN (a 509). The key point is that the 509 shares the same striker that is used in all FNS and 509 pistols. Now, for the issue. If you took the time to read Post #1 in the link above, I encountered the same occurrence. My 509's striker broke.

I had approx 200 snaps, with Sure Strike laser snap cap and just over 100 live rounds fired. I was cycling and snapping when it happened. When I pulled the slide rearward, I felt something fall from the back of the slide. It was the striker block and its spring, which was no longer held/captured after the striker broke. An inspection confirmed this. I recalled the info in the above link and installed a new (spare) striker to get the slide relieved of its inability to cycle and then removed the slide for further inspection.

The former thread was invaluable-- thank you Jeepnut. Also, having spare parts on hand was priceless. I'm sending it back to FN for an assessment and for them to supply a new/replacement striker.

I'm hoping that FN can gain insight as to the failure, by returning it to them for assessment. I'm an FN fan and would like to see all striker issues put to rest.

PS- Kudos to Jackie at FN Customer Service and Sam in Tech Support-- both were great and very helpful!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Thanks for sharing this bwwoodard. This is indeed a bit concerning since it's the second instance we've heard of the new striker breaking. I'm going to think out loud here again, with no certain knowledge regarding this theory I have - just a theory - not sure on this for sure - but here it is...The thread you linked to regarding the first occurrence of a 509 striker breaking didn't specify how many rounds he had through the pistol, but it seemed pretty new. Yours had about 200 snaps and 100 live fires. Pretty low round counts on both pistols. Stick with me here...About 10 years ago, I had a Springfield Armory M1A rifle, that has a cast hammer in it's fire control group. That hammer broke within like the first couple hundred rounds I had fired through the rifle. My theory is - if there is a part that is cast or mim, and there is a manufacturer's defect in it - like there was an air pocket inside the part during the casting process -that it surfaces rather quickly. (And I'm not very knowledgeable on the casting process - so my theory is up for argument and scrutiny for sure) I have also heard on at least one other report of a hammer breaking on a Springfield M1A in a very low round count too. It's not something I was trying to keep up with, but just remember. I have also had three other Springfield M1A rifles, a couple of them with a few thousand rounds through them, and never had a hammer break. I suppose there are varying degrees of how bad of a defect of a cast part could have, and possibly it wouldn't show up until many rounds are fired - but I'm developing the opinion that if the FNS, or any firearm with cast parts, makes it a thousand rounds - you are probably pretty safe to assume the cast parts incorporated into your firearm don't have any kind of defect, and should last the expected amount of life expectancy the manufacturer intends it to have. In the future, if I hear of a cast part breaking, I'm going to inquire the approximate round count on the firearm in question.

I haven't fired my FNS that much since I got the new striker. I test fired I can't remember, around 200 rounds maybe ? I also did my (often viewed as crazy) submersion test to see if the pistol still fired with the new striker after being submerged in water. (And yes, it did - worked with the new and old striker) But I've been cheating on my FNS with other pistols as of late, and haven't put many through my FNS at all with the new striker in it. I'm going to be putting rounds down range with it now, at least another thousand or so to build my confidence this isn't a more wide spread problem that hasn't been detected yet. My guess is, it would have popped up on you tube or something by now if it was a common thing - but you just never know- not everyone you tubes, or puts their defects or malfunctions on public social media. So thanks again for posting the breakage of your striker. It's valuable information for all of us.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose there are varying degrees of how bad of a defect of a cast part could have, and possibly it wouldn't show up until many rounds are fired - but I'm developing the opinion that if the FNS, or any firearm with cast parts, makes it a thousand rounds - you are probably pretty safe to assume the cast parts incorporated into your firearm don't have any kind of defect, and should last the expected amount of life expectancy the manufacturer intends it to have. In the future, if I hear of a cast part breaking, I'm going to inquire the approximate round count on the firearm in question.
I think your theory is pretty sound. The greater the integrity of the composition of the intended design, the higher the quality of build and the greater the longevity. From a manufacturing point of view, the critical points to determine are quality control and improved processing. How can this quality be continuously tested in manufacturing, verified, and weaknesses identified early on-- in order to make the necessary adjustments that products require, to meet performance criteria? [Rhetorically speaking]

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I'm betting greater minds than mine have tried to figure that out. I'm not sure there is any way to know if a cast part has a metallurgy defect. I don't know of any X-Ray process that could see into and through the parts looking for air pockets. Nor do I think a rockwell hardness test could detect a small weak area. Making sure the process they use is as consistent and reliable as they can make it within the budget allowed to produce it. In the end, I guess this is why milled and forged parts are so coveted. It seems we never hear of a Ruger revolver cracking a frame, and those are made of a type of casting. I know there's a couple different types of casting processes - like investment casting is one. I just really don't know. I'm betting smaller parts are of a different process than receivers. I know in the M14/M1A world, TRW and GI parts are the preference. But in today's world, I think most companies are using some type of mim parts in them. I think most of the time they work just fine, but on something like firearms, there are many who take issue with using them. I wish I had an answer. My theory of finding a bad part in a low round count is the most optimism I can offer - and it is still just a theory. I'm glad you had a spare striker, and you're doing everyone a service by sending it to FN for inspection. I'm curious if FN will offer any explanation that would prove beneficial to us.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Canyon Man said:
I don't know of any X-Ray process that could see into and through the parts looking for air pockets. Nor do I think a rockwell hardness test could detect a small weak area.
They use a magnaflux process to find imperfections in ferrous metals -- but that usually identifies cracks and fissures and other surface imperfections. I don't know whether cavities or air pockets in the metal would affect the surface enough for the metallic dyes to show an imperfection under the surface. Probably not. (It's a pretty simple process that only requires spraying on a metallic dye and viewing it under special light -- no special goggles, lenses, etc.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also experienced a broken striker within 500 rounds. I have a 509m.

The same also occurred with my 509. I dry fire a lot. On the 509, I never used snap caps (my fault). On the midsize, I used them religiously. I don't understand why the strikers keep breaking on these guns.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
509 IMG_0253 (2).jpg

The same also occurred with my 509. I dry fire a lot. On the 509, I never used snap caps (my fault). On the midsize, I used them religiously. I don't understand why the strikers keep breaking on these guns.
Sorry to hear that-- thanks for sharing. To best assess, each broken striker would need to be evaluated-- to get a better understanding. I'll post pics of mine, which: (1) appears to have broke where there was the least amount of material/support, and (2) the shaft appears to have begun to distort (not parallel). I suspect the fractured areas allowed the shaft to distort, after the striker was fired for the last time, causing the un-parallel sides of the shaft due to unsupported compression after the break View attachment 127413

·
Registered
44 Posts
View attachment 127415

Sorry to hear that-- thanks for sharing. To best assess, each broken striker would need to be evaluated-- to get a better understanding. I'll post pics of mine, which: (1) appears to have broke where there was the least amount of material/support, and (2) the shaft appears to have begun to distort (not parallel). I suspect the fractured areas allowed the shaft to distort, after the striker was fired for the last time, causing the un-parallel sides of the shaft due to unsupported compression after the break View attachment 127413
Here is a picture of mine. Seems to be a similar case

·
Registered
44 Posts
View attachment 127415

Here is a picture of mine. Seems to be a similar case
Sorry, pic didn't load.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I shot my brand new 509T last week and it ran flawlessly @ 150 rounds. Go to the range today, and gun started experiencing light primer strikes after the first round with several types of ammo. Went home, disassembled and found striker was broken. Here's hoping for good customer service when I call on Monday....

·
Registered
869 Posts
Does 509 have same striker as FNS9c post 2017?

Reactions: macman1138

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does 509 have same striker as FNS9c post 2017?
Based on the FNS Service Bulletin and the fact that the 509 is excluded from the bulletin, it should be the same (newest) striker in all of the FN striker pistols-- starting Feb. 12, 2017 and forward.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I just wrote a fairly long post on how concerned I am about this issue now. I came back and edited it down to just this - After another report of a broken striker, I have grave concerns about it. As bwwoodard points out below, perhaps it's just a bad batch of strikers that made it out to the public. Time will tell.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I shot my brand new 509T last week and it ran flawlessly @ 150 rounds. Go to the range today, and gun started experiencing light primer strikes after the first round with several types of ammo. Went home, disassembled and found striker was broken. Here's hoping for good customer service when I call on Monday....
Thanks for sharing. If you are able, please upload a pic.

My concern is whether our striker's manufacturing process was flawed in general, or if there may have been a bad "batch". If a bad batch, I wonder how many were affected.

FN Tech Support should take care of the return. I hope our "replacements" are as reliable as the earlier machined strikers. I've read where some have realized 15,000 -20,000 strikes without failure, on the earlier design.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hate to say the unpopular thing here, but I literally have "grave" concerns about this issue now. It's bad enough to have a thread saying my striker broke, now we have two threads, and five pistols reporting in with broken new strikers. My level of concern went up after reading rippleswithpebbles reported he had two pistols that incurred broken strikers. I called FN Friday, and spoke with tech support for about five minutes. He told me there are literally millions of striker fired pistols out there and the interweb is full of stories of strikers breaking, and believes nothing is wrong with the new updated striker by FN. He said it had been tested with thousands of rounds, and believes there is no underlying issue to be concerned about.

I love my FNS .40 long slide, and I've put a fair amount of money into spare parts to make sure I'm good to go in case FN ceased production of the dying out .40 caliber pistols. I bet I have as much in mags and spare parts as the cost of the pistol. I'm trying to keep a cool head about this, but until I have at least a thousand rounds through my pistol, I'm sidelining it. That's a big deal to me. I hope I'm over reacting, and others chime in raving about they have 15,000 rounds through their pistol without a problem. I also have two additional updated strikers. I do not plan on having to put a thousand rounds through each of those strikers to feel comfortable enough with them to rely on them.

I'm also not down for doing hours of research to find out if this happens with other brands of pistols. I only know of the Sig P365 that has had a striker problem. The fact that rippleswithpebbles owned two pistols, and both of them incurred striker breakages concerns the heck out of me. I don't care if he did do a lot of dry fires with one of them or not - what are the odds of that happening unless there is a genuine metallury insufficiency problem going on here. Is it possible we need a recall on a recall that fixed the first recall ? I don't know if this is wide spread or what, but it seems to me FN must have received more than a few phone calls on this. How many people not on this forum have experienced the same problem ? I may be over reacting, and hope I am, but I'm not going to wait for a company to decide they have to issue a recall with something I bet my life on. If they don't, I'll keep an open eye for more reported problems, and just let my FNS collect dust for a while.

I'm sorry for another long post on this thread, but if I sound disappointed, it's because I am. I'll have to pull up you tube vids for longevity reviews and stuff it looks like - time spent. I never thought I'd even consider selling my FNS, but i must admit, I may have to. I'll sit on it for a year or so and see where the ball bounces I guess. I know it's only five pistols reporting in - but I also know we represent like one percent of the FNS/509 owners out there too. Perhaps I'll find out this happens to Glocks, XD's, and Smith's all the time, and I'm just not aware of it or something - but no - I don't think that's going to happen.

I'll close in saying my Glock 23 with OEM threaded barrel and Trijicon HD XR night sights is fully dressed and ready for active duty. My Smith & Wesson .40 cal five inch pistol still needs night sights and an Apex trigger, but can still do the job and is ready enough for deployment. One of those two pistols will be in the night stand tonight, and I'll be calling FN again on Monday to inform them I indeed think they have a problem and it's caused me to shelve a pistol until further notice. They'll most likely take it with a grain of salt, but there's also the chance I'm one of hundreds of callers that may have an effect on if they look into this or not. I love FN, but I believe they are going to have to eat crow on this one. If not, I face the possibility of selling my beloved FNS, and taking a blood bath on money spent on an unpopular .40 cal pistol, and a boat load of spare parts. But I'd rather lose money than be buried because a striker broke at the wrong time. And it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to be flamed over this post and assured I was crazy and over reacting. Gees, one person had two pistols that both incurred broken strikers. I'm just not gonna' play those odds.
I have a feeling that our "original" [machined] striker will last a VERY LONG time. Many have reported high round counts with it. I'm not turning loose of mine.

It's ironic that your "replacement" strikers might not be as robust as your original. It is possible that your machined striker may last the life of the pistol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling that our "original" [machined] striker will last a VERY LONG time. Many have reported high round counts with it. I'm not turning loose of mine.

It's ironic that your "replacement" strikers might not be as robust as your original. It is possible that your machined striker may last the life of the pistol.[/QUOTE]

Is there any way to buy the original striker? Why the hell did they go away from that?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just wrote a fairly long post on how concerned I am about this issue now. I came back and edited it down to just this - After another report of a broken striker, I have grave concerns about it. As bwwoodard points out below, perhaps it's just a bad batch of strikers that made it out to the public. Time will tell.
Lending credence to this theory, Midwest gun is sold out of 509 strikers. They were in stock a week ago when I first called about mine. It seems the handful of calls has FN on high alert and they may be making some rolling changes.

If so, consider me pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Wanting to stock up, I see MGW is out of stock on this item ...

What other parts should be replaced alongside a striker failure?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wanting to stock up, I see MGW is out of stock on this item ...

What other parts should be replaced alongside a striker failure?
Honestly, I think the rest of the gun is bulletproof. It's so well made. The striker is a big part of it yes, so failure is inexcusable. Just makes it all the more disappointing given how well made the gun is otherwise.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts