FN Herstal Firearms banner

241 - 260 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm sure that like Sig says of the 366 issue, it's a less than 1% of 1% of the manufactured parts that have an issue. Add to that, the issue of owners ignoring the don't dryfire note in the manual.....and a recall isn't really needed.

·
Registered
980 Posts
bwwoodard said:
exactly! Which is why i stick with the original machined part.
Several other forum members stuck with theirs, as well.

I wanted to be able to, someday, with clear conscience, trade or sell the weapons with no nagging questions about the possibility of unintended discharges. (My son is a gun enthusiast, but he's mostly into SIGs so he isn't likely to keep them if he gets guns when I die.) My getting the upgrades, then, was me erriing on the side of what some might consider SAFETY. (I can understand why other might just think it an error on my part.)

Does anyone know whether the original striker was made using MIM technology. I would assume it WAS -- as I wouldn't expect them to change that sort of processing practice for a recall that was quickly addressed. The fact that they could get another one or two (later mods) quickly suggests they're set up for MIM.

The problem FN has had with their strikers may not be MIM technology, but a mis-step in making upgrade with a new design feature that wasn't as well-thought-through or well-tested as it should have been before it was put into production.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 · (Edited)
I educated myself and feel that the original issue was a non-issue, especially when one considers the unique and highly unlikely/abnormal circumstances that surrounded the reports. There’s another thread about it, in detail. And a great video by an AZ PD.

As for the original striker, 100% without a doubt it was MACHINED. It has beautiful machining marks which are visible. There’s no question that it is Machined, upon removal and inspection. Feels a little heavier too.

bwwoodard said:
exactly! Which is why i stick with the original machined part.
Several other forum members stuck with theirs, as well.

I wanted to be able to, someday, with clear conscience, trade or sell the weapons with no nagging questions about the possibility of unintended discharges. (My son is a gun enthusiast, but he's mostly into SIGs so he isn't likely to keep them if he gets guns when I die.) My getting the upgrades, then, was me erriing on the side of what some might consider SAFETY. (I can understand why other might just think it an error on my part.)

Does anyone know whether the original striker was made using MIM technology. I would assume it WAS -- as I wouldn't expect them to change that sort of processing practice for a recall that was quickly addressed. The fact that they could get another one or two (later mods) quickly suggests they're set up for MIM.

The problem FN has had with their strikers may not be MIM technology, but a mis-step in making upgrade with a new design feature that wasn't as well-thought-through or well-tested as it should have been before it was put into production.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was really hoping to get back into the 509 game again, but I think I’m gonna hold off again for awesome hoping for a more solid and clear resolution. I know I could buy the Apex striker but that’s also a relatively new product. I’m gonna wait for some more solid, long track records before diving in again.

If I’m missing something or am misinformed, I’m open to it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was really hoping to get back into the 509 game again, but I think I’m gonna hold off again for awesome hoping for a more solid and clear resolution. I know I could buy the Apex striker but that’s also a relatively new product. I’m gonna wait for some more solid, long track records before diving in again.

If I’m missing something or am misinformed, I’m open to it.
I have 1,935 rounds through mine with the Apex striker and have had zero problems. I am confident that Apex has a quality product.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm at 2000 rounds in my midsize with factory MIM striker, no mishaps. My 2 FNS9C's have combined over 4000 rounds with their "recalled" machined strikers, no mishaps. Total combined dry fires for other than disassembly.......zero.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I educated myself and feel that the original issue was a non-issue, especially when one considers the unique and highly unlikely/abnormal circumstances that surrounded the reports. There’s another thread about it, in detail. And a great video by an AZ PD.

As for the original striker, 100% without a doubt it was MACHINED. It has beautiful machining marks which are visible. There’s no question that it is Machined, upon removal and inspection. Feels a little heavier too.
Nope. The OEM part is MIM.

Apex Tactical’s Failure Resistant Striker is machined is the heavier of the two.

Same with the extractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m sorry to say that I likewise experienced a broken striker pin with my FN 509 Compact MRD at an event with several shooters. My pistol is less than two months old with only 100 rounds of live fire and lots of dry fire practice.

My feedback to Jackie at customer service will be that I will want a refund of 49.99 + shipping for an Apex Striker pin. This pistol is not fit for use as a self defense firearm.

It will be retrofitted with an Apex striker and Apex trigger. I lost confidence in FN as a quality manufacturer.

·
Administrator
12,018 Posts
Do you think that those "lots of dry fires" had anything to do with the failure?

You did not specify how you dry fired so I wanted to ask.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you think that those "lots of dry fires" had anything to do with the failure?

You did not specify how you dry fired so I wanted to ask.
I do think that lots of dry fires without snap caps is a contributing factor, but it’s a secondary factor. I believe that the issue is in the inherent weakness of the skinny part of the striker. Conversations with FN customer service and with Apex CS are that the FN 509 should be dry fired sparingly and only with snap caps. This leads me to conclude that while the FN 509 may a be good pistol, it is less than other comparable pistols. I can dry fire my other striker fired pistols such as CZ and Glock without snap caps till the cows come home, with no issues. They go bang every time with live ammo.

I believe that the primary issue is that FN management will not acknowledge that they have an issue and retrofit the design. I blame myself most of all, because I purchased the firearm after I had seen a review of the FN 509 pistol on The Tactical Toolbox. Likewise he had the striker pin break on him.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I do think that lots of dry fires without snap caps is a contributing factor, but it’s a secondary factor. I believe that the issue is in the inherent weakness of the skinny part of the striker. Conversations with FN customer service and with Apex CS are that the FN 509 should be dry fired sparingly and only with snap caps. This leads me to conclude that while the FN 509 may a be good pistol, it is less than other comparable pistols. I can dry fire my other striker fired pistols such as CZ and Glock without snap caps till the cows come home, with no issues. They go bang every time with live ammo.

I believe that the primary issue is that FN management will not acknowledge that they have an issue and retrofit the design. I blame myself most of all, because I purchased the firearm after I had seen a review of the FN 509 pistol on The Tactical Toolbox. Likewise he had the striker pin break on him.
Dry firing might be (probably is) a contributing factor but it sure isn't the full reason for the striker failures (at least on my personal 509).
My 509T has failed two strikers, one very early in ownership and one after about 2000 rounds.

I don't dryfire that gun, I don't even dry fire for disassembly as I have a special round with a hard rubber primer that I use for the disassembly trigger pull.

After the 2nd failure I installed an Apex striker but that gave me a gritty feeling trigger pull (I did give it 500 rounds but still no better feeling).

So I went back to factory striker #3, maybe FN changed something on the newer strikers as striker #3 has been going strong for the last 4000 rounds without issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Now I’m going to sound like Paul Harrell not that I could ever match his knowledge and wit, “this is the boring part”. I recall a time when I worked for a company that had a three strikes rule for any assembly that came back for repair. It was deemed beyond economic repair, not because of the cost of repair but because of the lost of our reputation. We sold US made products to a very large Japanese company. They were merciless for returning any product that did not meet their stringent high quality standards. They would even return product if the color of the packing foam did not match. They sent us two of their engineers to work with us and likewise we sent one of our engineers to live in Japan for year. As a company we grew by leaps and bounds in regards to designing and building quality products. The president of our company would force all managers to meet early before the work day and stay late. It was a punitive measure as I saw it. Little did I realize that we were being schooled on how to prevent defects and eliminate waste in our manufacturing process. Now to my point. The Taguchi Method of Quality control.

The Taguchi method of quality control is an approach to engineering that emphasizes product design in reducing the occurrence of defects and failures that is more important than the manufacturing process. The Taguchi method measures quality as a calculation of loss to society associated with a product. Think of the wasted time spend of sending the product back. It’s an exponential cost of the actual failed part. There is a cost with the time spent by the consumer, the customer service agent, the shipper, the driver, the additional cost of gas, and oh yes another part that needs to be scrapped and sent to the land fill.

Why is this? IMO, it’s because FNH presents itself as a quality company when they are in fact grossly uninformed as to what quality means. The mere fact that you are now having to send your pistol in for a 3rd time speaks volumes of what FNH executives think of you as a customer. But I hear you and feel your pain.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I put over 11k rounds through my 509 with the original striker. I changed to the Apex one for no other reason than to see what effect it had on trigger feel. Now have about 3k rounds on the Apex striker and it's still a bit grittier than the factory one when it was new. Guess I ended up with peach instead of a lemon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put over 11k rounds through my 509 with the original striker. I changed to the Apex one for no other reason than to see what effect it had on trigger feel. Now have about 3k rounds on the Apex striker and it's still a bit grittier than the factory one when it was new. Guess I ended up with peach instead of a lemon.
Do you dry fire your 509 pistol?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Rarely. Most of my dry fire is on a Glock and a few other pistols. 509 manual says don’t do it so I don’t.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Ramjack-- thanks for sharing. I'm unable to view the attachment, I assume others cannot as well?? I look forward to seeing it though.

Any estimate how much dry firing you had done? For reasons unknown, FN discourages frequent/regular dry firing with the 509 and recommends snap caps. You may or may not have seen this, so I share it from the 509 Owners Manual (re: dry firing) for everyone's benefit:

4. DRY FIRING & “DUMMY” ROUNDS
Dry firing is defined as firing a firearm with no ammunition in the chamber.Occasional dry firing of your FN 509 and for disassembly is acceptable.Regularly dry firing your FN 509 pistol for practice or training may result indamage to the striker. “Snap Caps” (inert chamber inserts that allow afirearm to be dry fired without damaging the firing pin) are commerciallyavailable for those who wish to practice firing without live ammunition.CAUTION: Always keep the muzzle of your firearm pointed in a safedirection, even if you are certain it is unloaded.CAUTION: Store inert ammunition separately from loaded ammunition toavoid unintended firing of the pistol. Failure to follow this warning couldresult in serious injury or death.CAUTION: “Dummy Rounds” with empty primer pockets are suitable forloading/unloading practice and some training activities but do not protectthe striker during dry firing.

Thanks again-- hope to see that pic.
Just a side note, if you are Dry Fire Training with a G-Sight Laser GEN3, these have build in Snap Caps so it shouldn't be an issue. HOWEVER! I did have a striker failure even with that and only 300 rounds downrange with a brand new weapon. It's a bit unnerving to think folks had failures in regular use but I have heard of this happening. RECOMMENDATION. Replace the Factory Striker with an APEX FN-509 Striker BEFORE the failure. They cost $50 USD and are very simple to replace. APEX has videos on YouTube explaining the replacement process. NOTE: Modifying any weapon could void factory warranty.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've dry fired both of my 509Ts daily without and with the Apex striker with no issue. I won't typically dry fire without a snap cap in any of my guns. It's cheap insurance and I use them in training also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've dry fired both of my 509Ts daily without and with the Apex striker with no issue. I won't typically dry fire without a snap cap in any of my guns. It's cheap insurance and I use them in training also.
Agreed. Using the G-Sight system or other Laser Trainers is definitely the way to keep up with training in this day and age.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agreed. Using the G-Sight system or other Laser Trainers is definitely the way to keep up with training in this day and age.
I have been using the G-Sight system and love it. I have run into an issue in which the dimple has grown and now it will not activate the laser. I switched it around to different pistols, but it is still having difficulty with the FN 509 C MRD. Curious if anyone else has run into issues.

241 - 260 of 266 Posts