FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 509 Compact back in September and recently decided to upgrade to the Apex striker just to be on the safe-side. When I disassembled the striker assembly, I noticed that one side of the upright piece on the striker was worn. I only have a few hundred rounds through it, so this made me curious. When I reassembled and was checking for proper operation, I noticed a grittiness when I ran the striker back and forth. I disassembled it again and saw that the open sides of the striker channel were not polished. It looks like Fred Flintstone did the final machining. I double-checked my Glock and CZ and they were, of course, highly polished in this high friction area. Given that striker breakage seems to be a problem, I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I contacted FN Customer Service 3 weeks ago and they asked me to send pictures. Which I did along with a detailed email along with my concern that, even though I'm not an armorer, common sense tells me that those rough surfaces should be polished, otherwise it's like running the polished striker over a file. And, cue the crickets. Nothing from them since despite me sending 2 follow-up emails.

Thoughts?

Registered
Looks like both fn509 and fnx45 have some kind of issues. I am in market for both but have to halt the purchase.馃槗

Registered
I've halted my 509 purchase due to these firing pin issues...plus this...not good...hope they figure this out...it is 100% unacceptable that I need to buy a $60 part that should be 100% functional and safe from the OEM...

Premium Member
I didn't have that particular issue with my 509T. However, while the factory trigger was decent most of the time, occaisionally it would feel gritty. Did some online research and ultimately I found that this is a fairly common occurance. On my gun, there was a small burr on the inside bevel of the striker assembly. Occasionally coils on the striker spring would catch on it, producing that gritty trigger pull. A little bit of metal polish and a drill fixed the problem and made for a much more consistent trigger pull. Ultimately, I bought the APEX striker and trigger/sear set. Now the action is silky smooth and a bit lighter trigger pull.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts