FN Herstal Firearms banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
138 Posts
I have never seen a photo or heard a 1st hand account of a SCAR OEM stock hinge breaking. The Handl hinge seems to be a solution to a non-existent problem. It would be great if you could post some links to the occurrences of the SCAR hinge failure.
I never said that I have personally seen a Scar stock hinge break so there's no need to take my post out of context. If you watch the high speed video on Handl's website (SCAR Stock Hinge | Handl Defense) of how harmonics effects the hinge and ultimately the stock which translates into felt recoil for the shooter you will better understand why they made it. It's more for the direct impacts from the BCG slamming into the interface repeatedly than the actual hinge being a weak point. Also, they specifically state that Socom users have had breakages and they provide a photo for your disbelief.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
I suggest you both calm down. :?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think the point here is that the OEM Scar stock isn't known for breaking at the hinge whereas the ACR stock is. The Handl Hinge replaces the weak link in the Scar stock interface while also reducing felt recoil at the same time. The Kinetic and Stryker ACR stock adapter replaces the OEM Scar stock for those who don't like the way it feels/looks but also introduces a weaker stock at the hinge and a stock that does't lock into place. Both have trade offs, for me the Handl Hinge is a better option because I don't mind the OEM Scar stock but I will say that the ACR stock does look better on the Scar and it has better controls. I plan to run mine while others try out the ACR option and reevaluate it at later date when both have had more mileage.
The Kinetic hinge is made from 6061-T6 Aluminum which I believe is the same thing the Handl reports to use... Also ACR stock stays in place under tension and while it isn't as secure as the way the OEM stock latches, that's not really a deal breaker. Personally I rarely ever fold my stock, occasionally during transport... but I never shoot it folded (non issue for me).

·
Banned
138 Posts
The Kinetic hinge is made from 6061-T6 Aluminum which I believe is the same thing the Handl reports to use... Also ACR stock stays in place under tension and while it isn't as secure as the way the OEM stock latches, that's not really a deal breaker. Personally I rarely ever fold my stock, occasionally during transport... but I never shoot it folded (non issue for me).
Yes, the Kinetic and Stryker kits for the ACR stock will ultimately replace the hinge/mount area with roughly the same part so in theory they should have the same benefits and performance effects as the Handl Hinge while at the same time providing the user with the ability to run the Bushmaster ACR stock as well.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I never said that I have personally seen a Scar stock hinge break so there's no need to take my post out of context. If you watch the high speed video on Handl's website (SCAR Stock Hinge | Handl Defense) of how harmonics effects the hinge and ultimately the stock which translates into felt recoil for the shooter you will better understand why they made it. It's more for the direct impacts from the BCG slamming into the interface repeatedly than the actual hinge being a weak point. Also, they specifically state that Socom users have had breakages and they provide a photo for your disbelief.
tejas,

if if you would like to have a discussion about the evidence presented on handls webpage and the recoil ad, feel free to start another topic.

Reactions: cetane

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Again, for those that obviously fail to read, I have provided you with the manufacturers link to the product that states "their" findings which lead to the products existence.
You believe everything you read on the internet and parrot the same.

The Stryker Enterprises SOBA 1.0 knuckle is manufactured from 7075-T6511, and following your logic, it should reduce felt recoil to a greater degree since it has superior mechanical properties over 6000 series aluminum alloys. Taking it a step further, and demanding felt recoil be reduced to an even greater degree, let's explore the recoil reduction data when manufacturing the hinge of 4140 treated to 28-32Rc.

The FEA models simply do not support your position.

Enjoy your parts on your carbine, and have a nice day.

·
Banned
138 Posts
You believe everything you read on the internet and parrot the same.

The Stryker Enterprises SOBA 1.0 knuckle is manufactured from 7075-T6511, and following your logic, it should reduce felt recoil to a greater degree since it has superior mechanical properties over 6000 series aluminum alloys. Taking it a step further, and demanding felt recoil be reduced to an even greater degree, let's explore the recoil reduction data when manufacturing the hinge of 4140 treated to 28-32Rc.

The FEA models simply do not support your position.

Enjoy your parts on your carbine, and have a nice day.
If you want to get in a metallurgy debate then feel free to take it up via PM. Not sure why you feel the need to discredit another manufacturers product especially one that's quite similar to yours. I never attacked your product or anyone interested in purchasing it, in fact I like the idea but for me personally it isn't relevant since I like the OEM stock. There seems to be trend on this board as of late surrounding this fan boy, Kool-aide of the month manufacturer club and I guess I'm an easy target seeing how I'm not falling in line and singing the praises like others.

Everyone enjoy joy their parts they select for their rifles that we all agree to love and leave the politics, semantics, and "theoretical" science at home.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If you want to get in a metallurgy debate then feel free to take it up via PM. Not sure why you feel the need to discredit another manufacturers product especially one that's quite similar to yours. I never attacked your product or anyone interested in purchasing it, in fact I like the idea but for me personally it isn't relevant since I like the OEM stock. There seems to be trend on this board as of late surrounding this fan boy, Kool-aide of the month manufacturer club and I guess I'm an easy target seeing how I'm not falling in line and singing the praises like others.

Everyone enjoy joy their parts they select for their rifles that we all agree to love and leave the politics, semantics, and "theoretical" science at home.
Tejas,

First off, you are free to start any thread you want. I will say that if you need closely at the videos handl has on his site and on the recoil article. You will be surprised at what you see.

Secondly, Handl has spent the last 3 years discrediting FN with bogus claims of polymer modules failing in massé, then moving on to the FN polymer buttstock hinge FAILING in massé. We get it, you come into a Stryker product thread for one reason, to cause trouble and now that your kool-aid part is shown for what it is, you resort to crying victim of some grand conspiracy. Save it, we’ve seen it before....

Reactions: cetane

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts

For the record, nobody here is trying to discredit another manufacturer.

Our data does not support your position and we disagree with you. All other parameters being constant, while substituting the FN polymer buttlplate hinge with one manufactured of aluminum alloy does not reduce bolt speed at the point of impact with the FN polymer buffer. As a result the recoil energy at the buttplate remains unchanged. If the data supported anything to the contrary, we would certainly take advantage of the findings.

·
Registered
157 Posts
After reading through all this, I actually forgot what the original topic was......

Anyway, I have zero experience with acr weapon system, is there some benefit to the acr stock over the oem or other stocks?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tejasmtb, the thread topic is actually Jim's product. You are the one that extolled the virtues of another manufacturers product, and dismissed the Stryker and Kinetic options. I got the impression Jim was defending FNH as well as his own product, he has no need to discredit Handl, as they have done that themselves by building their business on trying to destroy user confidence in FNH's engineering and manufacture.. Jim is presenting information in a pretty reasonable manner to address points that have been made in this thread.

I have no personal experience with Handl products, but I was interested in a few of them, and when I tried researching them on their web site I was totally turned off by the continual stream of negative copy regarding claimed issues with the SCAR platform and way they make it seem like they are leading a "SCAR Improvement Program" with the implication that it is a govt contract. Frankly, I spent a fair bit of time researching SCARs before I bought them, and I don't particularly like someone telling me they are crap so they can sell me parts to "fix" them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Please share as to how this was determined, as it appears on its face as nothing more than opinion.

The ACR stock does lock into both the deployed and stowed positions.

SE has performed the necessary research on the SCAR weapons systems, as well as receiving the most recent real world feedback from the 2-way range.

FN has addressed the latch button and no further action is required on the latch button.

The FN polymer hinge is not prone to premature failure, and stating otherwise gives FN an underserved black eye.

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but what has FN done to address the latch button? Is it something older owners can get?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Does the ACR stock have a longer cheek piece than the OEM stock? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does the ACR stock have a longer cheek piece than the OEM stock? Does anyone know?
My super rudimentary analysis using two equally-sized powerpoint brackets says they are roughly the same...

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 8.31.44 PM.png

I also want to note that I am super excited for this product and cant wait for it to come to market... :D

·
Banned
138 Posts
Tejas,

First off, you are free to start any thread you want. I will say that if you need closely at the videos handl has on his site and on the recoil article. You will be surprised at what you see.

Secondly, Handl has spent the last 3 years discrediting FN with bogus claims of polymer modules failing in massé, then moving on to the FN polymer buttstock hinge FAILING in massé. We get it, you come into a Stryker product thread for one reason, to cause trouble and now that your kool-aid part is shown for what it is, you resort to crying victim of some grand conspiracy. Save it, we’ve seen it before....
You couldn't be more wrong, but I see it for what it is here in this forum lately and I see very little need to present an alternate view or option in the future since most here discredit anything that doesn't follw suit with the masses and the fanboy clubs. I never tried to stir the pot, I simply offered another option that falls in the same category, I never regarded one as superior to the other either. It appears that my only mistake was not getting down on my knees and praising Stryker Enterprises for their products which everyone here seems to think are the only thing worth buying. Enjoy your product that oddly enough will employ an alloy hinge like the product I pointed out as another option on the market.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts