FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Not the first stuck case I had to deal with but first time broken-broken shell extractor!! I guess I could soak the chamber with CLP and let it sit before trying to tap it from the barrel...

So before I find a local gunsmith, any suggestion on how to deal with this?

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's hard to tell from these pics, what gun is this? I can see the bolt in the top pic, but I cant tell what were looking at in the second pic. Were you shooting factory ammo and is it the case were seeing partially stuck in the chamber?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Lubricate everything you can first and you should not have to much trouble tapping it out from the barrel end. If this happened before you definitely want to inspect the chamber and proximal barrel for any defects. Has the gun been marking other cases that have been ejected?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SCAR 17s. What brand of ammo is that?
Yup, 17S featuring the ever sticky TulAmmo!! Second stuck case in 800 rds... Not worth the hassle!

In the meantime, I was able to remove the broken-broken shell extractor and will order another, beefier one! I'll keep you guys posted!

P.s. Any recommendation on the broken shell extractor?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lubricate everything you can first and you should not have to much trouble tapping it out from the barrel end. If this happened before you definitely want to inspect the chamber and proximal barrel for any defects. Has the gun been marking other cases that have been ejected?
It only happens with TulAmmo and I never noticed any marking in the cases (at least not brass since I save them)...

·
Registered
609 Posts
i use those stripped screw extractors. insert twist just enough to bite the brass tap out with rod from muzzle. this is a last resort when a broken shell extractor doesnt work.

you have to have enough case shoulder and some case body for this to work as you dont want the extractor marring the chamber

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i use those stripped screw extractors. insert twist just enough to bite the brass tap out with rod from muzzle. this is a last resort when a broken shell extractor doesnt work.

you have to have enough case shoulder and some case body for this to work as you dont want the extractor marring the chamber
Learning something new... Would it work on steel case (not brass)?
Care to share a link to the extractor you use?
How could a broken shell extractor mar the chamber?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tulamo like putting economy in a Ferrari my .02c
Yeah, I already answered to similar comment... I don't consider my SCAR to be like a Ferrari, it's a tool and I should have kept the chamber clean.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Put some solvent down the end of the barrel. Let sit for a few minutes. Take a cleaning rod with an old cleaning jag and tap it out. Should come out pretty easy. Good luck!

·
Registered
392 Posts
OP with that kind of ammo (Tula or Wolf if there's a difference) you need to borebath your rifle. Seems like you already know and on the right track hope you get your gear back up and running soon bro!

Here's a video for reference, I did it exactly like this on my s/old AR15 stumbled upon this video and it only solidified that my method was done correctly.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Did you take the barrel off yet?

I wouldn't screw around with it for a second with the barrel still mounted in the receiver. Take it, put it in a vice and see what you can actually do...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Learning something new... Would it work on steel case (not brass)?
Care to share a link to the extractor you use?
How could a broken shell extractor mar the chamber?
similar to these pretty much every hardware store has em.

Yellow Tool Tool accessory Screw extractor Writing implement

broken shell extractor wont hurt the chamber but the stripped screw extractors might if there isnt enough case left.

ive used them on steel 7.62x54r in a mosin and brass 308 in my scar17. i only use them if a shell extractor fails

1 - 20 of 24 Posts