Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Student Who Took Religious Icon Getting Death Threats

Last Edited: Monday, 07 Jul 2008, 11:38 PM EDT
Created: Monday, 07 Jul 2008, 11:36 PM EDT

By Cheryl Getuiza
FOX 35 NEWS

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) --A UCF student claims he’s getting death threats for messing with something sacred.

Webster Cook says he smuggled a Eucharist, a small bread wafer that to Catholics symbolic of the Body of Christ after a priest blesses it, out of mass, didn’t eat it as he was supposed to do, but instead walked with it.

Catholics worldwide became furious.

Webster’s friend, who didn’t want to show his face, said he took the Eucharist, to show him what it meant to Catholics.

Webster gave the wafer back, but the Catholic League, a national watchdog organization for Catholic rights claims that is not enough.

“We don’t know 100% what Mr. Cooks motivation was,” said Susan Fani a spokesperson with the local Catholic diocese. “However, if anything were to qualify as a hate crime, to us this seems like this might be it.”

We just expect the University to take this seriously,” she added “To send a message to not just Mr. Cook but the whole community that this kind of really complete sacrilege will not be tolerated.”

Webster just wants all of this to go away. Especially now that he feels his life is in danger.

University officials said, that as for right now, Webster Cook is not in trouble. If anyone or any group wants to file a formal complaint with the University through the student judicial system, they can.

It that happens, Webster will go through a hearing either in front of an administrative panel or a panel of his peers.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Wow ship, and they say muslims are radical. Death threats over a wafer? Alllllll righty then.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Religious fanatics of any sort are wacko's.

·
Registered
412 Posts
TA you got that right!! :?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was born and raised Catholic. I went to a Catholic grade school. I haven't been to a Catholic church or received communion in about 30 years. I have no intention of ever setting foot again in any Catholic church for as long as I live. Hearing church officials speaking like this makes me want to puke! It would really be nice if they could show some of this outrage when it comes to pedophile priest and nasty nun's!

Besides, now that I am an adult, I wonder why people would want to "eat the body of Christ" anyway??? :evil:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Catholics worldwide became furious.
Wow, I'm Catholic, never heard anything about it. I think this story wreaks of Secular progressive writing trying to make religious people out as crazy people. Probably a news reporter to specifically handles University stories, and we all know how "Conservative" Universities are these days. Just a thought.

Zhur

·
Registered
373 Posts
That is actually at my school. The local Fox channel is notorious for their reporting, its either a murder or the end of the world. I am completely out of the loop when it comes to University news, but I wouldn't put it past anyone here to get worked up. Anytime you pass the Free Speech lawn there is someone trying to save your soul from eternal damnation, usually they are pretty crazy.

I agree with you Zhurdan about the high possibility of biases in reporting. What journalist has heard of objectivity?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
dtheman said:
I agree with you Zhurdan about the high possibility of biases in reporting. What journalist has heard of objectivity?
I think some of the 1950's era TV reporters tried and for the most part succeeded in being objective. Edward Murrow comes to mind. Brinkley, Cronkite, Hunley... maybe they were just as bad as the folks now days, I don't really know, but they definitly had more character. An example of who they really were underneigth showed up well during Apollo 11 and 13. They were Americans and proud of it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I hope everyone caught my sarcasm when I said todays college campus' are conservative... they are the most vile liberal puke spilling cesspools in existance today.

zhur

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Zhurdan said:
I hope everyone caught my sarcasm when I said todays college campus' are conservative... they are the most vile liberal puke spilling cesspools in existance today.

zhur
+1 it makes me sick

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
they are the most vile liberal puke spilling cesspools in existance today.

zhur
[

That being said, why do you think that so many people want to get a degree from these "vile liberal puke spilling cesspools" colleges?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
What other choices do they have for a college education?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
What other choices do they have for a college education?
Exactly. You need that piece of paper. All you really need to do is go jump through the hoops, argue with those puke spilling professors for fun, and then get out of there and enjoy the workplace.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I think that college degrees are worthless. Colleges are full of educated idiots, with the common sence of a worm. The Navy tried to force the chiefs to get college degrees not to long ago, Oh ya, that went over like ass flavored gum. College degrees don't make you a leader.

I think the whole DEGREE concept is flawed. We had tons of Officers in the Navy and Marine Corps that have degrees in History, Phys-ed, Art, and Underwater basket weaving(Joking) as Line officers. A degree in anything other than one in WARFARE does not make you qualified to be a line Officer? That degree is found in the Enlisted ranks. Officers should come from the enlisted ranks that have proven themselves as being leaders.
The same goes for civilian jobs, bosses in the corparate world should be from the working ranks. Advance those that truely know the business. Bring in these silverspooned, world economy, pukes is what gets the american companies into trouble.

Rant over.

·
Registered
408 Posts
@ DevilDoc

I agree that degree's are overrated and basically a piece of toilet paper that should be used to wipe up the puke from those establishments. Unfortunately, some kids out there are not, nor have been in the military and have not been on the receiving end of some actual in your face leadership.

I for one think that the college experience is more important from the standpoint that you have to budget your money (for many folks, for the very first time), you have to pay bills (again a first for many), you have to assign priority to things like party vs study, and so on. I for one learned more from the time I spent at University than I did in class.

That being said, I receive PLENTY of leadership growing up from my father. I won't get into the sad state of affairs when it comes to the family unit and how it's decay has long lasting effects on society as a whole. Overall, I never got an allowance, if I wanted something from age 8 on, I worked for it. I had one hell of a paper route and lawn mowing business in the summers and snow removal in the winters. I learned alot from those experiences whereas people my same age were handed every shiney new toy they wanted with no work involved. They continue to fail at life, even with their bought and paid for by mommy degree's.

College is a foot in the door for most jobs, just as military experience is for other jobs. Same principle, different means.

Zhur

1 - 19 of 19 Posts