FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spent some time today at my range shooting 8 inch steel at 225, and paper plates at 25/50/75/100...

after 40 rounds of paper plates i take off the red dot/magnifier combo and pop on the vortex 2-7, it was hot and stickey in the shooter station under the roof so i took off my ear protection and glasses went to the car and got a face towel to wipe off my face and have a soda and a smoke. finish the smoke and pop in a fresh mag, chamber a round crank the vortex up to 7 and find the 6 inch steel in the crosshair.... squeeze the bang button....thats when the stupid came...

i had put on my glasses but not my :hearingprotection:.....

HOLY CRAP !!! immediate pain and ringing in both ears.... but especially the left ear...

next i cleared the scar and kicked myself till the ringing stopped... i finished that mag out, but my motivation had went out the window at that point.

the PSA part of this is for everyone to please remember to put on hearing protection :?

·
Premium Member
9,508 Posts
I've done it...once. I was at an indoor range about 15 years ago. It was a weekday morning and had the place to myself. Went through three mags in my 1911. Locked back the slide, loaded up three more mags and BOOM. It was hot and my muffs were around my neck. I can only imagine the 17 in the same situation.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
WHAT? WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY!?! Yep, been there done that ONCE before, it can be rather unpleasant, it does however offer a reminder for future range skirmishes. Hopefully the ringing will stop and no permanent damage has occurred. ALWAYS CHECK FOR "EYES AND EARS" BEFORE EVER SHOOTING A FIREARM AND THAT GOES FOR THOSE AROUND YOU AS WELL!!!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I've started doubling up. Foamy in ears and muffs over the top. When wearing eye protection there is always a little leak around the stems so you don't really get the full advertised db reduction. Plus it allows you to slip the muffs off to wipe the sweat or readjust them on the firing line without stepping away. And if you forget to put the muffs back on, you still have some pretty good protection.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Doubling up is what I do for the exact reasons mentioned here. I use Surefire EarPro as my first line of defense with quality earmuffs on top of them. I chose the bright orange EarPro's so no RSO would freak out when I too removed the earmuffs to wipe the sweat from my brow. Always best to have redundancy when it comes to safety, not sure how two pairs of shooting/safety glasses would work out so I just use Oakley's.

I've started doubling up. Foamy in ears and muffs over the top. When wearing eye protection there is always a little leak around the stems so you don't really get the full advertised db reduction. Plus it allows you to slip the muffs off to wipe the sweat or readjust them on the firing line without stepping away. And if you forget to put the muffs back on, you still have some pretty good protection.

Reactions: Spilz

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Yes Sir, Tinnitus is not uncommon for us shooters and even scuba divers too. Prolonged exposure to pressure (sound) waves can lead to permanent damage or hearing loss, unfortunately I suffer from both not just complete yet although one day I'm sure I'll lose hearing in my right ear since it's currently the worst.

I did the same thing about 6 years ago! Now I have a slight constant ringing in my left ear still.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I always wonder how infantry can be in these fire fights and still hear and communicate with one another. It's gotta be pretty damn difficult even if you have electronic muffs on.

Or, being on patrol and having to listen for the enemy. How well can you listen with hearing protection on? How often are they patrolling with out ears and then suddenly SHTF and they have to engage.

Being a "civi" I would really like to know how they work through these obstacles.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
That's gotta be like going to a Van Halen concert and not wearing ear plugs.... Never again, my ears rang for two days........:oops:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I always wonder how infantry can be in these fire fights and still hear and communicate with one another. It's gotta be pretty damn difficult even if you have electronic muffs on.

Or, being on patrol and having to listen for the enemy. How well can you listen with hearing protection on? How often are they patrolling with out ears and then suddenly SHTF and they have to engage.

Being a "civi" I would really like to know how they work through these obstacles.
I would imagine that they can use any number of electronic noise cancelation technologies that lets normal sound levels in and blocks very loud sounds. Civies can already buy cheap and effective electronic ear protection (e.g. Howard Leight earmuffs), just think what the military can get its hands on. Set your gear to cancel anything 85 decibels and above and you'll be gtg.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Me too, both Scuba and early on not using ears consistently especially when hunting. Word to the wise when hunting invest in some of the electronic muffs to hear and still have your hearing protected.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
They way we use to do it was by hand signals and being so attuned to what each other was suppose to be doing and when negates the need for a great deal of communication. You train, live and work with folks similar to Firefighters and you begin to almost read each other's mind and finish each other's sentences. Back in the mid-80's we didn't have what is available now but we made do and endeavored to persevere and that we did. It is what separates the US Military from virtually all others, we ARE brother's in arms, although we may fight and bicker with each other as brothers will do but when the time comes we look after each other VERY closely.

That's gotta be like going to a Van Halen concert and not wearing ear plugs.... Never again, my ears rang for two days........:oops:
I would imagine that they can use any number of electronic noise cancelation technologies that lets normal sound levels in and blocks very loud sounds. Civies can already buy cheap and effective electronic ear protection (e.g. Howard Leight earmuffs), just think what the military can get its hands on. Set your gear to cancel anything 85 decibels and above and you'll be gtg.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Don't feel so bad man. Once my dumbass fired my 8" Saiga 12ga without hearing protection purposely to see how bad it would be. It took three weeks for the ringing to stop. :oops:

Reactions: Macprowler and Vec
1 - 20 of 51 Posts