FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Black SCAR 17s and have been adding a couple of different accessories to it, to make it have a personal touch, but is it possible to purchase an optic that is overkill for the 17s? I have been looking around for the last couple of months and have always come back to the Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm and the Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50. Ill mainly be shooting 300 yards with the scope, but have an 45 degree offset RMR for CQB? What do ya'll suggest for this situation? :x

·
Registered
983 Posts
overkill is what you say it is, not what the internet tells you

personally i stopped with a 10x scope on my 17s, and put the F1 15x scope on a bolt gun, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone with that leupy on a 17s if that's what they wanted

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
If they made a 40x in a 24-32mm bell I'd buy it! :-D

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
That's a lot of glass for the carbine. Unless you're always shooting from a supported (bipod, bench, etc) position, I would seriously think about something with less than 6.5X as a starting magnification.

-SS

·
Registered
983 Posts
I actually liked my F1 nightforce on the 17s... but it was longer than the entire upper and it didn't help me shoot any better.

It's in the back on this picture:

Now I am back to the Leupold Mk4 3.5-10 on the 17s, and I think it's the right amount of optic for me on that rifle. If my eyes were a little better or I was younger, I'm sure something like a 1-6 would be perfect.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I run a 2.5-10 but honestly I take my scope off a lot because it gets heavy moving with 2-3lbs of gear attached.

Reactions: Ferris2son

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
If the OP will forgive me for a brief hijack of his thread, I have to ask SilentRecon who did that great digicamo job for you and what did it run?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I put the IOR Eliminator 1-10x on mine, and thats about all youll need if your using it for such. best of all worlds. here are a few pics of mine.

That looks awesome by the way.

Sent from my EvoLTE so please pardon any typos

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
It really comes down to your intended purpose of your SCAR. Is it just a range toy where you will be regularly shooting at distances of 400m+? Do you intend to take it elk hunting? Or is this going to be your SHTF weapon? If the latter is your intent, then do you really expect to engage targets in excess of 400m if you are in a defensive mode? The 17 was designed to be a light weight battle rifle. It seems counter productive to be hanging big heavy pieces of glass on it that will require you to shoot from a supported position like Sarge said. Unless you are in an offensive posture and are assigned over-watch, anything beyond 6x - 8x seems excessive to me. But hey its your rifle, hang something that will let you peruse the Moon looking for the Alpine Valley Rille at night and get double duty out of your selection if it suits you.:?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Buy an extra upper from Sarge with the 20" barrel when he gets them and put the big glass on that. Then sbr your upper and but the 13" barrel from Sarge and you will have a bad ass rifle for up close. See problem solved (except the money part :D).

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
While a 13" barrel on a 17 looks cool it has very limited uses and a 10" on a 17 that's about as useless as tits on a boar hog. As you go under 16" on a .308 you seriously start to hinder the rounds effectiveness, unless you plan on just using it to clear buildings or just want to put on a fire and light show.

Barrel length along with many other things in life, shorter is not always better.

Reactions: Ferris2son

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
While a 13" barrel on a 17 looks cool it has very limited uses
That's not true at all. I have a good friend with a 13" barrel on a 308 and hits steel at 800 yard all day long. Granted it's not a SCAR 17 barrel. I thought the gereral opinion here was that the 17 was meant to use up close. Out to maybe 500 yards max.

This is from the FN website "The SCAR[SUP]®[/SUP]-H CQC assault rifle is chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO caliber and is fitted with a short 13" barrel for close quarter combat."

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I didn't say you couldn't hit something out at distance, but having enough energy to do what needs to be done is another story. I now of a couple guys who can punch paper with a 10.5 5.56 AR out to 500yds.

A 13" barreled .308 has limited use, believe it or don't, still doesn't change the facts that the shorter you go the less energy you will have to get the job done unless all you care about is hitting steel or putting holes in paper.

·
Registered
710 Posts
That's not true at all. I have a good friend with a 13" barrel on a 308 and hits steel at 800 yard all day long. Granted it's not a SCAR 17 barrel. I thought the gereral opinion here was that the 17 was meant to use up close. Out to maybe 500 yards max.

This is from the FN website "The SCAR[SUP]®[/SUP]-H CQC assault rifle is chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO caliber and is fitted with a short 13" barrel for close quarter combat."
I'll be agreeing with Patton, while I have not shot my POF-14.5 .308 I have seen videos of guys hitting a good group at 400 with theirs.

I myself plan on replicating the SSR SCAR and using a Nightforce scope on it. I've got a beetchin Nightforce for my .338Lapua, only seems fare my mini-me has a nice scope too.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I didn't say you couldn't hit something out at distance, but having enough energy to do what needs to be done is another story. I now of a couple guys who can punch paper with a 10.5 5.56 AR out to 500yds.

A 13" barreled .308 has limited use, believe it or don't, still doesn't change the facts that the shorter you go the less energy you will have to get the job done unless all you care about is hitting steel or putting holes in paper.
I don't understand. Are you saying that a 308 bullet shot from a 13" barrel won't penetrate the human body and kill at 800 yards?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts