FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever been to a horrible, terrible, worthless gun show where you were sorry you had to pay the entrance fee?

Tell us about it :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yep, and thats why I haven't been to one in 3+ years.

The ones I've been to around here are pretty small and either 70% knifes or all local/regional gun dealers with store prices on everything and not willing to haggle.

Last two times I went, I left with nothing except for a blank spot in my wallet where $8 use to be.

Luckily I've found a small shop that I get decent deals at plus can transfer auction purchases to.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The one's around here seem to be taken over by those damn airsoft guns and knives..

Few years ago.. it was one place and now theres about 15 just selling airsoft and holsters and all the good deals seem to be gone.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here - the ones in Houston are good.

However, there is a local one held maybe 2-3 times a year.

I went about 2years ago. It was the same price as the big ones in Houston. I literally made the rounds and left in about 2 minutes. It was crap.

There was more junk/antiques - and even then, the room was small. And, I saw 3 handguns in the entire place - all were used. Good god, it was crap!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Went to one earlier this year that was supposed to be one of the best ever in the area...man I hope it wasn't. Very few guns, lots of trinket type crap, not much ammo and a lot of really stupid people spouting BS. Not only was I disappointed, but somewhat embarrassed because I had drug along a coworker who is on the fence about owning a gun hoping to show him a nice cross section of gun owners rather than the near total redneck majority that was there.

The only redeeming thing about that show is I did find a handful of Brown Bear 7.62x54R cheap for my M44.

A

·
0 Posts
Phelan said:
Went to one earlier this year that was supposed to be one of the best ever in the area...man I hope it wasn't. Very few guns, lots of trinket type crap, not much ammo and a lot of really stupid people spouting BS. Not only was I disappointed, but somewhat embarrassed because I had drug along a coworker who is on the fence about owning a gun hoping to show him a nice cross section of gun owners rather than the near total redneck majority that was there.

The only redeeming thing about that show is I did find a handful of Brown Bear 7.62x54R cheap for my M44.
That sucks.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I went to gun show Saturday on the East side of Houston. My main reason for going was to meet some other folks that were going. While I was there I also wanted to see how an FNP9 fit my hand.

There were a lot of tables and hundreds of people. The place was jam packed, and the prices were sky high. I found a FNP9 and they wanted 550 bucks for it! I liked the way it felt so I will probably buy one now when I find a good deal.

As far as the gunshow? Prices too high, too crowded, too much room taken up by vendors selling stuffed animals and wind chimes. It felt more like a flea market than a gun show at times.

TA

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Texas Armadillo said:
I went to gun show Saturday on the East side of Houston. My main reason for going was to meet some other folks that were going. While I was there I also wanted to see how an FNP9 fit my hand.

There were a lot of tables and hundreds of people. The place was jam packed, and the prices were sky high. I found a FNP9 and they wanted 550 bucks for it! I liked the way it felt so I will probably buy one now when I find a good deal.

As far as the gunshow? Prices too high, too crowded, too much room taken up by vendors selling stuffed animals and wind chimes. It felt more like a flea market than a gun show at times.

TA
I've been to the Pasadena show and a few others in the Houston area - the Reliant show and the George Brown Conv Center show are the only 2 decent ones in the Houston area worth attending.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
It had been a while since I had been to the Pasadena show... Now I remember why. :(

TA

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Texas Armadillo said:
It had been a while since I had been to the Pasadena show... Now I remember why. :(

TA
I went in 2005 and sold a gun there - otherwise it was not good.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Buddy of mine and I went to one and, in 30 minutes (yes 30 minutes) went around 3x! Very disappointed and will never return.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was in upstate NY a few years ago to see some concerts and next door to the hotel I was in there was a gun show. I paid $14 entrance, $7 each for my wife and I. It was he most BORING WORTHLESS show I've ever been to. Some old beat up rifles and only one table had handguns. The majority was trinkets and old Nazi memorabilia.

Take my advice, never waste your time going to a NY gun show.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here is a report I wrote on a Houston Jerky Show a few month ago:

Went to the Beef Jerky Show in Houston at the George R Brown center today in order to stock up while prices are still good. I talked to many of the dealers, and they too were concerned about the rise in beef jerky prices. There is no shortage yet, but with China buying up our spare beef and spices, plus the war in Iraq requiring massive amounts of Slim Jims for the troops, there may be problems next year. Plus, if the Democrats win, I suspect vegetarian legislation. California already has laws that only permit tofu jerky. Other states have similar hand food legislation.

The HPD was checking everyone entering the show, probably because someone a few shows ago snuck in some bad jerky and got food poisoning.

A lot of people walking around with sausages slung over their shoulders, trying to sell their meat.
Russian surplus jerky in spam cans is getting harder to find.
I don’t understand the fascination with all the black jerky. You can’t eat it, so it must not be good for anything. I don’t care if it makes a good weapon to hit a home intruder, jerky is only made for eating.
More people are interested in making their own jerky to save money.
Military surplus jerky is getting popular. Saw some jerky from “Jonathan’s Jerkys” that claimed to be German war meat recently discovered. Looks like Russian capture beef that they cleaned up and oiled. Their claim of having “matching spices” is in truth spices they added, not original German.

Lastly, I also noticed that there were more than a few gun related booths at the Jerky show. Personally, I go to the show for beef, and don’t like people constantly asking me to test fire their weapons!

Stay away from the Brisket Master jerky too. I did try their M4 Bovine, but I didn’t like the direct gas impingement it gave me the next day. It blew my rings out!

Oh, and what about that guy selling concealed jerky holsters that ride over your crotch and have a little fake pager? Who the hell even owns a real pager these days? I guess if you need more meat between your legs, it is a good thing…

Oh, and that one guy is still selling those over hyped LeMoo “blended meat technology” wieners. What he doesn’t say is that they simply use Vienna Sausages and call it their own…

I am thinking about cutting down some of my 16” jerky to 10.5” since it is easier to eat around the house or while driving. I just can’t get myself to send in the $200 fee to the USDA for the SBR (sliced bovine recipe)

On the way home, I stopped by a butcher shop to check out their jerky prices, high as usual. They kicked me out of the shop when I told a customer that jerky was cheaper on Beefbroker.com.

Ok, can someone explain how SURPLUS jerky that was made YEARS AGO is somehow going up in price as well. There is a cow shortage now, not back when this stuff was made. It has been sitting in some friggen smoke house outside Minsk, not on the shipping docks at Browncows...

Anyone try to eat that Chinese jerky that was banned years ago? The stuff with the steer core that the Government said will go right through a policeman's intestines?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Me and a buddy of mine went to a gun show, walked around 2x, there about 30 minutes and an entrance fee of $7.00. :cry:

Never go back! :?

Tony

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Hahaha! That was funny Ninja, thanx! :-D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts