FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BHP that I bought back in 1988 that is in need of refinishing, the bluing has wore off the back strap and all around the trigger guard so I would like to get it done before any corrosion sets in. I also plan on having a set of Novak Bar/Dot Tritium night sights installed and may get their home defense package as well (a treat to myself). Anyway, I would like to refinish with something that first and foremost is proven to be tough as nails, then to a lesser extent is attractive to the eye.

What say you?
:arrow:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Ion bond or hard chrome is the toughest against wear. Hard chrome is almost holster wear proof. It takes years to start to wear on it.

NP3 is the best rust resistance. You have to decide which way ya wanna go....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iwannausername said:
Duracoat it...
No thanks, as I said I want something that is tough as nails. If I were inclined to go the rattle can type route products like Alumahyde II or even plain old Krylon are far more durable and about 1/10th the cost of Duracoat. Not trying to rip them up but the product just does not stand up to hard use nor do they offer any kind of real warranty. If one has a little used weapon with a good tough base finish and you want something to dress it up some then Duracoat it, otherwise IMO I would stay away.

Frankly I'm most torn and likely to go with one of the two you mentioned Shipwreck, NP3 or a hard chrome. I like the corrosion resistance, lubrication/cleaning properties, durability and lifetime warranty of the NP3, but hard chrome is about as tough as one can get (although it still rusts) and a high polish bright chrome or bright black chrome BHP would be one sexy lady. Practical or sexy.... such decisions....

I've also thought about having both my PS90 & Fiveseven NP3'd but the BHP comes first.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Yea, hard chrome is somewhat rust resistant, but not great - the downside.

One of the reasons I decided to get a new carry gun was that I wanted one with a larger grip, but one I can carry IWB in the summer and not worry about rust. And, most of my slides are hard chromed.

I typically carried smaller guns OWB in a leather holster - so they never got wet in the summer anyway.

But, I don't wanna mess up the hard chrome finish with rust - so, I bought a stock USPc 45 - and the stock finish on the slide should be better than an all stainless slide too.

But, NP3 is the best for rust. If I ever do get a rust issue on this HK slide, I'm just gonna get it NP3'd.

MY issue with hard chrome is that I haven't found a place that does it that I am 100% satisfied with. Tripp Research did a few of mine - but I can't say they didn't make some minor mistakes in a couple of spots on every slide. And, I just tried Makohski's (spelling?) on my FNP9 - and I don't think I'd ever use them again either.

·
Registered
174 Posts
my UZI is NP3'd - pretty amazing stuff. Just compare the np3 barrel to any of my spares after a while and it's night and day, regardless of the color factor. Needs less lubrication too, so attracts less crud, and makes cleanup that much easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts