FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have my USPc in 45 very soon (I already have a 9mm one), and this will be my new carry gun.

Anyway - I've decided to order a supertuck.

However, is the horsehide variation really that much better? It is hot here in Texas, but what does the horsehide variation do that the plain version of the holster doesn't?

I actually prefer the all black look. But, it is damn hot here in TX. I have not carried IWB for many years - since I dictched carrying a Glock. I'm getting the HK so I need not baby the gun in the summer time.

So, I will be using the holster in the summer. Is the horsehide that much better?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Got a link to the site ship? My IWB holsters have a velvetish lining and its rather nice for me. It gets hot here, but total different story in your neck of the woods

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Ahh yea I was eyeballing these products. If you order one, I expect a report on it! :p

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iCeMaN said:
Ahh yea I was eyeballing these products. If you order one, I expect a report on it! :p
Well, I will get 1 of these holsters for sure - just deciding on which type of leather. And, as I can only shoot 1 handed right now - I may wait on the holster until I can take the gun out 2 handed. We'll see.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
One holster I like to use in the summer time was just a run of the mil uncle mikes IWB. The fabric on the outside is very soft and comfortable and its only like 15 bucks so it doesnt matter if it gets worn out quickly.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iCeMaN said:
One holster I like to use in the summer time was just a run of the mil uncle mikes IWB. The fabric on the outside is very soft and comfortable and its only like 15 bucks so it doesnt matter if it gets worn out quickly.
I have used those for years, and have a couple from the 1990s. But, I never felt like the gun was super secure when I went that route. I wanna give this a try.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I had that feeling at first but it has gained my trust. Let me know how you like the holster though

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. SOmeone here was telling me about a cheaper IWB Bianchi holster. But it attaches in the same way as the uncle mike's.

Back when I used to use that Uncle Mike's holster, I was constantly re-adjusting it - especially when I had to bend down and then stand back up.

So, I figured I'd try this. I'll let ya know.

the folks at the defensive carry forum have been answering my question about the two different types of leather...

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have had both an Uncle Mike's IWB and a Bianchi IWB for my cheap little .38spl. While I never had any real complaints about the Uncle Mike's, in fact I thought it was perfect for my application... the clip on the Bianchi is very secure, and overall I think it's a decent holster for the price. I refuse to buy expensive holsters for that gun.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Ok. SOmeone here was telling me about a cheaper IWB Bianchi holster. But it attaches in the same way as the uncle mike's.

Back when I used to use that Uncle Mike's holster, I was constantly re-adjusting it - especially when I had to bend down and then stand back up.

So, I figured I'd try this. I'll let ya know.

the folks at the defensive carry forum have been answering my question about the two different types of leather...
Yeah, yeah, yeah,I've seen those cheap ass Uncle Mike's IWB holster's and the Bianchi is a 100X better. Have you even TRIED the one I mentioned???

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, not yet. Other than SOB carry of a Glock 26 in the Uncle Mike's holster, I have not carried much IWB. I prefer a leather OWB belt holster like the Galco FLETCH. However, as I will be getting a USPc45 to carry conceal - the gun is bigger.

To me, OWB is more comfortable, but this gun is pretty large.

I do have an UncleMike's I will try again with this USPc to see if I even want to pursue IWB. If I do, I'll probably go with the SUpertuck for now. I have read so many positive comments about it on numerous forums.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I have the horsehide one and have never tried the basic. Here in Michigan, it get's hot (not as bad as there) and very humid. The leather does fine with sweat and to me, it seems to mold better to my body when it's hot out. You might also want to get saddle soap or something to soften it up a bit and to help prevent squeaking.

I have the velcro loops for it with the backing for a belt, but have never tried it and probably never will, but those would be good if you tuck your shirt in. The snap locks have fairly sharp edges, so I filed them a touch to keep them from scratching my leather belt. They also fit perfectly with a 1.5" belt.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I plan on getting a SuperTuck for the FNP-45 I just bought, but only because of the comfort. The Bianchi I have for my .38 is secure, but not the most comfortable thing I've worn.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Not sure about the horsehide vs regular leather comparison. I have the regular cowhide supertuck and it seems fine to me, although I haven't utilized it in super hot weather yet. The kydex holster part can be heated to adjust how tight or loose you want the holster to retain your firearm. They come with instructions on how to do this. Mine fit perfect for my tastes from the get go. One thing to consider for hot weather is natural vs black color. You might get some bleed if you go the black route.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I've got the black leather, and haven't had any problems with it, I but I would imagine that you might if it was totally soaked in sweat. It is not died on the inner side, only the outer side away from the skin. The black leather also tends to show a little gouging and scratching where my de-cock lever pushes into it, but that's to be expected and it doesn't bother me. If I wanted to I could touch it up with some dye.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
B52U said:
I've got the black leather, and haven't had any problems with it, I but I would imagine that you might if it was totally soaked in sweat. It is not died on the inner side, only the outer side away from the skin. The black leather also tends to show a little gouging and scratching where my de-cock lever pushes into it, but that's to be expected and it doesn't bother me. If I wanted to I could touch it up with some dye.
Mine shows wear marks too. It's not supposed to looke pretty. It's supposed to function well. Also, considering it's supposed to be concealed, you shouldn't be looking at it too often :lol:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
^ this is true although my IWB holsters have stretch marks due to my massive spare tires :oops:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
iCeMaN said:
^ this is true although my IWB holsters have stretch marks due to my massive spare tires :oops:
If that was REALLY U in that pic U posted early, you are not big at all.

As for the holster - people at defensive carry tell me I should not have any bleeding issues from the black. So, that's what I will get after I get that Hk in by the end of the week hopefully.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts