FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my dilemma:

I just got a Five-seveN. Love it. It is now my nightstand gun. I also have a Glock 23 (medium frame .40 S&W). I love it too.

I've been jonesing to suppress something for a long time. My local shooting range is doing class 3 now, so I don't have to find a dealer 2 hours away. They are selling YHM and AAC suppressors.

I plan on shooting SS195LF in the Five-seveN so I don't know how much a suppressor helps there. From what I've read the Jarvis Five-seveN barrels are questionable. Is that still the case? I don't think I want to go with having my stock barrel extended and threaded.

I like the idea of getting a .22 caliber can so I can use it with my other firearms though I will need a 10-1 to 1/2-28 thread adapter.

I think .40 would be an excellent caliber to suppress. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 180 grain loadings are mostly subsonic.

Which would you suppress and why? (I know, both!) I don't want to have a painful experience with my Five-seveN and regret this.

For extra credit, what is the best way to register the suppressor, individual, corporation, or trust? I'm single and live in Georgia if that matters. Getting a sheriff to sign off should not be a problem.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
12,073 Posts
The choice is really yours and yours alone.

I have the Jarvis barrel for my FiveseveN, bought second hand, after Jarvis repaired it when the weld cracked. It is a fine barrel and if you can get one I would do it that way instead of the barrel lengthening route. Figure $300 for the barrel, $500 for the supressor, $200 for the ATF tax stamp. Aside from the one batch of barrels that there were problems with, I do not know of any other problems that have arisen with Jarvis.

The supressor for a FiveseveN needs to be relatively light in weight or else the firearm will not function properly so you should count on the supressor only working with the FiveseveN or other .224 pistol (providing you can get the proper adaptor to switch the M10X1 to whatever threading you need). I was not aware of the weight issue until I spoke with three different class III dealers who explained that my AAC supressor would not work with my FiveseveN as it was too heavy.

Shooting SS195LF (which is supersonic) and using a supressor will only eliminate the powder bang but not the supersonic crack. You will need to get subsonic ammo to get the full effect of the supressor for the FiveseveN.

You are correct that the .40 180g loads are subsonic, but hot loads can become supersonic.

My HK SD9 has a AAC supressor married to it. I can use it on my Short Barreled PS90, but it is too heavy for the FiveseveN. You can always use the .40 supressor on any firearm of a smaller caliber but not the reverse.

If your CLEO will sign the Form 1 and you do not mind the 2 to 6 month wait for ATF approval, this is the easiest way to go, followed by the Trust, then a Corporation. I say this because the Corp will cost money every year, the Trust will not cost annually but requires additional tax paperwork to be filed annually (I believe). I pay $100 a year to keep my LLC alive but it is also my buisness so it is really a wash for me. The benefit here with a Corp is that ALL of the Corporation officers are allowed to posses and use the supressor, not just me. So if my son wants to use my HK or SBR with the supressor, he can do so without me because he is identified as an officer of the company. You can also have as many officers named as you want and the rule still applies to all officers of the Corporation.

Again, it is personal preference. If you plan on shooting ONLY factory ammo in the FiveseveN, supress the .40 calibre. If you are willing to use aftermarket subsonic ammo, or reload your own, then supress the FiveseveN for the full effect.

This is just my opinion, others opinions will vary. Its all personal preference.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does a trust allow for multiple users? If yes, do they have to be related to you somehow? All of my family is in California unfortunately.

Would a suppressor muffle SS195LF enough to where you didn't have to wear hearing protection? Going subsonic seems to defeat the purpose of the 5.7x28.

Here is a video on YouTube of a suppressed Five-seveN shooting SS197SR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAQkH6cJoB4

It is hard to tell how loud that really is from the video. He has another video where he is having to hand cycle the gun when using Elite subsonic ammo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg_C7JjsHEc

·
Administrator
12,073 Posts
SunsetSam said:
Does a trust allow for multiple users? If yes, do they have to be related to you somehow? All of my family is in California unfortunately.

Would a suppressor muffle SS195LF enough to where you didn't have to wear hearing protection? Going subsonic seems to defeat the purpose of the 5.7x28.

Here is a video on YouTube of a suppressed Five-seveN shooting SS197SR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAQkH6cJoB4

It is hard to tell how loud that really is from the video. He has another video where he is having to hand cycle the gun when using Elite subsonic ammo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg_C7JjsHEc
I can not answer your question about the Trust. Someone who is more familiar with it than I am will chime in and get you your answer on this. On the LLC side, the officers of the LLC (Corp) do not have to be family members. Just someone that I (as Managing Officer) elevate to a position within the corporation as identified in the filing paperwork. These individuals can be dropped or added at will just a long as compliance with state law is maintained. It also does not matter where my family is located. The principle here is WHERE the supressor or SBR is used and if your state allows it.

There is good information here: http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

Hearing is such a fragile thing. I lost most of mine due to sheer ignorance and total disregard - that and many years in the military exposed to loud (bang bang bang) noises. It is my understanding that 'prolonged' exposure to noise of around 68dB or greater can cause hearing damage. Be safe and use hearing protection at all times. I personally would not go without hearing protection unless both the powder bang and the supersonic crack are supressed. If you fire at a range with a totally supressed firearm and have no hearing protection and other people are firing unsupressed firearms, their gunshots will damage your hearing if you are not protected.

Subsonic does defeat the purpose of the FiveseveN unless you are in some type of tactical situation where supression is required (again, personal preference and others may disagree). This is a different ball game and as someone on this forum once pointed out, he used a supressor solely for flash supression and not sound supression so this did no negate the ballistics performance of the 5.7 cartridge.

I have never used Elite Subsonic but did see the video of the cycling problems it caused. I believe that Elite has since corrected this. Shoot an email to them about this if you have questions.

The fact remains that the only 5.7 platform that FN has set up for supressesion at this time is the P90. This speaks volumes by itself.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks HK SD9.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine suppressed SS195LF would sound like an unsuppressed rimfire. If so, then additonal hearing protection would be a must. In my younger days I fired my .22 sans protection, but I'm smarter than that now.

I'll have to take my Five-seveN and .22 pistol to the range and see if that would be enough sound reduction to warrant the expense.

I just realized last night that I would also have to re-sight my .40 to be able to see the sights above the suppressor. There goes at least another $100 :( Let's see, for the .40 that would be $800 for the AAC Evolution 40, $220 for the Jarvis threaded barrel, $100 for the sights, $200 for the tax stamp, and ? for the dealer fees :?:

Has anyone used the AAC can on their Five-seveN and did it have problems cycling? Information is scarce, but I haven't read of anyone having problems with their Five-seveN cycling with the AAC suppressor. MSW (maker of the PS90 Trijicon mount) had bullet strikes with his AAC, but that is the only problem I've heard of.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
SS195 is pretty quiet with my SWR Spectre. It still gets the sonic crack but the muzzle report is virtually gone on my PS90. Elite's QuieTOR is even more impressive! I don't know anyone as of yet where I can try the supp on a Five-seveN. And I'd always use hearing protection at a range no matter the circumstances.

5rnds SS195/5 rnds QuieTOR/5 rnds SS195 shot by a buddy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XS3kiOhyMw
Sorry for the crappy video, only had my cell on me at the time.

The Spectre is also designed for .22lr. It works GREAT on my Walther P22

I have a glock 23 but I'm getting a conversion barrel to shoot 9mm out of it along with a Trident9 supp. I just don't think supressed .40 is practical, maybe it's just in my head but that's what I think.

As for your trust question, so long as it is ALWAYS with you others can shoot it. It must be in your possession at all times, no lending it out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great vid acmeraptor. Those subsonics are quiet!

Do you know where you'd get a 1/2-28 to 10-1 thread adapter for putting your Spectre on a Five-seveN? I imagine your Spectre uses a 1/2-28 thread.

OK, I know, I know, wear hearing protection at the range. I'm not THAT crazy :?: The only time I'd go without would be if everyone was shooting suppressed.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yea it's threaded for 1/2 x 28. I have no idea about any adapter, I had thought the Jarvis barrel was threaded that way.

·
Administrator
12,073 Posts
TROS USA will build an adaptor to go from M10X1 to 1/2 X 28 TPI.

I also believe that hidesertdog will do it. I have used hidesertdog in the past (he did the barrel work for my PS90 SBR and I was very happy with his work). He is also a forum sponsor.

Support forum sponsors.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
acmeraptor, does the Spectre come with some sort of adapter for the Five-seveN?

I'm liking the Spectre since it comes apart, is stainless steel, and can be used on rimfire guns too.

How do you clean your Spectre? Do you use it on any rimfire guns? From what I've read on silencertalk.com it sounds like the best way to really clean it is to take it apart and bead blast or tumble the baffles. Using peroxide and vinegar sounds slow and messy.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
SunsetSam said:
acmeraptor, does the Spectre come with some sort of adapter for the Five-seveN?
The only thing the Spectre comes with is an end cap removal tool. The SWR website says they offer a 5.7mm mount and the manual makes a reference to "the M10 mount for the 5.7 pistol". I believe that it would have to be used on a Jarvis barrel though.

SunsetSam said:
How do you clean your Spectre? Do you use it on any rimfire guns? From what I've read on silencertalk.com it sounds like the best way to really clean it is to take it apart and bead blast or tumble the baffles. Using peroxide and vinegar sounds slow and messy.
I have used the peroxide/vinegar mix once. I let everything soak for about 24 hours and just wiped them down with paper towels. It was pretty easy but I am considering the other options since that can be toxic. Fortunately most of what I shot was SS195 so there should have been very little lead in there at the time.

And yes, I have a Walther P22 that it works great on!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The spec sheet pdf for the Spectre on the SWR website mentions a 5.7mm mount for $60.

I'm thinking I'll go with a .22 can first since it appears to be more versatile. I also think I'll be shooting the Five-seveN more than the Glock 23. The Five-seveN is so much fun to shoot.

I don't have a .22 rimfire host yet. I'd love to get a Sig Mosquito or Walther P22, but I've read so many bad or lukewarm things about them. I have a Ruger Mark I with the long tapered bull barrel. A Pac-Lite threaded receiver sounds nice, but that costs as much as a whole Mosquito or P22.

Is the peroxide vinegar mix toxic when just used to clean gunpowder? I could definately see it being toxic after being used to clean lead. I've got an old case tumbler I could probably use to clean the baffles and access to a bead blaster at work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts