FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 options right now for can use on my sbr.

1) pick up fixed mount threaded in 1/2x28 for use with my Octane 45 HD

Pros: Will keep the OAL of the firearm short not needing a mount.
Will allow me to use the can on my 4.5" 22lr AR15 upper.
Has allot of bore apeture so less baffle strikes(will be shooting cast and powdercoated 55 pills at ss velocities) should one go squirelly
Can be taken apart to clean powder residue for dirty powders.
Is very light wieght and wont make the rifle front heavy

Cons: Has allot of bore apeture so it will be louder.
Adds more length than the YHM Phantom

2) pick up a YHM Phantom QD flash hider mount

Pros: Good internal volume for the small cartridge voulme
Tight bore apeture so will suppress better
Makes less OAL of the rifle W/ can attached
Everything is self contained dont have to switch mounts around
Locking design prevents suppressor backing off

Cons: Unsuppressed it ads almost 2" to OAL of rifle
NON user serviceable
Makes the rifle front heavy vs Octane 45 HD

Anyone care to pitch in on this have not heard either can on an sbr ps90 and not sure which way to go.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I'm still waiting for my stamp and my Gemtech. I have a YHM Phantom... but never thought of running that with an adapter... I suppose I could ... ?
Sorry I am just babling on here !

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
I have used 9mm pistol, 9mm SMG, 5.56 rifle, 7.62 rifle and caliber specific 5.7 cans as well as a couple of smaller .22 LR cans that are rated for the 5.7, like the Sparrow. I wouldn't use the Sparrow if I had a choice. It works OK but is slightly overwhelmed on this platform, IMO. All the rest work quite well and you don't really notice the heavier cans all that much as the weight is very close to your hands. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Is it a QD or direct threads?
QD, not sure I could couple it ? Probably not an adapter out there, I could make something special but what a pain.

Mark has a good point ...
I'm just drooling for my stamp & can....

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
QD, not sure I could couple it ? Probably not an adapter out there, I could make something special but what a pain.

Mark has a good point ...
I'm just drooling for my stamp & can....
Why not? You use a 1/2x28 adapter and put a 1/2x28 YHM qd on it and then put your can on. Piece of cake, why would you need a special part?

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
If you hadn't said .22 I would use the AAC M4-2000. It will be a little heavier that a .22 silencer but a lot quieter and you could still fun it on your AR. If you shoot .22 at all then get a .22 silencer since everything else will fill up with lead.

·
Administrator
12,026 Posts
Yup, lead buildup is a big problem unless you have a dedicated .22 can.

I use my Evo 9mm on my SBR and it works just fine. It also works on my FiveseveN. And I like the fact that it is a direct thread in 1/2X28 so a few seconds removing the FH and I am ready to attach the can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well my barrel was done by TROS and i have the 1/2x28 threaded "barrel nut" already. Already have both cans just dont have a Fixed barrel mount for the octane 45 HD in 1/2x28 nor do i have an extra Q/D for the phantom.

For you guys that have shot bigger bore suppressors on the 5.7 how does the suppression suffer? Not to worried about leading issues as any cast bullets I shoot will all be powdercoated so leading is a non issue. And only the user serviceable can will get 22LR.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
When you are in the 130's on DB with rounds like the 5.7 most people can notice a 2-3 db change. Because of the way that DB stack each change in the 130 range is closer to 3 to your ear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have used 9mm pistol, 9mm SMG, 5.56 rifle, 7.62 rifle and caliber specific 5.7 cans as well as a couple of smaller .22 LR cans that are rated for the 5.7, like the Sparrow. I wouldn't use the Sparrow if I had a choice. It works OK but is slightly overwhelmed on this platform, IMO. All the rest work quite well and you don't really notice the heavier cans all that much as the weight is very close to your hands. YMMV.
Mark I have not SBR'd my PS90 yet but I plan to in the very near future. I have the Octane 9, Griffin Rev9, Saker 7.62 and a Spectre II. My Saker was bought for dual purpose to be used on 5.56 also but I'm debating getting the Saker 5.56 K for the PS90 since I already have the mounting system and it would be much lighter since I think the 7.62 would be very front heavy... Do you think it would be a worthwhile addition or would I be just as well off by using one my 9mm silencer or Spectre? How much of a difference wild they be in the perceived volume?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Mark I have not SBR'd my PS90 yet but I plan to in the very near future. I have the Octane 9, Griffin Rev9, Saker 7.62 and a Spectre II. My Saker was bought for dual purpose to be used on 5.56 also but I'm debating getting the Saker 5.56 K for the PS90 since I already have the mounting system and it would be much lighter since I think the 7.62 would be very front heavy... Do you think it would be a worthwhile addition or would I be just as well off by using one my 9mm silencer or Spectre? How much of a difference wild they be in the perceived volume?
I have a sbr ps90 with a octane9. My m42000 is super heavy compared to the octane. I would suggest trying out the cans you have first before picking a new one up. A heavy can on the ps90 sbr platform really messes with balance

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a sbr ps90 with a octane9. My m42000 is super heavy compared to the octane. I would suggest trying out the cans you have first before picking a new one up. A heavy can on the ps90 sbr platform really messes with balance
How does the sound compare between the two host? I would like to try before buying another but given ATF wait times and potential 41P I would rather buy now while I can if it would be a worthwhile addition.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
How does the sound compare between the two host? I would like to try before buying another but given ATF wait times and potential 41P I would rather buy now while I can if it would be a worthwhile addition.
I only have 1 host. The m4200 is going to be quieter but at a huge tradeoff of weight. my octane is hearing safe or near it so I run that all the time and dont bother with the weight of the m4 + mount

·
Registered
309 Posts
Jeremy, I am waiting for my Mini 4 I had ordered to come in and was wondering if you had a chance to test one on a PS90. It's obviously shorter and lighter then the M4-2000 (the reason I bought it for my SBR) but would it be hearing safe on a PS90? (yes I know it's not hearing safe on my SBR) I figure it's gotta have more internal volume then the sparrow which everyone seems to rave about on the PS90. Thanks.
If you hadn't said .22 I would use the AAC M4-2000. It will be a little heavier that a .22 silencer but a lot quieter and you could still fun it on your AR. If you shoot .22 at all then get a .22 silencer since everything else will fill up with lead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried my saker 5.56 on my SBR ps90 last night with trifecta saker flash hider on a 1/2-28 adapter.

the package is roughly 20 oz's. It makes the gun noticeably heavier but is still very manageable balanced. I don't think the trifecta is attractive on the ps90 though.

I’m considering the gemtech trek-t at a paltry 10oz and direct ½-28 thread mount. The color looks nice with the green ps90 as well. The SFN-57 I know very little about but apparently weighs in at 5oz which is nearly unbelievably light and claims 32DB reduction which would be roughly in line with what other cans do on the platform. My issue with the SFN-57 is I can’t do much else with it (beside pick up a 57 pistol) whereas the trek-t could work on 5.56 rifles at least though the direct thread is not how I’d prefer to run AR’s and the likes.
I guess I could try my osprey or one of my octanes though I’d need the fixed spacer. They are roughly 10oz’s as well but are longer/thinner than the rifle cans.
The real question I have is how worthwhile are the effects of the suppressor vs taking the SBR back to nearly stock length/adding weight by putting a suppressor on?

To shell out a grand for a dedicated suppressor would require some benefits vs a casual solution using one of the suppressors I already have.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts