FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finger Font Thumb Electric blue Auto part

Wood Finger Thumb Nail Household hardware

Am getting ready to replace my blacked out suppressor height sights with suppressor height night sights from FNAmerica / FN Parts & Accessories on my FN509 Midsize MRD.

Haven't found a tremendous amount of info but did read the lengthy thread on here about it. Bought a Wheeler pusher and have watched many videos on it's use and did notice it being used "incorrectly" compared to the instructions that come with the Wheeler Pusher in some instances.

From what I've read it's extremely hard to get these out. Some confusion on direction but sounds like from Right to Left as viewed from the rear of the slide and the ejection port on your right. Just want to confirm this before I attempt this this weekend.

I also took pics of the new sights and there is an indent on the underside that I've heard no one mention. Would this be why it's hard to press these out and why it may be necessary to tap with a plastic punch first to get it started?

Anyone who's done this, is there a pin or spring sticking up in the center of the channel of the Dovetail???
Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Font Electric blue
Font Tints and shades Wood Rectangle Electric blue
Finger Wood Household hardware Thumb Electric blue

Rectangle Wood Font Tints and shades Automotive tire
Wood Finger Thumb Nail Household hardware

Finger Font Thumb Electric blue Auto part

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
I have a Wheeler pusher and did not find it difficult to replace the sights on my 509. I believe the indent you mention is simply a byproduct of machining. If I were to guess it could be there to allow the metal to expand under tension. I used a small drop of oil on both sights before installing.

Just a tip that I always do when changing pistol sights. Take a micrometer to determine dead center of your existing sights then use a pencil to mark the slide at that point. Using the micrometer determine dead center of your new sights and mark that with a pencil. Push until the pencil marks align and your zero should either be perfect or just need minor adjustments. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. That was one of my questions. I measured the base of the new sights and they're exactly symmetrical. So unless the slide dovetail is tapered, I didn't see what difference it would make.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a quick update. Was able to push out the sights from right to left (and I agree, I don't think it matters the direction) and pushed the new ones on right to left. Only thing I had to do (and it's in the instructions with the Wheeler pusher) was when you have maximum pressure applied and the sight is not moving, tap the side of the steel of the pusher that's up against the sight with a soft small mallet hammer and then the sight starts moving. That was the main "trick" I wanted to pass on here. Oh, and you do have to remove any optics you might have mounted and reinstall the top plate that covers the optics mounting area.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well when it comes to any work don't on any of my firearms I'll take it to a shop I've been using for the past 4 yrs. Except I can put on grips :D Well I did install a Vortex scope with a Bassett scope mount on my M1A

1 - 9 of 9 Posts