FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the suppressor world as they've just become legal in Minnesota. I've seen the 10 steps to obtaining a suppressor. My question is, when submitting the required paperwork, what are some things that will get your request for a stamp denied. These may be background related or other. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Not real sure about flat out denials, haven't ever heard of one? Lots of incorrect info on the forms or lack of providing required info that will cause a delay with correction but you still receive approval.

My question is, when submitting the required paperwork, what are some things that will get your request for a stamp denied.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know. I'll double check my paperwork before sending it in to avoid delays.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
317 Posts
With the Form 4 it should be easier since the dealer is probably experienced with that Form and is usually very helpful or is the one that actually submits the Form 4. Form 1's are different since most times you are the 'manufacturer' and that Form is filled out by you so mistakes can be made.

With that said though, the examiners can differ in what each will reject your Form for.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They help setup the trust? That's great news. I was about to go to Bill's. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much do they chat get for the service? I'd like to do a trust as I've heard it can speed up the process along with other benefits.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct

·
Registered
876 Posts
Before you purchase and send your form 4 in for approval sit down and figure out if you want to go with a trust or as an individual. If you decide trust make a list of all the people you want to be part of the trust. Remember with a trust the trustee's are allowed to use the NFA weapons and technically anyone else is forbidden from using that NFA item. If you shoot with you kids, wife, father, brother, sister, etc. give them a call and see if they want to be apart of the trust. To make it easy all trustee's should be with you when you setup the trust. That way the notary is there and IMHO it just makes it easy. You can add people later on but it always becomes a PITA because you have to rely on others. This should be a no brainer but don't forget every trustee has to be 21 or older and legally allowed to own a modern firearm. As far as mistakes or problems that you might have.....Most typical issues are incorrectly filled out forms. Remember you need to send everything in duplicate. If the dealer says you don't need to include a 5330.20 form include it anyways. Most times they don't care about the form but once in a blue moon they do. So why not include it JIC. The other thing I recommend is to send the paperwork via USPS express envelop with signature needed and tracking info provided to you. The one time I sent my paperwork via USPS stamps the ATF said they never received it. When I have the tracking info and signature at least I have proof. I suspect they might take better care no to lose your paperwork since someone signed for it as well. After the first successfully approved application you'll see it's not all that hard. I think you will really like shooting suppressed and then want to suppress all your guns. It's one of the best safety device's for a firearm.
PS: After approval ALWAYS do the following!
1.) Have a copy or two of your approved (Stamped) form 4 and copy of trust with the item ALWAYS
2.) LOCK IT UP. When NFA items are stolen it's serious and hurts other NFA owners. Zero legally purchased NFA items used in crime, hopefully shows we don't need new stricter NFA laws.
3.) Repeat steps 1 and 2.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Justin, thank you for the detailed procedure. I'm glad that people in the forum take the time to help out us new guys. It is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Remember with a trust the trustee's are allowed to use the NFA weapons and technically anyone else is forbidden from using that NFA item.
Good post, I just want to clarify one thing. People other than Trustees are not allowed to use NFA items unless a Trustee is present. Anyone can use your silencer if a Trustee is present.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good update. That will make my trustee list much shorter.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Good to know. I'll double check my paperwork before sending it in to avoid delays.
I normally fill mine out w/ class 3 dealer...he has a vested interest in everything being 100%

Reactions: MinnesotaOperator

·
Registered
309 Posts
This. As long as a trustee is present anyone can use it as long as they are not a prohibited person (felon, etc). Heck my LGS lets me use my suppressor that is waiting for form 4 approval without anyone “watching me” and I hand it back to them when I'm done in the range which seems to be pretty common practice.

I would in fact LIMIT who is on the trust because if something were to happen to you your estate (NFA items on the trust) would be divided up EQUALLY among the people on that document from what the gun trust lawyer I went through told me unless there is some special stipulation on your gun trust stating otherwise?

[QUOTE=Jeremy M.;755934]Good post, I just want to clarify one thing. People other than Trustees are not allowed to use NFA items unless a Trustee is present. Anyone can use your silencer if a Trustee is present.[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts